Dancing with the Stars - Season 5 - Page 10 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 10-29-2007, 06:43 PM   #136
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:27 PM

people.com

Dancing with the Stars pro Tony Dovolani is turning up the heat off the dance floor, criticizing recent calls from judge Carrie Ann Inaba and presenting her with a ballroom rule book after their televised “lift” disagreement.

Dovolani tells PEOPLE that Inaba is ill-equipped to call out the illegal lifts which the former Fly Girl-turned-judge has been frequently pointing out this season: “She does not understand what ballroom dancing is. She’s never done it herself.”

Inaba has chided dance teams—notably Jane Seymour and Dovolani’s waltz—for maneuvers which lift both feet in the air. Dovolani says the moves fall into a “grey area” which Inaba is not trained to navigate. “She’s the inappropriate judge to pick on the lifts,” says Dovolani. “She does not have a ballroom background.…She really comes from the hip-hop world. While we have the utmost respect for her as a dancer—it’s not as a ballroom dancer.”

Calling Out Carrie Ann
He was so frustrated after Inaba called out the lift on Seymour’s Viennese waltz during their Oct. 15 performance that he presented the judge with a ballroom rule book the next day. “Because she does not know anything about ballroom, I figured she should at least read the rule book,” says Dovolani. I highlighted the parts I wanted her to read including the description of what a lift is.”

What was Inaba’s reaction? “She laughed about it and gave me the finger,” he said. “I thought it was a very ladylike gesture. I laughed because I thought I hit home. And then I paid for it this week because…we got the lowest score from her.”

Inaba could not be reached for comment, but a source close to the judge says both the rule book presentation and the gesture never happened. The source went onto to point out that the official rule book for the show is different than the rule book for ballroom dancing.

Partner Seymour has been equally baffled by Inaba’s ruling, posting an item on her blog last Thursday addressing Inaba’s critique.

On the bright side, Dovolani says the lift controversy shows that dancers feel the pressure to turn up the routines this season, heralded by many as the most competitive season ever. “There is no lift crisis.…We’re in a big season,” says Dovolani. “As professionals we have to push the envelope.”

But Dovolani also wants the judges to realize that Seymour, at 56, should be praised for her competitive moves, not punished. “I wish the judges would take into account that Jane is 56 competing against women who are more than 30 years younger than her,” says Dovolani. “When Jerry Springer and John Ratzenberger would go out there, they would basically show up…Jane is actually dancing.”

Old 10-29-2007, 10:34 PM   #137
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 12:27 PM
I agree, I too thought she was a bit technical about the lift stuff-being just barely off the ground really doesn't qualify as anything worth noting to me-but then again, I don't know squat about the technical side of dancing, so...*Shrugs*. I dunno, regarding that guy and his arguments, it's good to hear another take on the whole thing, but I'd just say it happened, people know the rules now and are clearer on it, so just move on and leave it be.

As for the show tonight, eh, for the most part the couples' dances tonight weren't their best ones (though they were still way, way better than I'd ever be). However, there were a few top picks-I'd say these four couples did particularly well:

-Jennie & Derek (how on earth did their arms not get tangled up during their dance? Man, that was impressive)
-Mel and Maksin
-Marie and Tony
-Helio and Julianne (theirs was so cute! That chemistry was strong tonight, so yay)

And that group dance was AWESOME. Holy crap. Go, Sabrina, way to lift a guy like that, that was...whoa . Everyone was absolutely amazing in that. Rock. On .

Angela

Old 10-29-2007, 10:51 PM   #138
Blue Crack Addict

My mom and I watched ET and The Insider back to back one night last week. We kept count and between the 2 shows, they showed Marie Osmond faint 34 times.
Old 10-29-2007, 10:51 PM   #139
Blue Crack Overdose
Get me off the internetz!

Local Time: 10:27 AM
There's something about Carrie Ann Inaba that bugs me but I can't quite put my finger on what it is. Well...the show's about to begin so maybe I'll figure it out tonite.
Old 10-30-2007, 11:27 AM   #140
Sizzlin' Sicilian
Forum Administrator

Is it because she's a biatch?

She bugs me because she's supposed to be an expert ballroom judge and she complains about little things like barely there lifts, yet when they dont really do the dance right (like Cheetah girls' "hard" foxtrot) she doesnt say shit. Or Jenny and her Mambo. Her steps were WAY big.. they should be a lot smaller. And, she kind of lost her footing on one part and Carrie Ann didnt say a word about any of that.
Old 10-30-2007, 11:40 AM   #141
War Child

most couples disappointing. Mel and Maksim i thought were pretty good, dont know if I agree with the 30 but that is just me, Helio was better, but to me he was still stiff as a board at times, didnt like Marie, Jane, cheetah girl not so much, Jenny not the greatest, the soap opera guy, I dont know was ok but nothing much really to get excited about this week.

Andnot only am I gonna miss the results but I am also missing House - the return of old crew,

geesh
Old 10-30-2007, 04:47 PM   #142
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 06:27 PM
So whose is it going to be tonight guys? I still feel the women are definitely the best this season, and we are going to have a woman who will win finally!!
Old 10-30-2007, 06:19 PM   #143
New Yorker

Local Time: 02:27 PM
I can't imagine Dr.Quinn getting booted....she probably has a huge fan base...also all my children dude probably has a huge fan base....I don't know tonight....maybe Marie? and I saw Jennie Garth's big boo-boo last night too...yet, not 1 judge called her out on it???? so strange
Old 10-30-2007, 06:33 PM   #144
Blue Crack Addict

i think carrie ann is pissy because all the guys are dropping out because to me it she seems like she gets all softy when Cameron is dancing.
Old 10-30-2007, 06:42 PM   #145
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 11:27 AM
I must have missed Jennie's goof, then again I was watching at 2:30am I FF thru Marie, as it didn't seem too exciting, and I thought Jane's performance last night was very weak
Old 10-30-2007, 10:15 PM   #146
Blue Crack Addict

Well, what a surprising elimination it was !!

I really thought that Jane & Tony had their time on the show expiring.

Then I thought next week would probably be time for Marie & Jonathan.

But, low-and-behold what Len said ... he thought Sabrina & Mark's performance was too hard, almost as if they forced themselves to dance serious.

Although, it paid off with the audience's votes as Sabrina & Mark have indeed come to an end this evening.

Be sure to catch 'Good Morning, America' tomorrow as Sabrina & Mark will be on that show to talk about their unfortunate fate.
Old 10-30-2007, 10:28 PM   #147
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 06:27 PM
Everyone was
Old 10-30-2007, 10:32 PM   #148
Blue Crack Overdose
Get me off the internetz!

I'm glad about Sabrina. And the show's not yet on here in California!
Old 10-30-2007, 10:33 PM   #149
ONE
love, blood, life

How can you be glad?

She was arguably the best dancer on the show.

Absurd that she was eliminated.

The only more absurd DWTS elimination was when Stacey Keibler was eliminated before Jerry Rice a couple years ago.
Old 10-30-2007, 10:43 PM   #150
New Yorker

Local Time: 02:27 PM

so yeah, I guess she did not have a huge voting fan-base....like Dr. Quinn, soap opera dude and Marie
she definately is a better dancer than any of them