cute dog thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Diemen said:
Cute dog - definitely looks to have a little pit in her.

That's too bad about your experience with pits. In my experience they can be absolutely outstanding dogs when the owner is responsible and trains them well (Sunny is a pit/lab mix and still my favorite dog I've ever known). Most do have dog aggression issues, but the majority of them are actually very affectionate and gentle with people by nature. There's just too many idiots out there who buy them because they look tough and then either neglect them or train them to be tough that has ruined their reputation.

That being said though, I don't know if I'd want to deal with raising a pure pit.

Yeah, I have nothing against them and I know more people that have never had a problem than people who have, but personally I'm afraid of them, so I don't think I'd be a very good handler. It wouldn't be fair for the dog. Pit bull terriers and staffordshire terriers are basically the same dog, except pits have fighting in their bloodlines and staffies don't, they are conformation dogs, just another terrier. However, like you said, both standards allow for dog aggression and fighting to the death to protect the owner/handler. The second bit is what worries me. I haven't heard of a pit attacking the owner, but there've been WAY too many instances of a pit defending against a surprise "intruder" like the mailman or a little kid. I suppose if I changed my mind and ever wanted one, I'd rather import a staffy than take my chances with a pit from the animal shelter. But yeah, I grew up in a really bad neighborhood during a period of gang war, so fighting pits were everywhere. They were always kept on heavy chains in yards and it was pretty common that they were beaten. The police have had to gun down several of them who have escaped.

I do think they are amazing dogs, the way their body is designed (well, to kill), but I just don't ever need to have one :D Also, we're hopefully moving to Florida and depending on where it might not be an option. Pit and pit mixes are banned in Dade county and most apartment complexes have breed restrictions against them and other dogs known to be aggressive (akitas, chows, rotties, and GSDs).

U2Man said:
sascha.jpg

What a cutie!!!

So it looks like I'm going to be fostering Luna for a week. I met her last Sunday and I think she has good potential. She is very hyper, but it seems like after the initial meeting she was able to calm down and seemed to be at ease with me pretty quickly. We'll see how she does at home with my housemate's older dog, and I'll take her to a couple dog parks and hiking a few times to see how she handles herself around other dogs and people. I pick her up this coming Wednesday. Hopefully she'll be a good fit!

Here are some more pics:
7321_8063_b.jpg

7321_8062_b.jpg

7321_8067_b.jpg

Well, I've finally gotten my act together and scanned my old pics of our adorable dog Theo. These pics were taken in the 90's, so please excuse the crappy photos. :lol: I'm so sad that these are the only pics I have of him. I'll have to search through my parents pics sometime and see if they have more.

Theo.jpg

Theo2.jpg

Theo3.jpg

Queen Bee, that carpet looks exactly like the carpet my parents have in their house :shifty:

I picked Luna up today. I took her for a long walk at a local dog park on the coast and she did pretty well. She's outstanding on a leash - doesn't pull at all and if I slow down, she'll slow down right away. She's very affectionate and loves meeting new people, but maybe a little too affectionate, she loves jumping onto people. :D

She is pretty quick-tempered with other dogs, though. I don't think she's trying to instigate a fight, I just think she wants to assert her dominance right from the beginning. There were only a couple dogs in the 45 minutes walking that she was fine when meeting up close. There were a couple she would snarl at but then allow a sniff, but I kept her on a short leash around other dogs, so she didn't try and escalate anything. I am a little concerned though. I'd like to have a dog I feel comfortable letting off leash to run around, but Luna definitely isn't at that point yet. It might be something some training classes could help with, though.

In the house Luna is really great. I was afraid she was going to be hyper non-stop, but she's actually pretty mellow, especially indoors. After the first hour just checking out the place, she settled right down and laid down at my feet when I was watching TV. As I type this she's asleep on her pet bed next to the desk. :cute:

I'll have to see what a couple of my more dog-savvy friends think of her. I'm concerned about her aggressiveness, but she's definitely got the personality otherwise that I was looking for. We'll see... :hmm:

^:tsk:

Some pics of Luna:
1zee140.jpg

1zee1lk.jpg

1zee1d3.jpg

1zee33q.jpg

I like her more every day. :) She did great walking with a friend's dog. A little snarling/posturing at first, but after a few minutes she settled down and was totally fine with him.

Well, I've had Luna for a month and a half now and she's fantastic. She's very comfortable around other dogs now and always manages to find someone to play with whenever I go to the dog parks, so she seems to have worked out her aggression issues really well. I also found out what kind of mix she is - she is a pit/pointer mix, probably 50/50. She has the coat of a pointer but has a more compact build thanks to the pit in her. Plus she's got a great smile. :)

A couple more pics:

At the dog park
IMG_4388.jpg

Profile of a happy puppy :D
IMG_4392.jpg

A little out of focus, but I love her expression:
IMG_4403.jpg

Here's a really old picture of me and Fred, taken about seven/eight years ago:

fred01.jpg

I miss Fred. :(

You had a Basset! :ohmy:

My dad got a basset a while back and he was the sweetest thing in the world. So easygoing, lethargic, but loving nonetheless. He followed his nose one day out of my dad's house and into the street. I just hope he was picked up by someone else and not ... well, you know.

I had a beagle from '94-'96 that did the same thing. We searched for weeks until my dad gave up and got another dog to deal with the loss. And that's been Penny ever since. :happy:

Here's Penny playing with our neighbor's puppy Stuie:
dsc00029kt1.jpg

Helping me study for a final:
dsc00229qz1.jpg

Out for a stroll around the lake:
penrz6.jpg

Aaaand my dad's dog, Rocky:
rockyos4.jpg

Penny. :cute: I love Penny. She just looks like such a fun dog.

Yep, Fred was our first purebred dog. We inherited her (yes, Fred was a she) from some friends that were moving away. She was very old at that point, but she was very sweet. She loved sitting on the four-seater swing at the park! Growled if we didn't push her.

:cute: I love Goldens!

Here's Penny at a trip to the beach (Why yes, I do whore my dog photos around ;) )

dsc00033hi8.jpg

dsc00055qc4.jpg

dsc00059gg0.jpg

She loves to surf on my boogie board.

striaightti5.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom