Dalton and NSW's Beijing Olympics Thread - Part III

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think I'm going to go to bed. I'm kind of Olympic-d out for the time being, and don't care enough about floor exercise to try and catch it.

G'night, all!

The Americans are really having a terrible, terrible track & field meet in just about every event so far. The Canadians are nonexistent, so I can't even bitch properly.
It's too bad Tyler Christopher (Canada) didn't make it to the 400m finals--I read he was recovering from a flu and just couldn't muster his usual speed. He'd been considered to have a good shot at a medal.

It's true that this isn't the strongest US T&F team, but they're not doing all THAT badly relative to most serious track followers' expectations--the women's 100m was a big disappointment, granted, as was the lone medal in men's shot put and Lagat's failure to make it into the 1500m, but on the other hand the lone bronzes in the men's 100m and the heptathlon were pretty much in line with expectations, and the bronze in the women's 10,000m a pleasant surprise. I don't think there's been anything else yet (women's marathon, women's shot put, men's hammer throw, women's triple jump, women's steeplechase, men's 10,000m) that we were actually expected to medal in. And there's still numerous events we have good medal chances in coming up--men's 400m and 400m hurdles and the decathlon; women's 100m hurdles, 200m and 400m; and both relays, for both sexes. So I'm still guardedly optimistic...we'll see. :) It's still my favorite sport to watch regardless.

No. Women's prelims start Tuesday morning (Chinese time), finals Thursday night; men's prelims start Thursday morning, finals Saturday night. It will probably be Scandinavian-dominated for the men and German-dominated for the women, if expectations hold up.

No. Women's prelims start Tuesday morning (Chinese time), finals Thursday night; men's prelims start Thursday morning, finals Saturday night. It will probably be Scandinavian-dominated for the men and German-dominated for the women, if expectations hold up.

Thanks for letting me know. I really enjoy javelin, no real reason why.

Nice. Australia just pounded Lithuania in the mens basketball, and will now play the US in the Quarter Finals. They won’t beat the US, but they will rough them up for someone else who will hopefully do the job.

Just saw the women's vault out here on the west coast.

Cheng Fei's second vault score was ridiculous; Alicia Sacrilicious got royally hosed.

It's true that this isn't the strongest US T&F team, but they're not doing all THAT badly relative to most serious track followers' expectations.

Not according to all the articles I've read. :shrug:

I think that no men even qualified for long jump or high jump, which is a little bit shocking to me, even if there isn't necessarily a Carl Lewis on the team.

Oooh, did you catch the 400m hurdles? Talk about American track redemption! Great race!

Horse brings home a silver for Canada!

Canada earned a silver in the team jumping competition on Day 10 at the Olympic Games, giving veteran rider Ian Millar his first medal in his ninth Olympic appearance.

Millar is 61. Dara Torres is like a fetus compared to him.

The international gymnastics federation is teh epic fail at mathematics.

In case of a tie during the individual event finals, first tiebreak goes to whoever had the higher execution score (defined to be the average of the middle four of the six judges). Kind of arbitrary, but ok.

The next tiebreaker is essentially given by taking each gymnast's 5th-highest execution score and giving the tiebreaker to whoever had the lower score.

Not according to all the articles I've read. :shrug:
I meant that if you've been following publications like Track & Field News or even Runner's World, with writers who follow the national and international meets regularly and had good ideas what to expect, then this wasn't shocking. The number of countries now fielding well-funded, well-organized track and field programs has mushroomed over the last 10-15 years, and traditional T&F powerhouses like the US can no longer take indisputed dominance in the sport for granted. It's not that there's any dearth of great, hardworking US talent, in terms of either athletes or coaches; it's just that so many more countries are now making concerted efforts to develop elite-level talent in the sport.

Anyhow, a pretty good day today for the US track & field team--a medal sweep in the men's 400m hurdles, a silver in women's pole vault, and the biggest surprise, a gold in women's discus throw.

This made me laugh:

"The reaction in Canada was extremely hostile. Among the headlines in Canadian newspapers were "Skategate" (from the Toronto Sun), "Outrage!" (from the Edmonton Sun), "Scandal on Ice" (from the Winnipeg Free Press), and "Ice Storm" (from the Calgary Sun)."

Has a very NY Post feel to it all, those headlines.

You know the deal. Canada gets invaded first, just because I've had enough...it's been brewing for some time now. Elfa gets put in charge of Winnipeg and we go from there. I'll be benevolent, I'll be moving at least two NHL franchises from the States to Canada.

I mentioned that the Swiss are next, but, that could change if Jamaica keeps this bullshit up.
You know the deal. Canada gets invaded first, just because I've had enough...it's been brewing for some time now. Elfa gets put in charge of Winnipeg and we go from there. I'll be benevolent, I'll be moving at least two NHL franchises from the States to Canada.

I mentioned that the Swiss are next, but, that could change if Jamaica keeps this bullshit up.
You know the deal. Canada gets invaded first, just because I've had enough...it's been brewing for some time now. Elfa gets put in charge of Winnipeg and we go from there.
You know the deal. Canada gets invaded first, just because I've had enough...it's been brewing for some time now. Elfa gets put in charge of Winnipeg and we go from there.
Canada gets invaded first, just because I've had enough.

Just saw the women's vault out here on the west coast.

Cheng Fei's second vault score was ridiculous; Alicia Sacrilicious got royally hosed.

Agreed. That was really stupid. I didn't realize vault was on last night - glad I caught that. I threw a tape in the VCR to catch floor exercise, even though I know who won.

I think vault is my second favorite event, behind beam. I have no idea how that shit is even possible.

And how awesome was that 33-year old German winning the silver! I got a little verklempt at that.

Back
Top Bottom