Darren Hayes has come out.........and gotten married.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AchtungBono

Refugee
This is the official statement by Darren Hayes, former singer of Savage Garden, on his civil marriage in London to his partner of two years, Richard.

This is from Darren's official website - www.darrenhayes.com.

+++++

Monday, 17 July 2006

I very rarely make comments about my private life.

But today, as I'm about to begin 6 months in the studio to record what I hope to be the best record of my career, I feel an overwhelming gratitude for the past 10 years of being a performer. Most recently, I've been moving toward a career that is more closely aligned with 'art' than it is 'commerce'. And in keeping on this trajectory - I have become increasingly more emotionally authentic in my music, writing and my relationship to my audience. As so many of you have given me your heart and soul over the past 10 years I thought it only fitting that I too return the respect and inform you of the most significant event in my life.

On June 19th 2006 I married my boyfriend of two years, Richard, in a Civil Partnership ceremony in London.

I can honestly say it was the happiest day of my life.

I feel lucky to live in an era where my relationship can be considered legally legitimate and I commend the UK Government for embracing this very basic Civil Liberty.

I'm proud of who I am, and after what felt like an eternity, I'm finally in a place where my heart is secure and content. And I can finally make sense of all of the searching.

I still maintain the belief that families and relationships are not commodities to be sold off for public consumption. In this regard, I am and will continue to be a public person with a private life.

I have always written songs about human relationships and our journey in life. I've never felt the need to differentiate or speak to a specific part of society. This hasn't changed. I will continue to write songs for everybody and hope that the feelings and thoughts I sing about are universal. Today, as I get on a plane to return to London, my head will be filled with all the future possibilities that I hope to explore musically.

To the people who buy my records, come to my shows and demonstrate on a daily basis their love and support for me and what I do: thank you.

Your overwhelming message to me lately seems to be that you are just glad that I am happy. For this, I am eternally grateful.

To my Mum, Dad, Sister and Brother - thanks for always being so cool and loving me unconditionally.

With love and respect always
Darren Hayes

good for him

truely madly deeply:drool:

I came "this" close to using that song for my wedding song back in 2001

Numb1075 said:
good for him

truely madly deeply:drool:

I came "this" close to using that song for my wedding song back in 2001

Actually, he was married (to a woman) at the time that he wrote that song in 1997, so the sentiment was sincere.

Its a gorgeous song - too bad it makes you sick.

That's a lovely letter, I wish him much happiness

I usually interpret :drool: as good-something that's good, attractive, hot. This one is more the sick :barf: or
icon26.gif
I know you didn't ask me Achtung Bono. That's just my smiley point of view :wink:

AchtungBono said:

Hi BVS....sorry, didn't that icon mean that something makes you sick??

I guess I misunderstood.

It means it's drool worthy...it's a good thing.

Sorry thought you would have known that by now.

Day 1: The :ohmy:

We will discuss the "Oh My" smilie origins
Critical Times to use the "Oh My" smilie
Class breakout sessions

Break for Lunch

Q&A

A high level overview of the :mad: smilie which will be covered tomorrow (unless we're all hung over)

Early Dismisal

Well if this is what makes him happy than good for him! :). Will admit Im extremely surprised though to find out that he is gay. Remember when he wrote Truly Madly Deeply for his wife. Such a beautiful song will always love that one.

I adore Darren Hayes, and am so happy and relieved that he finally got married and stopped being so ambigious about his sexuality. I mean i can totally understand his sentiments of not wanting to be the "gay" ex Savage Garden member, cause that tag just doesn't go away, but obviously his love for his boyfriend goes further then having to have this mentioned in the same breath as his name, like George Michael or Rupert Everett!

But I think Colby (his ex wife) would be happy for him, as I don't think this would come as a surprise to her. I mean, she would have known about it judging from what went on! (and my friends and i have a theory anyway!)

But yay, I hope Darren and Richard will be a shiny happy loving couple for ever! :D

Numb1075 said:
Day 1: The :ohmy:

We will discuss the "Oh My" smilie origins
Critical Times to use the "Oh My" smilie
Class breakout sessions

Break for Lunch

Q&A

A high level overview of the :mad: smilie which will be covered tomorrow (unless we're all hung over)

Early Dismisal

I like that you allowed time for happy hour

:drool:

And reading this I kept thinking Issac Hayes and that didn't seem right

lady luck said:

would you be comfortable if your ex-husband marry a man?

You never know. My aunt-in-law married a gay man and had kids. They eventually split, she remarried, he has a life partner and they all have Christmas together :shrug:

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:

You never know. My aunt-in-law married a gay man and had kids. They eventually split, she remarried, he has a life partner and they all have Christmas together :shrug:

:)

i DIDNT know that darren hayes was gay at all!

i mean all the women LOVED him

songs like truly madly deeply were totally stamping out a will on his manhood

*being a tad bit sarcastic*

I think most of us all had a slight idea he maybe at least bi. Well good for him, I think he is a fantastic singer and songwriter. All the best for what ever he is. Would be interesting to know which songs were written about women or Colby and which were written about men. We know So Beautiful is about Richard but what about others:scratch:

Last edited:
people.com

Lance Bass, the former 'N Sync heartthrob, reveals that he is gay, in an exclusive interview with PEOPLE.

