Cute Pet Pictures!!! - Page 9 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-18-2004, 02:22 PM   #121
Refugee

Local Time: 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bonosloveslave

Sorry - I haven't checked back in here

Molly is actually doing good for the moment. She is much more comforatable and the catheter site looks great. I still have to rebandage it every few days, but she's very good for it. She's had urinary tract infections though so she will probably be on antibiotics long-term. I will be back on campus in a little over a week, and while I'm back we'll set up her second surgery to replace this catheter. She'll have a super short one put in and won't have to have a bandage on I'm also thinking about chemotherapy for her, but I've got to crunch the numbers and see if we can actually afford it
Beth!
Molly is so freakin adorable by the way! How old is she?
And forgive my ignorance, i'm not here all that much....I have no clue what is wrong with Molly....what's wrong with her? Poor sweetie!
I just wanna hug her right now!
I hope she recovers from whatever she is suffering from...poor thing.

Old 01-18-2004, 02:27 PM   #122
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by Sicy
Master Saki in a box

Zoey lookin cute with her thumbs

wow! Saki is all grown up now! such sweet kitties, Sicy!

Old 01-18-2004, 02:47 PM   #123
Offishul Kitteh Doctor
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 06:28 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by mmmBono

Beth!
Molly is so freakin adorable by the way! How old is she?
And forgive my ignorance, i'm not here all that much....I have no clue what is wrong with Molly....what's wrong with her? Poor sweetie!
I just wanna hug her right now!
I hope she recovers from whatever she is suffering from...poor thing.
She is a cocker spaniel mix (only about 18 lbs) and will be 13 on Memorial Day. She has cancer of the cells that line the bladder and urethra - it's been affecting her urethra for the most part so basically as the cancer grows she has a smaller and smaller opening to pass urine out of. We put a tube in her bladder through her belly preventatively, so that once she gets to the point that she can't pee on her own, I can just pull the stopper out of the tube and her bladder will drain by gravity. You wouldn't even know she had cancer if it wasn't for her urinary troubles
Old 01-18-2004, 03:25 PM   #124
Refugee

Quote:

She is a cocker spaniel mix (only about 18 lbs) and will be 13 on Memorial Day. She has cancer of the cells that line the bladder and urethra - it's been affecting her urethra for the most part so basically as the cancer grows she has a smaller and smaller opening to pass urine out of. We put a tube in her bladder through her belly preventatively, so that once she gets to the point that she can't pee on her own, I can just pull the stopper out of the tube and her bladder will drain by gravity. You wouldn't even know she had cancer if it wasn't for her urinary troubles
oh god i'm so sorry Beth...poor Molly...she sounds like a tough little one
is it painful for her to pee now?
i would imagine so...i've had one UTI in my whole life...and that was WOW! the pain was unbelievable!
i really hope Molly is not in pain!
Is chemo going to be helpful for her? Or would it reduce her quality of life? Is chemo as bad for dogs as it is for humans (the nausea,etc)?
Old 01-19-2004, 01:42 AM   #125
Offishul Kitteh Doctor
Forum Moderator

She is on a sort of chemo drug right now called feldane/piroxicam - it's an anti-inflammatory drug so it helps with pain, but a side effect that they've found is that it can slow growth or even shrink these bladder cancers. They aren't exactly sure how it works, but it helps in 2 ways and is pretty cheap (about 50 cents a day) so she'll be on that for life.

There is stronger chemo that she could be put on to futher shrink or halt the growth of the cancer cells, but they are fairly expensive (which has so far been the limiting factor for me). One is given IV, and at the Oncology practice I'm at, runs about $600 per treatment (usually a total of 5). Another chemo option for her is to give a drug though the catheter and let it sit in her bladder for a period of time, then suck it back out, that way it doesn't have to circulate through her liver and kidneys. With animals, we give lower doses of chemo, mainly used to just slow the spread of the cancer cells or to kill cells left behind microscopically after a tumor has been cut out.

With people, they give really high doses to try to kill everything so people can be cured. This is why people get side effects of being sick, hair falling out, etc. They can be told that they'll be sick for a few weeks/months, and then hopefully will be cured. We can't tell animals that they'll feel like they're dying for a few weeks and then it will be better, so we always consider their quality of life. With some chemo drugs they may vomit once or twice after the initial dose, and if that happens we give them medication for the vomiting and/or decrease the dose the next time. Most animals don't have any side effects at all. Some of the truly 'haired' breeds will lose hair, like Bichons or Poodles.

