Daniel Lanois to rock our collective asses

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dorian Gray

Refugee
from Canoe:
http://jam.canoe.ca/JamMusic/aug7_lanois-sun.html

Lanois 'gone rocking'
By MIKE ROSS -- Edmonton Sun
After being locked behind glass in recording studios for 10 years, Daniel Lanois is ready to ROCK! He will accept no producing jobs until further notice. He made his own album, Shine, and says he has "secret plans," not so secret anymore, to crank out another one by next summer. His tour will continue indefinitely.

"Gone rocking," reads the sign on his studio door.

Of his impending performance at the Edmonton Folk Music Festival tonight, Lanois says in a soft voice, "It's going to rock." Hard to believe, until he reveals that he's touring with Mother Superior - Henry Rollins' band. What Lanois is to folk music, Henry Rollins is to punk rock, and never the Twain, so to speak, shall meet. Until now.

"There'll be some mellow," Lanois says. "Don't worry. I've got some folk songs that I'll do solo, but others that will make full use of the rock band."

Oh, we're not worried. The folk fest is a unique event in that you can have 20,000 people behaving in an extremely mellow fashion, willing to listen in rapt silence to some bearded fellow they've never heard of sharing his feelings over nothing but a hammered dulcimer, then in a heartbeat be up on their feet hollering their lungs out when some performer pulls out Honky Tonk Woman, say, just for the sheer hell of it. This has actually happened.

In other words, anything goes here. As long as it's not Sgt. Barry Sadler or anything.

It's hard to imagine a more pleasant recording star to talk to than Daniel Lanois. At the end of a 20-minute phone interview, he wishes this reporter "good luck with your journalism" with absolute sincerity, to which I reply, "Good luck with your music."

Hyperbole by understatement. Lanois is a multiple Grammy winner, Juno winner, Hall of Famer, accomplished songwriter, performer and recording artist, but it's his work producing other artists that's brought him international fame. When his client list includes names like U2, Brian Eno, Peter Gabriel, Willie Nelson and Bob Dylan and no names like Def Leppard or Britney Spears, it's more than good luck.

"They invite me in because they want my thing," he says. "Aside from technicalities and what you can learn from someone, what's in somebody's heart is what touches you in the end. I think the folks I've worked with have had something special in all their hearts. That's something you can't go to school for."

The feeling has to be mutual.

His cool superstar friends - and they're all cool; look at the list - keep calling him. Emmylou Harris just happened to "drop by" while Lanois was working on Shine, so she sings on one track. So does Bono.

Lanois's "thing" Bono and the others want so much is easy to define, hard to capture: Magic. Whether it's live or in the studio, "My technique never changes much. I just look for a spot of magic to build on top of, something special that keeps you coming back to a track. I use that technique on all the records I make, including my own."

The only difference when playing live is that you only get one take.

"It's an ongoing mystery to me, the live performances," Lanois says. "I'm a firm believer of coming up with new renditions of songs depending on what configuration I'm working with or the event.

"I'm cool with loss of control. It's kind of a kick in the shins of resourcefulness. I operate in the laboratory a lot of time. I love the challenge of live. You only get one chance at a song., You have to make it work and have it be elevating somehow to listeners. You never know how it's going to be on any given night."

All he needs is a little heart of the lion: a single straight-up whisky right before showtime.

Says Lanois, "Oh, why not."

Spoken like a true rocker.

I love Daniel Lanois. He put on such a great show when I saw him in Chicago a few months ago. I was also lucky enough to get to meet him briefly after the show too. Great guy, very sweet.

Hope he plays in Chicago again during his next tour. :up:

yeah...what j said!

before i saw him live, i had NO CLUE what i was about to experience...he is one talented musician...awesome awesome show and if i get the chance i will not hesistate to go again...and i highly recommend the same to everyone who reads this. his albums don't do his music justice...

Stories for Boys said:
yeah...what j said!

before i saw him live, i had NO CLUE what i was about to experience...he is one talented musician...awesome awesome show and if i get the chance i will not hesistate to go again...and i highly recommend the same to everyone who reads this. his albums don't do his music justice...
We will go,....:wave:

Dorian Gray said:
"There'll be some mellow," Lanois says. "Don't worry. I've got some folk songs that I'll do solo, but others that will make full use of the rock band."

[/B]

We had the pleasure of seeing Daniel last night in a very small (300 capacity) club that was far from full and let me tell you...he did indeed ROCK!

