Damn You Man U!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MissVelvetDress_75

Blue Crack Addict
basking in my post-concert glow still mesmerized b
Ok, i am going to be mad as hell if dont get to see my boy next month!

[q]Time to move on, admits Beckham

Daniel Taylor
Tuesday June 10, 2003
The Guardian

David Beckham has reluctantly accepted his future lies away from Manchester United. In his first interview since the club confirmed Italian and Spanish clubs had "expressed a firm interest", Beckham made it clear he is prepared to move if United no longer want him. "I've never said that I would never move away from Manchester," he said, "and I've never said that I would end my career there."
Five weeks since issuing a statement saying he wants to stay at Old Trafford, the England captain now seems increasingly resigned to the idea that Sir Alex Ferguson considers him dispensable.

Asked directly about his future, he told the Los Angeles Times yesterday: "There will always be changes at a club like Manchester United. With all the big teams, there are always going to be changes."

One option that would have appealed to Beckham seemed to close yesterday, however, when Milan's president Silvio Berlusconi ended their interest, saying: "There are many better ways of spending money."

However, Berlusconi was similarly dismissive of a move for the Lazio defender Alessandro Nesta last year; a month later he was a Milan player.

Beckham emphasised he had not instigated the transfer discussions and was not seeking to leave. "The rumours have been going on for two months now. About a month ago, it was Real Madrid and now it's Barcelona. But I'm a Manchester United player and I'm contracted for another two years. As long as they want me, then I'll stay."

Yet he is also acutely aware that United's hierarchy have answered that question by touting him across the continent. And on Thursday there will be another significant development when Pini Zihavi, the Israeli agent employed by United to get the best price, flies in for talks with senior officials and Beckham's advisers, Tony Stephens and Jon Holmes.

Zihavi is a close associate of Joan Laporta, the Barcelona presidential candidate who has promised to sign Beckham if he wins the club elections this weekend. However, Beckham has reservations about joining a club who have not yet qualified for next season's Uefa Cup.

That leaves Real Madrid as the most likely suitors, although it has also become clear that Beckham and his wife would prefer a move to Italy. He might also be aggrieved to find that his status at Old Trafford is not such that the fans will side with him against Ferguson.

Richard Kurt, author of several books on the club, said: "If Beckham played for another club and was available for ?30m, should we buy him? Every United fan to whom I've put that question has said 'no'.

"There's a huge divergence in those fans who never go to Old Trafford, and are up in arms, to those who go week in week out. He's an icon to the new-age football fan, the mothers and the girls. But the regular fans are two to one in favour of letting him go."

[/q]

:scream:

if I remember correctly it was a clinic for girls. the soccer authorities were talking about beckham being like a 'robert de niro' figure or something. I can't find any articles online though.

I dunno, somehow him being in Hollywood was the last straw, now I dont know if its because Alex Ferguson sees him as abusing his role as a footballer and uping his status more and more to be more famous..............put it this way, Ive never seen another footballer get about and so on like him...so maybe hes been seen as 'overconfident' now. and Sr Alex doesnt like his players like that...

:shrug:

there was this fun story about how he and Victoria went to this store and demanded the owner shut it up so they could browse.

owner: no, who are you?
victoria: we're famous in britain
owner: oh you're not famous here!
victoria: shut the shop!
owner: i get britney in here all the time and she never tells me to shut the shop!

he shut it. :lol: stars.

Beckham honoured by Queen

England captain David Beckham has been awarded the OBE in the Queen's Birthday Honours List.

The Manchester United midfielder, who is likely to leave Old Trafford for either Real Madrid or Barcelona this summer, has been honoured for his contribution to football.

The 28-year-old will go to Buckingham Palace to collect the award. Beckham joins Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger and Liverpool boss Gerard Houllier in being awarded the OBE.

Beckham said: 'I am honoured and privileged to received this recognition. It's not just for me but for Manchester United, England, all of my team-mates and my family.'

It is highly unusual for a footballer to receive an honour without it being linked to specific occasion such as international retirement or excellence in a particular competition.

However, a Downing Street spokesman said the award was recognition for Beckham's ambassadorial role off the field as much as his skills on the pitch.

A spokesman for the Prime Minister said: `As captain of the England team, David Beckham has performed with great distinction and has been a great ambassador for the country on and off the field and that is the reason why he receives his award.'

In the last few weeks, Beckham has played a prominent public relations role for the Football Association, including such duties as meeting Nelson Mandela and a television appeal to England fans calling for good behaviour.

Beckham was not the only footballer honoured. Manchester City's Bermudan striker Shaun Goater was made an MBE for services to sport and young people in his home country.

Beckham has already won the Premiership six times, the FA Cup twice and the Champions League in 1999.

He has twice been runner-up in the World Player of the Year award, was the BBC's Sports Personality of the Year in 2001 and has scored 11 goals in 60 games for England.

The Leytonstone-born midfielder has scored 86 goals in 397 games for Manchester United.

yertle-the-turtle said:
there was this fun story about how he and Victoria went to this store and demanded the owner shut it up so they could browse.

owner: no, who are you?
victoria: we're famous in britain
owner: oh you're not famous here!
victoria: shut the shop!
owner: i get britney in here all the time and she never tells me to shut the shop!

he shut it. :lol: stars.

for that they both get: :der: :tsk: :down:

i hate when stars pull that "do you know who i am bit" ego's :|

I used to hate Man U with a passion until I realised it was Arsenal who are the true satan spawn. :wink:
I can't see him playing anywhere other than England though.

