Damien Rice Complaint

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Diemen

Resident Photo Buff
Staff member
First off, let me say that I love "O" - it's one of my favorite albums, actually. That said...

What in the HELL was he thinking when he upped the the tempo and added drums and bass for the Cannonball single!? :mad: Seriously!! It almost completely kills the mood of the song and makes it sound like just another ho-hum pop song. The album version is soooo much better I don't know how they could have settled on this version for the single.

Actually I probably do - the record label execs probably said "Hey, this song is nice, but we all think it'd be just super if it was a little faster and had some drums." Friggin execs. :madspit:

Aaanywho...

I agree. I was shocked when I first heard it on the radio. :down:

And nothing on 'O' prepares you for his astonishing live performances which have nothing resembling a pop song in the set.

Be glad you haven't heard it. It's the kind of single where if you hadn't heard Damien Rice before and this was your first exposure, your reaction would be to change the station.

And that's what pisses me off. The single does a really poor job at representing Damien Rice. They should yank it and put the album version out instead.

I have never understood what is so great about Damien Rice, I thought O was tragic. :slant:

I love O...really dont know why they made the new single version, if they had to do it they should of released it as a b side and have the original as the single...

Anyway I still love Damo...really want to see him in concert again. One of the best I've ever been to.

Last edited:
joyfulgirl said:
And nothing on 'O' prepares you for his astonishing live performances which have nothing resembling a pop song in the set.
:yes: very different live...I actually found "O" a bit boring at times, until I saw him live.

I haven't heard the cannonball single yet. Seeing as it's just about my favorite song of his, I hope it stays that way.

The Cannonball radio version sounds scarily adult contemporary rock :no: whereas live he is more like Thom Yorke meets Jeff Buckley :cute: .

Back
Top Bottom