Dana Reeve Has Died - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-07-2006, 08:23 AM   #1
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:21 PM
Dana Reeve Has Died

msnbc.com has a breaking news headline that she has died of lung cancer. I thought she would make it.

She was quite a woman

Reeve died Monday of lung cancer at Memorial Sloan-Kettering Medical Center, said Sean Dougherty, a spokesman for the foundation.

“We are extremely saddened by the death of Dana Reeve, whose grace and courage under the most difficult of circumstances was a source of comfort and inspiration to all of us,” Kathy Lewis, president and CEO of the foundation, said in a statement.
Reeve won worldwide admiration for her support of her husband, the one-time Hollywood “Superman” turned activist for spinal cord research after a horse-riding accident in 1996.

She served as chairwoman of the Christopher Reeve Foundation and founded the Christopher and Dana Reeve Paralysis Resource Center.

Christopher Reeve died in 2004. In August, Dana Reeve announced she had been diagnosed with lung cancer. She said she had never smoked.

'A man who never gave up'
She said in November that said she was able to keep her spirits up because she “had a great model. ... I was married to a man who never gave up.”

Reeve lived in Westchester County, near New York, with the couple’s teenage son, Will. She has appeared on Broadway, off-Broadway and regional stages and on the TV shows “Law & Order,” “Oz,” and “All My Children.”

“Dana will always be remembered for her passion, strength and ceaseless courage that became her hallmark,” Lewis said. “Along with her husband, Christopher, she faced adversity with grace and determination, bringing hope to millions around the world.”

She is survived by her father, Dr. Charles Morosini; sisters Deborah Morosini and Adrienne Morosini Heilman; two stepchildren, Matthew and Alexandra; and her son.

Old 03-07-2006, 08:43 AM   #2
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 07:21 AM
That is a tragedy! She was at an appearance not too long ago and looked great. My thoughts and prayers are with her son and step children.

Old 03-07-2006, 08:55 AM   #3
ONE
love, blood, life

Having 2 sons I couldn't even imagine leaving them....heartbreaking news....Many prayers to her son
Old 03-07-2006, 08:59 AM   #4
ONE
love, blood, life

That is absolutely horrible
Old 03-07-2006, 09:21 AM   #5
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:21 PM
That's so sad.
Old 03-07-2006, 09:30 AM   #6
Blue Crack Addict

Wow, sad news.
Never smoked but got lung cancer, thats a raw deal.
Old 03-07-2006, 09:44 AM   #7
Blue Crack Addict

Heard this on GMA this morning...it's so sad for her family. At least she's with Chris now.
Old 03-07-2006, 10:31 AM   #8
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:21 AM
Old 03-07-2006, 10:53 AM   #9
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

My God - I'd never heard the announcement that she had lung cancer! What a tragedy... my heart goes out to her sons & remaining family. Christopher Reeve's handling of his condition truly made him Superman... there's no doubt that Dana was Superwoman. RIP.
Old 03-07-2006, 11:04 AM   #10
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 12:21 PM
RIP Dana Reeve may you and your husband live in eternal happiness and peace.
Old 03-07-2006, 11:09 AM   #11
Refugee

Local Time: 07:21 PM
She was truly one of the most courageous women I've heard of.

R.I.P Dana.....its time for the angel on earth to take her place in heaven....

+++++++

The following is from the CNN website:

WHITE PLAINS, New York(AP) -- Dana Reeve, who won worldwide admiration for her devotion to her "Superman" husband, Christopher Reeve, through his decade of near-total paralysis, has died of lung cancer at the age of 44.

Reeve, a singer-actress who gave up some of her own career to be one of the nation's best-known caregivers, died late Monday at Memorial Sloan-Kettering Medical Center, said Kathy Lewis, president of the Christopher Reeve Foundation.

Reeve had succeeded her husband as chair of the foundation, which funded research into spinal-cord paralysis cures. She announced in August that, while she wasn't a smoker, she had been diagnosed with lung cancer. (Watch CNN announces Reeve's death -- 1:49)

Lewis visited Reeve in the hospital Friday and said Reeve was "tired but with her typical sense of humor and smile, always trying to make other people feel good, her characteristic personality."

"She was a woman with an incredible heart who really put herself out there to help people with disabilities and especially those who are caregivers -- something she knew a lot about," Lewis said.

Four months ago, at a fundraising gala for the foundation, Reeve looked healthy in a long, formal gown and said she was responding well to treatment and her tumor was shrinking.

"I'm beating the odds and defying every statistic the doctors can throw at me," Reeve said then. "My prognosis looks better all the time."

Asked how she kept her spirits up, Reeve said she "had a great model."

"I was married to a man who never gave up," she said.

Christopher Reeve, star of Hollywood's "Superman" movies, became an activist for spinal cord research after a horse-riding accident paralyzed him in 1995. He died October 10, 2004.

Dana Reeve was a constant companion and supporter of her husband during his long ordeal and his work for a cure for spinal cord injuries.

The couple had a 13-year-old son, Will, and Dana Reeve had two grown stepchildren, Matthew and Alexandra.

Reeve, who lived in Pound Ridge, had appeared on Broadway, off-Broadway and regional stages and on the TV shows "Law & Order," "Oz," and "All My Children."

She was on the board of the Williamstown Theatre Festival in Massachusetts, where she met Christopher Reeve doing summer theater, and the Shakespeare Theatre of New Jersey.

A year ago, she won a Mother of the Year award from the American Cancer Society. A society vice president, Dr. Michael Thun, said Reeve "has shown strength and courage in the face of tremendous adversity." Doctors say 1 in 5 women diagnosed with the disease never lit a cigarette.

In addition to her son and step-children, she is survived by her father, Dr. Charles Morosini, and sisters Deborah Morosini and Adrienne Morosini Heilman.

No funeral plans were announced. The family said donations could be made in Dana Reeve's memory to the Christopher Reeve Foundation in Short Hills, New Jersey.
Old 03-07-2006, 11:52 AM   #12
Blue Crack Supplier

Location: 8 years and I still can't think of anything witty to put here
Old 03-07-2006, 11:57 AM   #13
Blue Crack Addict

Their son Will is only 13

Old 03-07-2006, 12:35 PM   #14
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 12:21 PM
I heard this on the radio as I was driving into work. How incredibly tragic. My thoughts and prayers are with her family. She was a truly wonderful woman.
Old 03-07-2006, 12:40 PM   #15
ONE
love, blood, life

Very sad news.