Arsenal have got Bergkamp, Henri and Pires

if it wasn't for Arsenal my life would lose all meaning :mad:

well, okay, I'm not really

but when compared to man utd I would even support bayern munich
(not to insult any bayern munich fans btw :):) )

yeah, I hate to say it, but I'm a pseudo-Arsenal supporter on the side. Partly Nick Hornby's fault, partly the fact that I gave in to a bit of peer pressure, but mostly Bergkamp, Henry and Pires. Especially Bergkamp. That goal against Leverkusen was something.

Sorry Iris, but looks like it's Spain for Becks...

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/headlinenews?id=269967&cc=5739
Beckham to join Real in ?25m switch

Dale Johnson

David Beckham has agreed to sign a four-year contract with Real Madrid, scuppering Barcelona's hopes of luring the England skipper to the Nou Camp.

Manchester United confirmed on Tuesday evening that they had accepted a bid of ?25million for the midfielder, and that he had already settled personal terms with the Spanish club.

Beckham will have a medical at the Bernabeu on July 1 and sign his contract, which has the option of a further year, the following day.

Spanish radio station Marca had broken the news, forcing United to issue a statement.

It read: 'Manchester United today reached agreement for the transfer of David Beckham to Real Madrid for a fee of 35million euros (approximately ?25m).

'The deal is expected to be completed in July, conditional upon approval by the boards of Manchester United and Real Madrid, and on the provision of satisfactory payment guarantees.

'David Beckham has agreed personal terms with Real Madrid and expects to sign his new contract with the club on completion.'

Beckham left United by holding out an olive branch to his former manager. He said: 'I would like to publicly thank Sir Alex Ferguson for making me the player I am today.

'I will always hold precious memories of my time at Manchester United and Old Trafford as well as the players, who I regard as part of my family, and the brilliant fans who have given me so much support over the years and continue to do so.

'I recognise that this is an amazing opportunity for me at this stage in my career and a unique and exciting experience for my family. I know that I will always regret it later in life if I had turned down the chance to play at another great club like Real Madrid, which also has world-class players.

'I would like to thank other clubs who were interested in signing me including Barcelona and I wish them every success in the future, but I really want to play in the Champions League.

'I wish Manchester United the best of luck and led by such an inspirational captain as Roy Keane, I am sure they will continue to go from strength to strength.'

Real Madrid sporting director Jorge Valdano was delighted with the coup. He told the club's website: 'We are extremely pleased with David's arrival. It is a strategic signing that will contribute to the club and the team becoming more competitive.

'Our relationship with Manchester United has been reinforced with this agreement, but there is no doubt that David's firm and unequivocal wish to play at Real Madrid has been the reason that this deal has been possible.'

Under the terms of the agreement, 7.5m euros (?5.2m) of the total fee will be paid upon completion of the sale, and 17.5m euros (?12.24m) over the following four years in equal instalments.

The remaining 10m euros (?7m) are conditional upon Real Madrid's performances in the UEFA Champions League.

Under the deal, 1.25m euros (?870,000) are payable in each of the next four seasons conditional on Real Madrid qualifying for the Champions League, and a further 1.25m euros are payable each season conditional on Real Madrid reaching the quarter-finals of the Champions League over the same period.

United manager Sir Alex Ferguson added: 'I've known David since he was 11 years of age, and it's been a pleasure to see him grow and develop into the player he has become.

'David has been an integral part of all the successes that Manchester United have achieved in the last decade. I would like to wish him and his family every success in the future, and thank him for his service to the club.'

Peter Kenyon, United chief executive, said: 'While we are sad to see David go after so many great years at Old Trafford, we believe this is a good deal for the club, and we now look forward to building on the success of last season's championship title.

'We wish David all the best in his new career in Spain and thank him for his fantastic contribution to the team's achievements in the last decade. We have worked closely with David's advisors throughout the past few weeks and thank them for their co-operation.'

A spokesman for SFX, Beckham's advisors, said: 'Manchester United have been professional, fair and open in all of their dealings with David - he will always have the greatest memories of his time at Old Trafford.'

Contrary to several media reports in both countries this week, the transfer will not include any exchange of players. It has been reported that the transfer was agreed as long ago as May 12.

The 28-year-old, currently on his way to Japan for a promotional tour, will reportedly be paid ?90,000-a-week and receive 50 per cent of all future image rights.

Another rumour is that Beckham will wear the number '77' shirt, as Raul has worn '7' for years.

New Barcelona president Joan Laporta had made Beckham the central figure in election campaign, but it was always thought Beckham would reject a move to the Catalan club, who are in danger of missing out on a place in Europe for next season.

'Beckham's representatives presented an unscalable wall,' Laporta told Antena 3 television tonight.

Italian clubs AC and Inter Milan were also linked with Beckham, but Real have won the race for his signature.

Real Madrid will win the Spanish title on Sunday if they beat Atletico Bilbao at the Bernabeu, ironically a result which could well see rivals Barcelona qualify for the UEFA Cup.

Back
Top Bottom