Cynics view.....how many bands used live8? - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-03-2005, 02:19 PM   #1
Refugee

Local Time: 12:45 AM
Cynics view.....how many bands used live8?

No matter what you say 90% of the acts/bands at Live 8 used the event for their own ends to get in the public eye, relauch their careers, sell more records. Which do you think were the main ones to do this. The main ones for me that definetly did this were Mariah Carey, Madonna, Robbie Williams, UB40.

U2 were their for the right reason and thats obvious, but I would be interested on other views on this.

Old 07-03-2005, 02:32 PM   #2
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 01:45 PM
I don't see a need to be skeptical about some bands' motives for performing. I believe they were all there for the same reason: Africa.

The performances I saw seemed completely genuine. I believe they were all there for the right reasons.

Old 07-03-2005, 02:37 PM   #3
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by inmyplace13
I don't see a need to be skeptical about some bands' motives for performing. I believe they were all there for the same reason: Africa.

The performances I saw seemed completely genuine. I believe they were all there for the right reasons.
Wow you honestly believe that? You have more faith in the human spirit than a lot of others. If thats the case then why would someone like Mariah Carey perform her brand new single?
Old 07-03-2005, 02:43 PM   #4
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by rjhbonovox

Wow you honestly believe that? You have more faith in the human spirit than a lot of others. If thats the case then why would someone like Mariah Carey perform her brand new single?
For the most part, all day long, the majority of songs played were singles. I changed my feed during Mariah's performance, but I don't think she did it just to boost record sales.

Yes, I honestly don't think anyone would have sullied such a beautiful event by only being in it for personal gain.
Old 07-03-2005, 02:50 PM   #5
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 06:45 PM
I have to agree, they all seemed genuine to me. I'm not a big Mariah Carey fan, but at the end she looked like she wanted to give each and every one of those little kids on stage a hug and bring them back to her place for dinner or something.

I dunno, I just don't see the point in getting cynical right now . Crazy as it seems, I do still hold a lot of faith in humanity. I think it'd be a very sad world if people lost all hope that humans could do good things.

Angela
Old 07-03-2005, 02:57 PM   #6
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by Moonlit_Angel
I do still hold a lot of faith in humanity. I think it'd be a very sad world if people lost all hope that humans could do good things.

Angela
Old 07-03-2005, 04:02 PM   #7
War Child

Local Time: 01:45 AM
Robbie did do work 4 unicef and madonna gave profits of her books 2 child poverty in the uk didn't she? so they obviously have an interest in development
Old 07-03-2005, 04:08 PM   #8
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:45 PM
I think they can do both. Also for most artists the newest single is what most people want to hear, so why wouldn't they play that?

I don't see that it really matters what the motivation was if the outcome is essentially positive.
Old 07-03-2005, 04:08 PM   #9
Refugee

And none of them are bothered about the impact that appearing at the concert is going to have on their record sales and their careers? Just look at what happened to Queen after Live Aid, they were a finished band before Live Aid but after their appearance in 1985 they were massive again in the USA. I see a programme about the original Live Aid and they were on about Queen and I just remember a lot of people saying after seeing them "wow I have got to get some Queen records".
Old 07-03-2005, 04:16 PM   #10
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Madonna actually claimed she wasn't going to do any performing but since she believed in the cause than she signed on.

The one thing I found very odd was that MTV kept showing commercials for Pink Floyd's greatest hits(that's been out for a few years) during the airing of Live 8...
Old 07-03-2005, 04:20 PM   #11
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar

The one thing I found very odd was that MTV kept showing commercials for Pink Floyd's greatest hits(that's been out for a few years) during the airing of Live 8...
Yes, but I think we can forgive them for this one. I mean, Pink Floyd still DID REUNITE. That's worth it no matter WHAT their true motives are.
Old 07-03-2005, 04:31 PM   #12
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
And none of them are bothered about the impact that appearing at the concert is going to have on their record sales and their careers?
Why would they be. It's a win-win situation. No one's going to NOT support the cause because it might make them a bit more popular.

Bono: "Fuck this. If we do this we're going to sell more records. I'll just sit on my arse and wait to play Vienna tonight"

I guess I just don't understand what you meant by that comment. Bothered?
Old 07-03-2005, 04:32 PM   #13
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by inmyplace13

Why would they be. It's a win-win situation. No one's going to NOT support the cause because it might make them a bit more popular.
...unless you happen to be Thom Yorke.

Errr, I mean...uhh....

I love you Thom! Hehe.
Old 07-03-2005, 04:43 PM   #14
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Quote:
Originally posted by unosdostres14

Quote:
And none of them are bothered about the impact that appearing at the concert is going to have on their record sales and their careers?
I gotta agree with others...I'm not quite seeing why exactly that would bother anybody at the show.

Quote:
Just look at what happened to Queen after Live Aid, they were a finished band before Live Aid but after their appearance in 1985 they were massive again in the USA.
...so? Again, what's the problem with that?

Quote:
I see a programme about the original Live Aid and they were on about Queen and I just remember a lot of people saying after seeing them "wow I have got to get some Queen records".
Yeah...and I've also heard from people that saw the original one that Queen put on one hell of a show and that the entire day was great. What's the downside here? People came out for a good cause that, if the reports I've read so far are true, could really do some good things soon here, and if people happen to enjoy the music as well, hey, an added bonus.

You're entitled to your opinions and all that, but personally, I just think it'd just be nice if a charity event could go on for once without people questioning the motives of people involved. They're doing a good deed for people, why isn't that enough?

Angela
Old 07-03-2005, 05:11 PM   #15
ONE<br>love, blood, life

Location: Lookin' for the face I had before the world was made
Quote:
Originally posted by Moonlit_Angel

Yeah...and I've also heard from people that saw the original one that Queen put on one hell of a show and that the entire day was great. What's the downside here? People came out for a good cause that, if the reports I've read so far are true, could really do some good things soon here, and if people happen to enjoy the music as well, hey, an added bonus.

You're entitled to your opinions and all that, but personally, I just think it'd just be nice if a charity event could go on for once without people questioning the motives of people involved. They're doing a good deed for people, why isn't that enough?

Angela

Angela, I agree with everything you've said here!

I think it's great that these artists cared enough to put their voices behind this cause... and that was the point of the entire thing... to add your VOICE.

Most of the artists I managed to catch (which was most of the London set throughout the day) made sure to remind the crowd of exactly why they were there.

So, yeah, it's easy to put a negative twist on the event... but I believe it was incredibly positive and did exactly what it set out to achieve... to raise awareness.