cute dog thread - Page 25 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-28-2007, 01:10 PM   #361
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:34 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by redhotswami
Thanks! I'm a proud mom

He hasn't taken anything but an obedience courseN, but I think this summer I'm going to sign him up. I've already trained him to run through tunnels and to jump over walls. Now I'm trying to get him to jump through hoops in the air.

I also heard of a "herding" school, where he would get to use his natural instincts. I think I'm going to get him into agility first before herding.

What is rally?
Cool! Aussies and BCs are also very adept at flyball. Herding school sounds cool. I love how the doggies and move a small flock of ducks through a course and into a little pool without wanting to attack the duck!

Rally is an obedience course. There's three levels. You go to the start with the dog and the judge says GO and you have to go through the course at whatever pace is best for you, no instruction from the judges. Each station has a sign indicating what your dog has to perform and you can do whatever you want except touch the dog (well in the first level you can use a lead on the dog). You get points from the judges and if there's a tie, the faster team is the winner. Each course is different and like agility, the handler can do a walk-through.

Old 03-28-2007, 06:07 PM   #362
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by starsgoblue
Here is my Bella

OMG, extremely adorable

Old 03-29-2007, 04:24 PM   #363
Blue Crack Addict

I took a couple pics of the squirmy monster in her new doggie tags. She likes OSU too.

Old 03-30-2007, 09:46 AM   #364
Blue Crack Addict

She has the white patch just like my dog-but mine is a border collie mixed-with-I-dunno-what
Old 03-31-2007, 05:40 PM   #365
Blue Crack Addict

I got her this little shirt for the game tonight. She loves wearing cloths, it cracks me up!

Old 03-31-2007, 07:18 PM   #366
Blue Crack Addict

Awwwwwwwwwwww
Old 03-31-2007, 09:23 PM   #367
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 03:34 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by starsgoblue
I got her this little shirt for the game tonight. She loves wearing cloths, it cracks me up!

Ok, that is just insanely cute.
Old 04-02-2007, 12:33 PM   #368
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 02:34 AM
Old 04-02-2007, 05:39 PM   #369
ONE
love, blood, life

^that was really amazing, funny too.
Old 04-02-2007, 06:28 PM   #370
Blue Crack Addict

This isn't MY dog, but I talk about her like she's mine Her name is Elka and she's a 2 year old GSD mix brought in as a stray. She's listed as GSD x cattle dog, but I think she's more GSD x Chow Chow or possibly Akita because she is much wider than a GSD and has the shorter more compact snout and the broad, wrinkly face like a Chow. I've been trying to spend more time with her b/c we realized that she has been physically abused by men. Her reaction to Phil just walking past her and looking at her had me floored. I've seen abused dogs and hand-shy dogs before, but this was the most disturbing reaction ever. She tries to run and hide from him, tail between legs. She will not look at him. If he doesn't leave quickly, she starts warning him with growls and quiet moans. This means that if he pressures her enough and she can't retreat, she will feel no choice but to attack him. The most disturbing part is that she does not recover after he leaves. He will stand 20 feet away from her for all of 5 seconds and it will take me 20 minutes to get her to trust me again. Most other dogs that are hand-shy of Phil will duck and cower, but once he leaves they recover and are on their merry way again. This is so terrible and means whatever was done to her has scarred her permanently. We've thought about desensitizing her to men, but when Phil tries to approach her, her reactions are so bad that she's only becoming more fearful. This poor baby will never trust large men and could be a liability because of her "fight or flight" reaction to a man only so much as glancing her direction.

Here is Phil holding Molly. She's a little dog that had a front leg amputated. Then just a week later, she got spayed on the day we were there. She was too groggy to go out so Phil held her in her dog bed.