He did the mellow of course but when he let loose with Mother Superior...holy crap, the man kicked ass! He is an amazing guitar player but the highlights for me were his solos on the pedal steel guitar :love: He also did quite few songs in French :sexywink:

We were lucky enough to meet him after the show...he signed my Joshua Tree CD :hyper: and yes, he is a truly gracious man...very humble and appreciative of his fans.

I have a friend who works in his studio and kinda knows him

[/brag]

Basstrap said:
I have a friend who works in his studio and kinda knows him

[/brag]

I know his piano tuner.
[/brag]

I just this morning found out he his playing Saturday night in Taos, NM, (about 1 hour 15 mins. from here) in a tiny little hole in the wall that no one has ever heard of. I spent an hour trying to just find a phone number for where tickets are being sold and had to talk the store owner into selling me a ticket over the phone because it will surely sell out (the guy agreed). Having seen him in NYC many times back in the 80's-90's, I know what an incredible show it will be. What a nice surprise. :love:

He's back in LA this Saturday and we just got our tickets in the mail today...I can't wait.

His show a few weeks ago was AMAZING!

You mean next Saturday? Cos he's in Taos this Saturday (tomorrow). :scratch:

I'm pretty psyched!

joyfulgirl said:
You mean next Saturday? Cos he's in Taos this Saturday (tomorrow). :scratch:

I'm pretty psyched!

:eek:

hehe, yeah I meant next Saturday! I guess I was overly excited :shrug: :laugh:

So the show on Saturday was good. It was in a tiny little adobe dance hall--the kind of place where you might have a wedding reception--with kegs of beer, and wine in plastic cups, lol. That's my New Mexico for you. There couldn't have been more than 150 people there.

It should have been incredible, but something was off (besides the wine in plastic cups). Or maybe it was just me. But I remember Daniel Lanois shows in the 80's/90's being really intense and electrifying, the kind of show that I thought about for days, weeks, and dreamed of seeing again. Or maybe it was that back then there was so much buzz and hype around him, and it was actually a 'big show,' with bandmembers wearing groovy hipster clothes, and a big light show. Not that I need that for a show to be good--I also enjoy the stripped down raw thing. But somehow this show was flat by comparison.

Anyway, whatever it was, I was not nearly as taken with him as I had been. The band was good but not nearly as good as the guys I'd seen him with before. I used to think he was an amazing guitarist but the other night it just sounded like the same thing he was doing 15 years ago. There was nothing fresh or exciting. It was a solid good show but not a great or incredible show, and even after the show I am still not inspired to buy Shine.

In fact, I left during one of the encores :reject:

Last edited:
Where in New Mexico are you, anyway? I'm from Farmington but am in Raleigh, NC for college. I would've been at that very show if not for that, and you can be damn sure I would've stayed for every minute of it. :)

Last edited:
I'm sorry to hear the show wasn't so great for you joyfulgirl :(

Maybe the intensity level varies depending on who his band is for the night...Mother Superior obviously rocked a little harder and that made for a fabulous show last month but I think he's back with his regular band for the rest of the tour.

I hope I'm not disapointed on Saturday!

Shine really is worth a listen though...it didn't grab me at first but now its all I've been listening to for the past month.

typhoon said:
Where in New Mexico are you, anyway? I'm from Farmington but am in Raleigh, NC for college. I would've been at that very show if not for that, and you can be damn sure I would've stayed for every minute of it. :)

OMG, somebody else from NM in here?! I'm in Santa Fe. My family is in southern VA near Raleigh so we travel a similar path. :)

Bono's American Wife said:
I'm sorry to hear the show wasn't so great for you joyfulgirl :(

Maybe the intensity level varies depending on who his band is for the night...Mother Superior obviously rocked a little harder and that made for a fabulous show last month but I think he's back with his regular band for the rest of the tour.

I hope I'm not disapointed on Saturday!

Shine really is worth a listen though...it didn't grab me at first but now its all I've been listening to for the past month.

Don't worry, BAW--I think it was just me! My friend, who had never even heard of Daniel Lanois, loved it and everyone else appeared to as well. It's just one of those things where something wasn't as good as your memory of it (and you know how the mind can exaggerate a memory) but if you hadn't any memory of it at all it would've been fabulous! (Did that make any sense?!)

Anyway, I still think it's great he played TAOS. Nobody plays Taos! The promoter called him halfway through his tour and invited him to Taos but never dreamed he'd actually come, so it was kinda special.

Back
Top Bottom