Damn You Man U! - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-09-2003, 11:58 PM   #1
Blue Crack Addict

Location: basking in my post-concert glow still mesmerized by the orbit of his hips..Also Holding Bono Close as he requested.
Local Time: 01:43 AM
Damn You Man U!

Ok, i am going to be mad as hell if dont get to see my boy next month!

[q]Time to move on, admits Beckham

Daniel Taylor
Tuesday June 10, 2003
The Guardian

David Beckham has reluctantly accepted his future lies away from Manchester United. In his first interview since the club confirmed Italian and Spanish clubs had "expressed a firm interest", Beckham made it clear he is prepared to move if United no longer want him. "I've never said that I would never move away from Manchester," he said, "and I've never said that I would end my career there."
Five weeks since issuing a statement saying he wants to stay at Old Trafford, the England captain now seems increasingly resigned to the idea that Sir Alex Ferguson considers him dispensable.

Asked directly about his future, he told the Los Angeles Times yesterday: "There will always be changes at a club like Manchester United. With all the big teams, there are always going to be changes."

One option that would have appealed to Beckham seemed to close yesterday, however, when Milan's president Silvio Berlusconi ended their interest, saying: "There are many better ways of spending money."

However, Berlusconi was similarly dismissive of a move for the Lazio defender Alessandro Nesta last year; a month later he was a Milan player.

Beckham emphasised he had not instigated the transfer discussions and was not seeking to leave. "The rumours have been going on for two months now. About a month ago, it was Real Madrid and now it's Barcelona. But I'm a Manchester United player and I'm contracted for another two years. As long as they want me, then I'll stay."

Yet he is also acutely aware that United's hierarchy have answered that question by touting him across the continent. And on Thursday there will be another significant development when Pini Zihavi, the Israeli agent employed by United to get the best price, flies in for talks with senior officials and Beckham's advisers, Tony Stephens and Jon Holmes.

Zihavi is a close associate of Joan Laporta, the Barcelona presidential candidate who has promised to sign Beckham if he wins the club elections this weekend. However, Beckham has reservations about joining a club who have not yet qualified for next season's Uefa Cup.

That leaves Real Madrid as the most likely suitors, although it has also become clear that Beckham and his wife would prefer a move to Italy. He might also be aggrieved to find that his status at Old Trafford is not such that the fans will side with him against Ferguson.

Richard Kurt, author of several books on the club, said: "If Beckham played for another club and was available for 30m, should we buy him? Every United fan to whom I've put that question has said 'no'.

"There's a huge divergence in those fans who never go to Old Trafford, and are up in arms, to those who go week in week out. He's an icon to the new-age football fan, the mothers and the girls. But the regular fans are two to one in favour of letting him go."

[/q]

Old 06-10-2003, 04:35 AM   #2
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:43 PM
greatest. thread. title. ever.

isn't he already in the states, conducting football clinics?

Old 06-10-2003, 08:17 AM   #3
Blue Crack Addict

Location: basking in my post-concert glow still mesmerized by the orbit of his hips..Also Holding Bono Close as he requested.
Quote:
Originally posted by yertle-the-turtle
greatest. thread. title. ever.

isn't he already in the states, conducting football clinics?
lol thanks. if he is here conducting clinics i am signing my nephews up NOW!
Old 06-10-2003, 08:23 AM   #4
ONE
love, blood, life

if I remember correctly it was a clinic for girls. the soccer authorities were talking about beckham being like a 'robert de niro' figure or something. I can't find any articles online though.
Old 06-10-2003, 08:30 AM   #5
Blue Crack Addict

lucky girls... thank goodness i have nieces too. i will sign my niece up.
Old 06-11-2003, 04:35 AM   #6
ONE
love, blood, life

Ok, I found some info on his trip. It was a private vacation with the wife to California, I think. He has an interview with the LA Times today.
Old 06-11-2003, 06:01 AM   #7
ONE
love, blood, life

Location: Angie Jolie lover from Belfast Norn Ireland. I LOVE YOU ANGIE! Im a Bono fan!
Local Time: 07:43 AM
I dunno, somehow him being in Hollywood was the last straw, now I dont know if its because Alex Ferguson sees him as abusing his role as a footballer and uping his status more and more to be more famous..............put it this way, Ive never seen another footballer get about and so on like him...so maybe hes been seen as 'overconfident' now. and Sr Alex doesnt like his players like that...

Old 06-11-2003, 09:57 AM   #8
Blue Crack Addict

i think he should stay state side and help the MLS.

lol as if they could afford him. well i am being selfish about this, i just want to see him play in July. after that he can leave.
Old 06-11-2003, 11:42 AM   #9
ONE
love, blood, life

I was thinking about the MLS
Kinda like Pele playing for the Cosmos in the 70s
Old 06-11-2003, 11:43 AM   #10
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by zonelistener
I was thinking about the MLS
Kinda like Pele playing for the Cosmos in the 70s
Exactly!
Old 06-13-2003, 03:20 PM   #11
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 06:43 AM
I want him to go to Real. Anything to get his butt out of Man U so I can stop hating him. (He's really too pretty to hate, y'know. )
Old 06-13-2003, 03:27 PM   #12
Blue Crack Addict

yes i know.
Old 06-13-2003, 09:41 PM   #13
ONE
love, blood, life

I read in my paper yesterday that the majority of the US couldn't give a f**k about him or Victoria.

I think the Washington Post or something gave him a horrible review.
Old 06-13-2003, 09:47 PM   #14
Blue Crack Addict

of course. he is not well known over here. if they would have asked me i would have said i do give a fuck about him.
Old 06-13-2003, 09:59 PM   #15
ONE
love, blood, life

there was this fun story about how he and Victoria went to this store and demanded the owner shut it up so they could browse.

owner: no, who are you?
victoria: we're famous in britain
owner: oh you're not famous here!
victoria: shut the shop!
owner: i get britney in here all the time and she never tells me to shut the shop!

he shut it. stars.