cute dog thread - Page 28 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 04-27-2007, 02:53 PM   #406
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:39 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by JCOSTER
^ He's just my baby anyway.
Ya, as he should be. I can't decide whether he's cute or handsome....

Old 04-27-2007, 02:59 PM   #407
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally posted by PlaTheGreat

The ride home.

Reminds me so much of my mom's beagle, Nikki

Everyone's kids are so cute.

Old 04-28-2007, 03:59 PM   #408
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 04:39 AM
a couple old pics of Falstaff from my gallery:

about 6 weeks, still living at the breeder's but after we'd paid for him

about 5 years(?), winded but happy after a game of mini-Frisbee

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
Old 04-28-2007, 04:20 PM   #409
Blue Crack Addict

Handsome! I definitely like the all black variety the best.

How do you find pugs? Phil used to say he wanted one. I'm not a big fan of dogs with smashed muzzles (dealing w/ the breathing and health problems) or dogs you have to reach down to pet, but I picked my dog and when he's done with school he gets to pick his. I've read they can be bullies like a bully breed (not mean and dominant, but pushy and impatient). Our neighbors had one that was a terror, but that's because the woman babied it and never trained it and the man hated it.
Old 04-28-2007, 04:57 PM   #410
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by Liesje

Ya, as he should be. I can't decide whether he's cute or handsome....

Sometimes Riley is handsome and majestic looking and other times he's just down right cute!
Old 04-28-2007, 06:14 PM   #411
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 04:39 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Liesje
Handsome! I definitely like the all black variety the best.

How do you find pugs? Phil used to say he wanted one. I'm not a big fan of dogs with smashed muzzles (dealing w/ the breathing and health problems) or dogs you have to reach down to pet, but I picked my dog and when he's done with school he gets to pick his. I've read they can be bullies like a bully breed (not mean and dominant, but pushy and impatient).
The Pug Dog Club of America's breeder list is where I'd start. Unfortunately the black ones are harder to come by, but they're certainly out there.

The breathing issues can definitely be a problem in hot humid weather, though there are surgical procedures available to correct the worst obstructive-palate or pinched-nostril problems. It also means they can't do high-intensity exercise like running for extended periods, as the monster inhale/exhales that ensue might cause their already squeezed tracheas to overconstrict. They'll recognize when that's happening themselves though, as they'll start to gag, and will automatically slow down. On the other hand, they're quite amenable to medium-length walks and hikes (say, 4-6 miles) as long as you build them up to it--just not on days when it's above around 80 F; then they're better off doing only a few blocks, followed by some vigorous indoor activity in a room with fans or A/C. While it's true that they can become "couch potatoes" from about 6 years on up IF you don't maintain a vigorous routine, younger pugs are typically high-energy dogs who will be bouncing off the walls (and can get quite destructive) if you don't exercise them enough. They love tug-of-war and "wrestling"-type games, and *most* of them enjoy fetching as well, though they're not as disciplined as a retriever or something would be about it. Falstaff also used to love chasing after one of those laser-pointer thingies.

And yeah, "pushy and impatient" is exactly what you'll (likely) get if you don't obedience train a pug thoroughly, and that's always the first thing I say to people who mention an interest in them. They've specifically been bred to be mischievous and "entertaining", not simply friendly and cuddly, and while that can make for some awfully cute moments, it can also lead to a lot of exasperation if you don't get across to them early on that they must always be alert and responsive to your lead. Although true dominance struggles with them are rare, they do tend to have a "Can't you see I'm busy--I don't have time for that silly come/sit/lie stuff right now" sort of attitude that requires a lot of patient correcting to get across to them that "When I talk, you listen". When I was training Falstaff, I had a lot of difficulty with that aspect because I just didn't get that about him at first--I was used to collies, who don't necessarily learn commands faster, but do reliably snap to attention when you speak. So I'd lose my patience with him, jerk at him and shout when I should've been calmly intervening to get him to focus instead, and until I figured out what was going on, the result was a self-fulfilling-prophecy type thing where a contest of wills ensued because he thought I was just obnoxiously muscling in on his playtime. I think most of the "stubbornness" and "pushiness" issues you hear about with pugs come from this kind of thing.

Like almost any breed, they do also have the potential to get anxious and nippy if you respond to their misbehavior excitedly, but that much I'm sure you guys wouldn't have a problem with. A truly aggressive pug is pretty much unheard of, and the only serious biting incidents I've ever heard of with them all involved food, basically "found treasure"-type incidents like I described in your journal once (keep them away from the garbage!) and they don't do repeated-lunge biting like the big guys--rather they dig in and hold, snarling, like a bulldog.

They're also somewhat difficult to potty-train, partly due to the above tendencies and partly due to the fact that they don't typically vocalize when they need to go out--they convey that through body language (usually walking in a circle followed by giving you a "meaningful look") instead. Establishing a regular potty-time schedule and sticking to it is very important with them. The one other thing I would mention, since you're getting a GSD, is that pugs can tend to get "too big for their britches" when playing with other dogs, and if not monitored and corrected as necessary, could possibly dangerously anger a larger dog by forcefully bodyslamming it, rearing up and shoving, repeatedly headbutting and so on.

They're great family dogs, great companion dogs and a whole lot of fun to just watch doing what they do best, being devilishly clever--they'll crack you up all the time. I just wish more people considering getting one would look past the "Awww, they're so cuuuute!" part to actually read the behavioral descriptions first, and make sure they're responsible enough to handle those "stubborn" tendencies--a lot of pugs wind up getting abandoned that way. They may be little, but they're plenty strong enough physically and forceful enough personality-wise to wreak lots of havoc if you don't train them well.

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
Old 04-28-2007, 06:49 PM   #412
Refugee

Local Time: 11:39 PM
I just got a 3 week old beagle puppy today
Old 04-28-2007, 06:58 PM   #413
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by europop2005
I just got a 3 week old beagle puppy today
!

Photos? Details? Red and white or black, white and brown?

Beagles
Old 04-28-2007, 07:35 PM   #414
Refugee

female...mostly white and brown but shes got this adorable black "facemask" across her eyes...and she has the most beautiful blue eyes...i'll put up pictures soon...shes smaller than my foot!
Old 04-28-2007, 08:47 PM   #415
Refugee

The new puppy, still unnamed

with my two other dogs, Sofia (left brown one) and Shadow (right black one)

Old 04-28-2007, 09:29 PM   #416
ONE
love, blood, life

OMG!! That is just the cutest thing!
Old 04-28-2007, 10:19 PM   #417
ONE
love, blood, life

Sooooooooooo cute and tiny!
Old 04-28-2007, 10:27 PM   #418
Blue Crack Addict

It's beyond cute but they let you take a 3 week old puppy home?

Puppies shouldn't leave their Mom until they're at least 7-8 weeks old.
Old 04-28-2007, 10:35 PM   #419
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

OK... got some updated pics of my boys tonight. Sprout (the baby) annoys his two older brothers waaay too much now for them to all lie down in the same spot like the first picture I posted, so I had to get individual shots this time. Anyway, in order of oldest to youngest (that being 13yrs, 10 yrs and about 10 months) here are:
Pepper

Chance

Sprout
Old 04-28-2007, 11:24 PM   #420
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 08:39 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by europop2005
[B]The new puppy, still unnamed