Damien Rice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
For all you Damien fans....the wait is nearly over.

On his official website they are saying the new cd will be out later this year, with a title of "9".

Can't wait!!!!

That's almost worth the fact that I was supposed to see him this weekend but he dropped out.

inmyplace13 said:
For you Damo fans, here are some live boots of the two songs I was so wild about:

Rootless Tree - http://www.you sendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=5B37C72D4171B600

I missed it the first time around, could you re-upload it, imp? :hyper:

From Eskimofriends -

The album will be released on November 6th. The tracklisting is:

1. 9 Crimes
2. The Animals Were Gone
3. Elephant
4. Rootless Tree
5. Dogs
6. Coconut Skins
7. Me, My Yoke And I
8. Grey Room
9. Accidental Babies
10. Sleep Don't Weep

Oh man I am so excited for this album. Even more excited to see "Me, My Yoke, and I" and "Rootless Tree" made the cut.

Looooooves it.

And yeah, Souly. I'll up those songs when I get a chance.

U2 Bliss said:
For all you Damien fans....the wait is nearly over.

On his official website they are saying the new cd will be out later this year, with a title of "9".

Can't wait!!!!

Miss Bliss loves Damien :love: :love: :D

God I’ve not checked the forum for ages and the Damien thread has started again……..was wondering how long it would take.

Miss Trance you’ve yet to see the light….the guy is a genius!! So until then...I'll just keep reminding you via email each day ha ha....

So self confession, I'm a huge Damien fan - can't bloody wait for this November which is shaping up to be the best month ever for me…. 2 U2 gigs in Melbourne and a new Damien CD.

Okay onto a serious note…can anyone shed any light on when a release of Damien’s cd might happen in Oz?? I’ve yet to find a store that is getting it in before xmas - think I’m going to have to order it from o/seas.

U2 Bliss said:

Miss Trance you’ve yet to see the light….the guy is a genius!! So until then...I'll just keep reminding you via email each day ha ha....

Damien, Damien, Damien!! :wink:

yes, I know he is a genius and very nice ... just like ..

oh never mind :wink:

I'm only going to listen to Yoke. I want to save the rest of the album for November to get it fresh and hear it CD quality.

I say that now, but I'll probably give in.

Update: Goooood lord, Yoke is amazing.

Alright, I gave in and downloaded the three song sampler that's floating around, along with a new b side.

1. 9 Crimes
2. Elephant
3. Me, My Fucking Amazing Yoke, and I
4. The Rat Within The Grain (B Side)

I love 9 Crimes simply because Lisa's voice is one of the best in the world. I didn't know what Elephant was at first but as soon as Damo started with "This has got to die..." I got really excited because I knew it was Blower's Daughter Pt. 2. I can't say anything about Yoke that hasn't been said already. And Rat Within The Grain is great, he opened with it when I saw him over the summer so it's nice to have a good album quality version. Too bad it's a b side.

On at ease. I can send you a link if you know how to unpack .rar files.

Actually just download WinRar if you need to unpack them.

inmyplace13 said:
Alright, I gave in and downloaded the three song sampler that's floating around, along with a new b side.
Can't believe you caved in....

Hmm this will test your willpower...The Eskimo site have a link for AOL where you can hear the full CD.

Try to resist that.....

Couldn't resist two days ago. I've listened to the whole thing about three times now and I like it more than 'O'.

inmyplace13 said:
Couldn't resist two days ago. I've listened to the whole thing about three times now and I like it more than 'O'.

So without giving to much away - whats the highlights? And how has it topped "O" after only hearing it on three listens????

Thankfully I've got a huge distraction with the U2 tour at the moment otherwise I probably would have listened to it myself.
Damien on the other hand is someone worth waiting for, I figured I've waited long enough for this cd, whats another few weeks.

God its killing me though :scream:
I may cave in sooner than you think....:silent:

U2 Bliss said:

So without giving to much away - whats the highlights? And how has it topped "O" after only hearing it on three listens????

Maybe because I've beaten O into the ground. Maybe because the new songs are just that good. Maybe I'm just exagerrating.

Highlights for me are Coconut Skins, Me My Yoke And I, and Grey Room. I've been in love with Grey Room all day today. There really isn't a weak track on this album, whereas O had one I didn't freak out much about (Cold Water).