Old 04-02-2007, 06:43 PM   #371
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 02:34 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Liesje
This isn't MY dog, but I talk about her like she's mine Her name is Elka and she's a 2 year old GSD mix brought in as a stray. She's listed as GSD x cattle dog, but I think she's more GSD x Chow Chow or possibly Akita because she is much wider than a GSD and has the shorter more compact snout and the broad, wrinkly face like a Chow. I've been trying to spend more time with her b/c we realized that she has been physically abused by men. Her reaction to Phil just walking past her and looking at her had me floored. I've seen abused dogs and hand-shy dogs before, but this was the most disturbing reaction ever. She tries to run and hide from him, tail between legs. She will not look at him. If he doesn't leave quickly, she starts warning him with growls and quiet moans. This means that if he pressures her enough and she can't retreat, she will feel no choice but to attack him. The most disturbing part is that she does not recover after he leaves. He will stand 20 feet away from her for all of 5 seconds and it will take me 20 minutes to get her to trust me again. Most other dogs that are hand-shy of Phil will duck and cower, but once he leaves they recover and are on their merry way again. This is so terrible and means whatever was done to her has scarred her permanently. We've thought about desensitizing her to men, but when Phil tries to approach her, her reactions are so bad that she's only becoming more fearful. This poor baby will never trust large men and could be a liability because of her "fight or flight" reaction to a man only so much as glancing her direction.

Here is Phil holding Molly. She's a little dog that had a front leg amputated. Then just a week later, she got spayed on the day we were there. She was too groggy to go out so Phil held her in her dog bed.

Poor Dog. How can anyone abuse them. They are so sweet and loving.
Old 04-02-2007, 08:29 PM   #372
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 05:34 AM
I'll try and emulate The Dog Whisperer a bit, for Elka's sake.

There was a similar story on The Dog Whisperer where this dog was only comfortable around females. Cesar broke him in by entering a room and completely ignoring the dog: no touch, no talk, no eye contact. Cesar kept his back to the dog the whole time, as this means that the dog is getting a chance to explore the new person without viewing them as a threat. Eventually, Cesar moved closer to him, little by little until the dog was completely calm around him.
Then Cesar gently slipped a collar and leash over his head, not pressuring him into it. It's important for the dog to be okay with the leash and collar before you take them on a walk.
They went walking, with Cesar assuming the pack leader position and they bonded during the walk. It was really amazing to see.

I don't know if it could work with Elka, but it might be worth a shot. She's incredibly cute!
Old 04-02-2007, 10:19 PM   #373
Blue Crack Addict

We've tried various approaches, but her flight or flight response is so heightened, she shows no curiosity whatsoever. Most of the other abused dogs have some level of tolerance for Phil and don't exhibit being hand-shy until he makes a move at them. Elka has no interest in him, even when he has treats. If I offer her treats, she's happy to take them, but if he offers her treats, she will not try them and then will refuse my treats as well. If she's out in the dog run and sees Phil come out the back door, she runs and hides, usually in the farthest corner or behind me. If she's in her kennel and he walks past, she ducks down and starts growling or giving warning barks. I've tried having her approach him while she's out on her walk, but she won't go near him and even if she sees him with another dog, it's like we're back to square one - getting her out of her kennel when she is comfortable, doing "NILF" and performing for her treats, wanting the lead on her neck, etc. She sees him and goes into complete panic mode. I've tried getting her into her groove of walking and heeling and passing him the lead, but she pulls away from him and it's really sad to see her feel so trapped.

We're going to give her a bit more time and see if she improves, otherwise I'm going to talk to the behaviorist because all of the HS employees are small to medium sized women and it's possible they have no clue how she reacts to men. She was brought in as a stray, adopted, and then returned for reasons we don't know.
Old 04-02-2007, 10:54 PM   #374
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

That's a real shame.

Maybe you can try something in the vein of Pavlov? Just have Phil walk by a doorway and then you reward her with a treat. Slowly start bring Phil in closer and closer.
That's about all I can suggest for now. I kinda wish I were a dog behaviorist.

ETA: I took Penny to South Beach this weekend -

Meeting another dog on the beach.

In the filthy dog beach.

Splitting a pizza.

The ride home.
Old 04-02-2007, 11:05 PM   #375
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally posted by PlaTheGreat
[B
The ride home. [/B]
SQUUUUEEEEEEE!!! That is the MOST adorable shot!