Of all the cancers to get, this is probably one of the better ones because it is very slow growing and doesn't often spread elsewhere.
Old 01-19-2004, 10:16 PM   #126
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 05:28 PM
I just took these about an hour ago...

http://images.snapfish.com/339779632...%3B23%3Aot1lsi

http://images.snapfish.com/339779632...97%3B252ot1lsi

EDIT: Sorry about the lighting
Old 01-19-2004, 10:38 PM   #127
Sizzlin' Sicilian
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 03:28 PM
beth good luck with molly

Catman I lightened your pics up for you. How cute

Old 01-19-2004, 10:38 PM   #128
Refugee

Quote:
She is on a sort of chemo drug right now called feldane/piroxicam - it's an anti-inflammatory drug so it helps with pain, but a side effect that they've found is that it can slow growth or even shrink these bladder cancers. They aren't exactly sure how it works, but it helps in 2 ways and is pretty cheap (about 50 cents a day) so she'll be on that for life.

There is stronger chemo that she could be put on to futher shrink or halt the growth of the cancer cells, but they are fairly expensive (which has so far been the limiting factor for me). One is given IV, and at the Oncology practice I'm at, runs about $600 per treatment (usually a total of 5). Another chemo option for her is to give a drug though the catheter and let it sit in her bladder for a period of time, then suck it back out, that way it doesn't have to circulate through her liver and kidneys. With animals, we give lower doses of chemo, mainly used to just slow the spread of the cancer cells or to kill cells left behind microscopically after a tumor has been cut out.

With people, they give really high doses to try to kill everything so people can be cured. This is why people get side effects of being sick, hair falling out, etc. They can be told that they'll be sick for a few weeks/months, and then hopefully will be cured. We can't tell animals that they'll feel like they're dying for a few weeks and then it will be better, so we always consider their quality of life. With some chemo drugs they may vomit once or twice after the initial dose, and if that happens we give them medication for the vomiting and/or decrease the dose the next time. Most animals don't have any side effects at all. Some of the truly 'haired' breeds will lose hair, like Bichons or Poodles.

Of all the cancers to get, this is probably one of the better ones because it is very slow growing and doesn't often spread elsewhere.
thank you SO much for that, Beth.
one thing is for sure....Molly is in good hands with you around.
wow those chemo treatments are expensive
well...here's to hoping and praying that Molly's cancer stays put or goes away altogether.
Old 01-19-2004, 10:41 PM   #129
Refugee

omg Catman...those pics!! a cat in a baby chair! Priceless!

how in the fook did you get your cat to do that?
Old 01-19-2004, 11:12 PM   #130
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 05:28 PM
Wow, the pics look a lot better, now. Thanks, Sicy

"how in the fook did you get your cat to do that?"

hahha, I dunno! She's always finding these odd places around the house to sleep at. Like last week, for example, I was looking all over for Ms. Flufferstuff and just could NOT find her. Well, as it turned out, this is where she had been resting...

http://images.snapfish.com/339779992...A%3B%3C9ot1lsi

...in the cupboard! She's a crazy little thing

Old 01-19-2004, 11:17 PM   #131
Sizzlin' Sicilian
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 03:28 PM
She's so pretty
Old 01-19-2004, 11:31 PM   #132
Offishul Kitteh Doctor
Forum Moderator

Ms. Flufferstuff has to be the best cat name I have ever heard

Thanks for the support everyone
Old 02-24-2004, 01:56 PM   #133
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 09:28 AM
a blast from the past...just seeing if I can work this thing

this is the photo of Gustovox I keep in my wallet. I love it.
He was the best
**crosses fingers**

Old 02-24-2004, 01:59 PM   #134
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

it worked!
look out!...now I can post pics of my new pup
but where?

I've owned him since Saturday, it's Wednesday already and despite a family "thinktank" last night we still haven't found his name. Maybe I shoud ask catman for advice?
Old 02-24-2004, 02:06 PM   #135
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

just trying to work out what size these things should be

Two in a million....