That being said, there isn't much new to it. There isn't much progression, just typically great Damien songs. I can hear a lot of the same chord progressions, anyway. "Me My Yoke And I" is "Volcano," "Sleep Don't Weep" is "Cold Water," "Elephant" is (obviously, since it used to be Part 2) "The Blower's Daughter." A lot of it sounds familiar.

Rootless Tree could be a future single; I think it could have some success even on the radio despite the repeated "Fuck you" in the chorus. It's got that vibe to it.

Did I mention I'm also completely in love with "Grey Room" and "Coconut Skins"?

LarryMullen's_POPAngel said:
Make mine an :drool::drool::drool:
Wow...3 :drool: I'm impressed!!!

inmyplace13 said:
There really isn't a weak track on this album...... That being said, there isn't much new to it. .......There isn't much progression, just typically great Damien songs.

I was worried that O was going to be a hard act to follow....saying that "9 Crimes" has set the mood... the track listing I'm kinda excited about but you just have this worry in the back of your mind that a song you may know live just does not cross in the studio.

From a fans point of view your comments (and others) have just confirmed all appears okay.. ....Hmm and I think i can handle "typically great Damien Songs".

So are any of you attempting to get tixs for Damiens LA or NY shows???

From eskimofriends.com

World Exclusive - Review of "9"
And so it is. A second Damien Rice album.

The most eagerly anticipated album of the year opens with hushed, delicate vocals from Lisa Hannigan set against a soft piano background. By the time that Damien joins in, the gentle rhythm of “9 Crimes” has been established. The lyrics are self-loathing, “Leave me out with the waste / This is not what I do / It’s the wrong kind of place / To be cheating on you”. Soon their voices are overlapping, lulling the listener into a gentle hypnosis. This is almost anaesthesia for the heartache to come, not just in this song but also at various points throughout the album. It’s worth emphasising here that this album, like “O”, was self-produced. Damien doesn’t hide anything on this record. Waves of passion and pain are clearly audible in his vocals. “9 Crimes” builds to a crescendo of hurt, and then quietly returns to the sorrowful repose of the piano.

“The Animals Were Gone” is one of the finest songs that Damien has ever written. Reminiscent at times of Jacquel Brel, in both tone and romantic lyricism, Damien sings to his love, “Waking up without you is like drinking from an empty cup”. Lisa’s backing vocals add a lovely charm to a bewitching chorus that surely has great potential for commercial success as a single. However, it’s the strings that elevate this love song to somewhere else. The ethereal finale of strings segueing into dazzling distorted chant-like vocals is one of the highpoints of the record.

The third track, “Elephant”, is Damien Rice at his most raw. Formerly know as “The Blower’s Daughter Part 2”, this track features delicate, pained vocals over gentle strumming. At the most poignant and acute moments, Vyvienne Long’s cello arrives to ease the heartache. Anger is present in Damien’s voice, and in lyrics such as “I take it I’m your crutch”. Another soaring climax returns to the quiet strumming. The final words are almost whispered. “This has got to die / This has got to stop.” You can hear every intake of breath. The songs ends with a last strike of pain, as in “The Blower’s Daughter”, but even more pronounced.

And then the pain turns to rage on “Rootless Tree”. A pleasant opening of acoustic guitar accompanying Damien’s singing is contrasted with an arresting, violent chorus, featuring lines such as “Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you and all we’ve been through”. Again, Lisa’s vocals and Vyvienne’s cello add texture, particularly with the refrain of “let me out, let me out…” This is a giant song that really grabs your attention. It doesn’t sound like anything from “O”. The entire band shines, pulling together to keep the Rootless Tree from falling over.

The next track, “Dogs”, shows a lighter side of Damien’s music. All the more so as it follows two much heavier tracks. It is an almost dream-like observation of a sunny morning spent with the subject of the song, “the girl that does yoga”. “She lives with an orange tree / The girl that does yoga / She picks the dead ones from the ground / When we come over.” It’s a gorgeous foot-tapping song, but of course it wouldn’t be a Damien Rice without a hint of sadness towards the end. Lisa’s backing vocals are quiet, as in most of the songs on “9”, but they always add warmth and colour and a sense of reverie.

