Dani California=Last Dance of Mary Jane

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've been listening to Tom Petty since I was 8, and until you said DC = MJLD, I didn't even contemplate that connection... and, now that you've mentioned it, I just listened to both songs, and I still don't see how they're comparable.

Also: I know people like to call it 'Last Dance with Mary Jane', but I must insist the title is "Mary Jane's Last Dance". -_- that's bugged me for years.

Edit: Okay, having just listened to it once again... I suppose the verse of Dani California has a similar chord progression on the guitar, but the chorus is completely different, as is the bridge, not to mention the bassline. I don't know if the songs are even in the same key, because my ear isn't that good, but I'm pretty sure they aren't.

Last edited:
babyman said:
All I can say about this song is that is becoming lamer and lamer day after day........................it is taking its place with all the other popsongs

:yes: yup, entirely forgettable song in two months

i see the similarity, but they ARE different.

It's not like Ice Ice Baby and Pressure.....where they are the same song.

there are differences. But they both have that jangly feeling.

i never caught on to that before... but this mp3 link where they actually play the tracks back and back, and then play them at the same time... uh yea... it's almost identical.

i don't think they did it on purpose... but it's the exact same thing. they play the tracks together at the same time and you can't hear the difference.

now i think the radio staiton may have sped the petty track up a bit to get it to match, but it still matched perfectly

Last edited:
hmm, very compelling argument

Maybe someone should fuse the two, isn't that a new trend lately?:wink:

Back
Top Bottom