cute dog thread - Page 30 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 05-02-2007, 03:57 PM   #436
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 02:25 AM
RIP George. Today you are a Hero.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/asiapc....ap/index.html
Quote:
Tiny terrier saved kids from pit bulls
POSTED: 11:37 a.m. EDT, May 2, 2007

WELLINGTON, New Zealand (AP) -- A plucky Jack Russell terrier named George saved five children from two marauding pit bulls, but was so severely mauled in the fight that it had to be put down, its owner said Wednesday.

George was playing with the group of children as they returned home from buying sweets at a neighborhood shop in the small North Island town of Manaia last Sunday when the two pit bulls appeared and lunged toward them, Allan Gay said.

"George was brave -- he took them on and he's not even a foot high," Gay told The Associated Press. "He jumped in on them, he tried to keep them off.

"If it wasn't for George, those kids would have copped it."

One of the children, Richard Rosewarne, 11, was quoted in the Taranaki Daily News on Wednesday as saying George fought with the pit bulls to keep them off his 4-year-old brother, Darryl.

"George tried to protect us by barking and rushing at them, but they started to bite him -- one on the head and the other on the back," Rosewarne said. "We ran off crying and some people saw what was happening and rescued George."

But George was so badly mauled that a veterinarian had to put him down, Gay said.

South Taranaki District Council official Graham Young said the two pit bulls had been impounded, and likely would be put down because of the attack.

In New Zealand, owners of dogs judged to be too aggressive can be required to have them neutered and dogs involved in attacks are destroyed.

Copyright 2007 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Old 05-02-2007, 04:05 PM   #437
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:25 AM
That's the terrier spirit!!!

Run free over the bridge, George.

Old 05-02-2007, 10:23 PM   #438
ONE
love, blood, life

poor George what a hero.
Old 05-02-2007, 11:11 PM   #439
I Serve Larry's Stick

Local Time: 05:25 AM
My Cosmo

Old 05-02-2007, 11:16 PM   #440
ONE
love, blood, life

Awwwwe what a cutie pie!
Old 05-03-2007, 11:45 AM   #441
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Justin24
RIP George. Today you are a Hero.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/asiapc....ap/index.html

Ok, that made me cry.
Old 05-03-2007, 01:15 PM   #442
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by ~LadyLemon~
My Cosmo

Oh how CUTE!!! Is that a lab/rottie or lab/kelpie mix? I love black and tan dogs!
Old 05-03-2007, 06:48 PM   #443
I Serve Larry's Stick

Quote:
Originally posted by Liesje

Oh how CUTE!!! Is that a lab/rottie or lab/kelpie mix? I love black and tan dogs!
I love black and tan dogs too, have always loved those markings. We're not really sure what he is. The Humane Society had him listed as a Rott/shepherd mix, but he kind of looks like a rott/lab, though he has the size and certain mannerisms of Border Collies! Cosmo's got us puzzled by his heritage. We think he's young though. We've only had him for three months, but we're curious to see if he'll get any bigger....

Old 05-03-2007, 07:18 PM   #444
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

I love black and tan dogs too, have always loved those markings. We're not really sure what he is. The Humane Society had him listed as a Rott/shepherd mix, but he kind of looks like a rott/lab, though he has the size and certain mannerisms of Border Collies! Cosmo's got us puzzled by his heritage. We think he's young though. We've only had him for three months, but we're curious to see if he'll get any bigger....

He certainly has the ears and general size of a border collie. The nice thing about BCs is that the way they run/move is almost unique (really quick in the legs, lower to the ground, head down) so they can be easier to identify. Looking at that last pic, I'd guess Rottie/something mix (rottie/border collie or rottie/lab/border collie). Kelpies also have the black and tan coloring, so often Kelpies are mistaken as shepherd/lab mixes or rottie/shepherd mixes because people aren't as familiar with a Kelpie. However, looking at the ears and build of the dog, there's no real "Kelpie" but the coloring and maybe the snout. His chest is all Rottie.

A black-and-tan Kelpie
Old 05-03-2007, 07:55 PM   #445
Blue Crack Supplier

Location: 8 years and I still can't think of anything witty to put here
Quote:
Originally posted by LarryMullen's_POPAngel

We want pictures!
Old 05-04-2007, 02:03 AM   #446
Blue Crack Addict

I'll make my fiance bring a camera next Tuesday and you can see 12 puppies going completley beserk on each other.
Old 05-04-2007, 10:55 PM   #447
I Serve Larry's Stick

Quote:
Originally posted by Liesje

He certainly has the ears and general size of a border collie. The nice thing about BCs is that the way they run/move is almost unique (really quick in the legs, lower to the ground, head down) so they can be easier to identify. Looking at that last pic, I'd guess Rottie/something mix (rottie/border collie or rottie/lab/border collie). Kelpies also have the black and tan coloring, so often Kelpies are mistaken as shepherd/lab mixes or rottie/shepherd mixes because people aren't as familiar with a Kelpie. However, looking at the ears and build of the dog, there's no real "Kelpie" but the coloring and maybe the snout. His chest is all Rottie.

A black-and-tan Kelpie
Interesting....I'm familiar with so many breeds, but have never heard of Kelpies! He does have the rottie chest, but does have the overall leaness of the dog in the photo...

Right now he's shedding like crazy! I can't brush him/vacuum/sweep the floors enough...get ready for that when you get your GSD!
Old 05-04-2007, 11:53 PM   #448
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

Interesting....I'm familiar with so many breeds, but have never heard of Kelpies! He does have the rottie chest, but does have the overall leaness of the dog in the photo...
I've fancied herding breeds for years and I only just heard of them this year. They're basically the dog I was always looking for, however they have an insanely high drive and really are not fit for pets unless you live on a farm. I'd guess they're closest dog breed relative would be Australian Cattle Dogs. True Australian Kelpies are very rare here in the US. You can get mutts that look amazingly like a Kelpie (frame of a cattle dog, prick ears of a German Shepherd, herding tendencies from a border collie), but are not true Kelpie. I've read that you can only claim a dog is a Kelpie if you do have proof in pedigree that it's a Kelpie and not a cross of herding breeds that comes out looking like a Kelpie. I don't think I've ever seen a true one, but we did have a mutt at our shelter that could easily pass as one looks wise. I'd love to have one and join a flyball team with it!

I like these two colors:

Old 05-07-2007, 09:28 AM   #449
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 02:25 AM
I don't have a pic of my dog at the moment, but maybe you guys can answer a question for me. I have a dachshund, she's about 8 years old. The last couple of days she is super thirsty, she just can't get enough water. I'm kind of freaking out because of the pet food recalls, I don't feed her a recalled brand, obviously, but it is a moist food.
So, what are the symptoms that the dogs are getting from the recalled food, and/or what could her constant thirstiness mean??
Old 05-07-2007, 09:37 AM   #450
Blue Crack Addict

Since the poison in the recalled foods causes kidney failure, I'd guess symptoms would include things like more/less frequent urination, more/less frequent drinking, vomiting, and the animal looking nauseous and lethargic. Increased water consumption is also a symptom of Cushing's Disease, a urinary tract infection, and diabetes. All of these conditions require treatment, so I would take the dog to a vet and have a urinalysis and bloodwork done ASAP.