“Coconut Skins” is a simple song, but a standout track on the album. Rousing acoustic guitars and defiant vocals from Damien make this song seem like a 60s protest song. It is made especially compelling by its steady, driving rhythm, almost like a steam locomotive approaching. It sounds like a celebration of free spirit, both lyrically and musically, in the face of human complications and the fact that “Time is contagious / Everybody’s getting old”. Lisa, sounding like Joan Baez, gels perfectly with Damien in a lively chorus of “la la la la la laaaa…”

While the previous song may sound like a 60s folk song, “Me, My Yoke And I” is Damien’s loudest rock song. A live favourite for years now, it is full of heavy guitars, bass, drums and distorted vocals. It builds slowly and steadily into an angry and raucous wave of energy, and then the song quietens down, and the album quietens down for the final three tracks.

The first of these, “Grey Room”, is the closest thing on “9” to “O”. It is a sad and reflective song, with Damien asking, “Have I still got you to keep me warm?” Vyvienne’s cello comes again to lighten the dark bits. And then the mood lifts a little bit, and Damien’s vocals soar as he sings, “Nothing is lost, it’s just frozen in frost”. The grey room seems to lighten as Damien and Lisa repeat “Warmer than warm” at the end.

On “The Animals Were Gone”, Damien sang of having “babies and accidental songs”. The penultimate track on the album is “Accidental Babies”, an intimate Leonard Cohen style song in which Damien sings “Well you held me like a lover / Sweaty hands / And my foot in the appropriate place”. This intimacy is emphasised by the fact that Damien is simply accompanied by piano for the duration of the song. The heartache in this song is given its clearest expression in the final words, barely spoken, “What about me?”

The album’s final song is “Sleep Don’t Weep”, a lullaby that helps to heal the wounds on display in earlier tracks. Damien sings, “Do what you must do to fill that hole / Wear another shoe to comfort the soul”. Everything on this song is as quiet as you can imagine, vocals from Damien and Lisa, piano, guitar, strings, and percussion. The album ends, as it began, with Lisa singing. However, the healing continues after this track, with no less than sixteen minutes of soothing sounds from a Tibetan singing bowl, a mysterious instrument with alleged healing powers that doesn’t seem out of place after the emotional anguish that was revealed throughout “9”.

“9” is an amazing album that surpasses expectations and reminds us of why “O” became such a worldwide success. Damien performs with all the intensity and honesty that we have come to expect, but he paints his songs with more colours than on “O”, and smudges them just a little bit with tears. “9” has even more potential than “O” for commercial success, if it’s so desired, but it is a very personal album that will touch the heart of every listener.

21 October 2006

US tour

Ticketmaster has 4 dates up for America:

United States Of America 1 - 4 of 4
Mon, 11/13/06
08:00 PM Damien Rice Acoustic El Rey Theatre Los Angeles, CA Find Tickets
Wed, 12/06/06
08:00 PM Damien Rice Paramount Theatre-Oakland Oakland, CA More Infoon sale:
Sun, 11/05/06 10:00 AM
Fri, 12/08/06
08:00 PM Damien Rice Orpheum Theatre Los Angeles, CA More Infoon sale:
Fri, 11/03/06 10:00 AM
Wed, 12/20/06
08:00 PM Damien Rice Orpheum Theatre Minneapolis, MN More Infopresale begins:
Wed, 11/01/06 10:00 AM

Souly said:
From eskimofriends.com World Exclusive - Review of "9"
And so it is. A second Damien Rice album. 21 October 2006

After reading this review - i'm just amazed that everyone is not talking about this cd :confused:

So I caved in at the w/end, evil itunes taunted me to download 9 and i could not wait anymore for my cd to arrive .... so i got my first listen yesterday.

What can i say?? O is one of my alltime fave cds - i worried that my expectations were a bit high. I've dissapointed myself many a time by doing this - U2 included - but somehow the cd in question eventually wins me over and i think to myself what was i thinking???

So 9....yeah it did not have the same impact i had on my first listen to "O" (i litterally wept when i heard that - gees how do you follow that?) but i was definetly not dissapointed - AT ALL.
I'm just constantly amazed by Damien - like just when you feel he could not give you any more of himself in his songs - he just gives you that little bit more.

I think the reviewer has just summed ithe cd up beautifully...."he paints his songs with more colours than on “O”, and smudges them just a little bit with tears". How true.

So i'm only up to my third listen - hardly could give a review - its more personal for me at this point. Saying that accidental babies, Elephant and The animals were gone have just blown me away...oh and what a way to end a cd with sleep don't weep!!!!

Hmmm so as the saying goes 'good things come to those that wait" i feel like i've been blessed with a double dose.....U2 in less than a fortnight and a very amazing damien cd . Life could not get any more sweeter.

Back
Top Bottom