"I knew that I was in this popular band and I had four other guys' careers in my hand, and I knew that if I ever acted on it or even said (that I was gay), it would overpower everything," says Bass, referring to bandmates Joey Fatone, Chris Kirkpatrick, JC Chasez and Justin Timberlake.

"I didn’t know: Could that be the end of ’N Sync? So I had that weight on me of like, ‘Wow, if I ever let anyone know, it's bad.' So I just never did," he says speaking about his sexual orientation for the first time with PEOPLE.

Now, after years of keeping his personal life private, the Mississippi-bred, Southern Baptist-reared Bass, 27, is publicly revealing what he first shared with his friends, then his shocked family.

"He took years to really think about how he was going to tell everyone," says his close buddy Fatone, 29, who was the first 'N Sync bandmate to find out Bass is gay. "I back him up 100 percent." Adds Bass’s longtime pal, actress Christina Applegate: "I've always accepted him as who he is. It's about his own serenity at this point."

Having pursued acting, producing and – most memorably – space flight after ’N Sync went on hiatus in 2002, Bass now is looking ahead to new beginnings. He is in a "very stable" relationship with model-actor-Amazing Race winner Reichen Lehmkuhl, 32, and is developing an Odd Couple-inspired sitcom pilot with Fatone in which his character will be gay.

Mostly, though, he’s just enjoying the relief that comes with the culmination of a long, at times emotionally fraught journey. "The thing is, I’m not ashamed – that’s the one thing I want to say," he explains of his decision to come out. "I don't think it's wrong, I'm not devastated going through this. I'm more liberated and happy than I’ve been my whole life. I'm just happy."

As for why he's talking about this now Bass says, "The main reason I wanted to speak my mind was that (the rumors) really were starting to affect my daily life. Now it feels like it's on my terms. I'm at peace with my family, my friends, myself and God so there's really nothing else that I worry about."

For the full Q&A with Lance Bass, pick up PEOPLE, on newsstands Friday.

Leebonoman96 said:
I think most of us all had a slight idea he maybe at least bi. Well good for him, I think he is a fantastic singer and songwriter. All the best for what ever he is. Would be interesting to know which songs were written about women or Colby and which were written about men. We know So Beautiful is about Richard but what about others:scratch:

Well, Truly Madly Deeply & This Side Of Me (a b-side) were written for Colby while they were still married.

Almost the entire album "Affirmation" (Savage Garden's second album from 1999) were songs that Darren wrote while he and Colby were going through their divorce. Darren was living in New York City and Colby was still in Australia. The separated in 1998 (or therabouts) and divorced in 2000.

Songs like "The Lover After Me", "Hold Me" and "I don't know you anymore" were songs chronicling the divorce.

Looking back now, I believe that Darren's second solo album "The Tension & The Spark" contained one song that I consider a "coming out" song - a song called "Love and Attraction" with lyrics like...."I want her, she wants him, he wants me, I give in, I want her, I want him, I don't want anyone....."

Also, on the same album, there are two songs which I believe were written for Richard: "Feel" and "Light". Songs that talk about finding love after a very long dark period in Darren's life and emerging from darkness into light.

If you want a chronicle of Darren's life, I STRONGLY recommend you start with either the first Savage Garden CD (oddly enough called "Savage Garden"...lol) or the greatest hits collection called: "Truly Madly....Completely". The first SG CD has very melodic and "innocent" pop songs.

Then I suggest you move on to "Affirmation" - as mentioned above, this is Darren's version of group therapy and venting his feelings over the end of his 6-year marriage to Colby.

Darren's first solo album following the split with Daniel Jones is called "Spin". There are a few good tracks on there (including the AMAZINGLY seductive song "Insatiable").

But if you really want a CD that will absolutely tear your heart out musically and lyrically, then I would recommend you check out "The Tension & The Spark". The lyrics are totally autobiographical in which Darren talks about relationships gone sour (the magnificent "Dublin Sky" and the gut-wrenching "Unloveable" with lyrics like: "you make me feel like my father never loved me, you make me feel like the act of love is empty....").

It was also during the promotion of this album that Darren was at his most personal - revealing in interviews about growing up in Brisbane Australia at the hands of an alcoholic, abusive father (who has since reformed and has become his hero).

Darren can write happy songs which can really make you happy or sad songs that can make you want to crawl into bed and never come out. That is the mark of a really great songwriter.

Up to now, Darren has been with SONY - however that relationship is done too and he's now in the studio working on his third solo album which will be released on a new record label.

Besides, his favorite band is U2 and Bono is a GOD to him.........so he can't be all bad.....lol.

Last edited:
truly madly deeply is a great song. savage garden were awesome back in their day. we had this song played at our wedding only cause it was on the radio the first time we had sex. so during the dance we were :giggle: and everyone was 'we're missing the joke?' yeah.

ah well. as long as everyone is happy, what difference does it make?
:up:

Back
Top Bottom