Cynics view.....how many bands used live8?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
ok lets turn the situation around

how much has live 8 RUINED Pete Doherty career?

whilst there has been alot of media attention surrounding his relationships and drug addiction etc when his had the biggest opportunity (and audience)to prove himself, he blew it, thus deflating the hype into a small whimper.
:lol:

i hope i'm not sounding like jick and his half baked theories surrounding larrys apology for the tickets (i probably am)

:up: i love to see those sales numbers going up,....i will find them in the 2hand bin next year.

BTW, i think the record companies are making the figures rise by taking advantage of the bands that are playing on live8

beau2ifulday said:
For those who are interested:

Acts see album sales soar after Live 8 gigs

LONDON (Reuters) - They came out of charity. They left with booming record sales.

The galaxy of rock stars who took part in Live 8 concerts on Saturday to help beat the curse of poverty have seen their records fly off the shelves in British music stores, proving that cash balances as well as consciences were the winner.

According to HMV, one of the country's main record retailers with 200 stores nationwide, Pink Floyd's "Echoes" album posted a staggering 1,343 percent increase in sales on Sunday compared with the same day a week ago.

The band re-formed for the Live 8 concert in London's Hyde Park, where they joined pop legends Paul McCartney, Madonna, U2 and Elton John among others in front of 200,000 people
"Even allowing for the relative nature of this exercise ... this snapshot still shows that the Live 8 concert is having a marked effect on sales of featured artist recordings," said Gennaro Castaldo spokesman for the HMV chain.

He stressed that the increase for Pink Floyd and other acts appearing in Hyde Park was partly due to the small number of records sold on Sunday, June 26. Total sales of the album on Sunday, July 3, the day after Live 8, were approaching 1,000.

Next came The Who's "Then & Now", with an increase of 863 percent, Annie Lennox's "Eurythmics Greatest Hits" (500 percent) and Dido's "Life For Rent" (412 percent).

Nothing like a bit of Chariteeeeee to get your record sales soaring. Who says the bands play for free!:wink:

burns said:
ok lets turn the situation around

how much has live 8 RUINED Pete Doherty career?

Has Pete Doherty ever had a career. Talentless twat if ever I see one!:wink:

Sleep Over Jack said:

Further confirmation of your vanilla taste..Doherty is brilliant.

Jesus if you think he is brilliant, kinda backs up my theory on your musical taste. That was a REALLY great version of Children Of The Revolution at live8, NOT, a mumbling bumbling drug addicted nobhead who was not fit to walk the same stage as the legends that preceded and followed him!, Hey I know why Pete Doherty is famous, he's dating Kate Moss:wink:

Good to see that Pink Floyd want to donate all the added record sales that they are getting after live8, their sales went up over 1000%. I bet most of the other artists won't be doing the same!!

Pink Floyd certainly didn't need to boost record sales...their back catalogue sells well enough to keep all of them PLENTY rich reunion or no. David Gilmour gave away a ~$6M house to a London homeless shelter a couple years ago and has been selling cars left and right, saying he has "way too much money" and doesn't need all the material possessions.

I am glad they are donating this windfall to charities but they've been doing so for quite some time. While some artists may have used Live 8, most - like PF - were there for the cause and had good intentions.

regarding pete doherty that is. libertines were a bad band and he is only famour for dating kate moss and being a junkie loser.

the libertines were awful, although a few of my friends beg to differ. needless to say, they are not U2 fans.

Pete docharty is an embarrassment

rjhbonovox said:

Jesus if you think he is brilliant, kinda backs up my theory on your musical taste. That was a REALLY great version of Children Of The Revolution at live8, NOT, a mumbling bumbling drug addicted nobhead who was not fit to walk the same stage as the legends that preceded and followed him!, Hey I know why Pete Doherty is famous, he's dating Kate Moss:wink:

Where did I say his Live8 performance was strong? it was a car crash. However, "Up The Bracket" is one of the best debuts ever, full of spirit and poetry..now contrast this with Coldplay's plodding, corporate efforts.

Back
Top Bottom