cute dog thread - Page 15 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-24-2006, 09:08 AM   #211
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:08 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Diemen
Cute dog - definitely looks to have a little pit in her.

That's too bad about your experience with pits. In my experience they can be absolutely outstanding dogs when the owner is responsible and trains them well (Sunny is a pit/lab mix and still my favorite dog I've ever known). Most do have dog aggression issues, but the majority of them are actually very affectionate and gentle with people by nature. There's just too many idiots out there who buy them because they look tough and then either neglect them or train them to be tough that has ruined their reputation.

That being said though, I don't know if I'd want to deal with raising a pure pit.
Yeah, I have nothing against them and I know more people that have never had a problem than people who have, but personally I'm afraid of them, so I don't think I'd be a very good handler. It wouldn't be fair for the dog. Pit bull terriers and staffordshire terriers are basically the same dog, except pits have fighting in their bloodlines and staffies don't, they are conformation dogs, just another terrier. However, like you said, both standards allow for dog aggression and fighting to the death to protect the owner/handler. The second bit is what worries me. I haven't heard of a pit attacking the owner, but there've been WAY too many instances of a pit defending against a surprise "intruder" like the mailman or a little kid. I suppose if I changed my mind and ever wanted one, I'd rather import a staffy than take my chances with a pit from the animal shelter. But yeah, I grew up in a really bad neighborhood during a period of gang war, so fighting pits were everywhere. They were always kept on heavy chains in yards and it was pretty common that they were beaten. The police have had to gun down several of them who have escaped.

I do think they are amazing dogs, the way their body is designed (well, to kill), but I just don't ever need to have one Also, we're hopefully moving to Florida and depending on where it might not be an option. Pit and pit mixes are banned in Dade county and most apartment complexes have breed restrictions against them and other dogs known to be aggressive (akitas, chows, rotties, and GSDs).

Old 06-24-2006, 11:18 AM   #212
War Child

Local Time: 04:08 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by U2Man

What a cutie!!!

Old 06-25-2006, 12:14 AM   #213
Refugee

Local Time: 02:08 AM
Quote:

I want a Bernese Mountain dog soooo bad.
Old 06-25-2006, 12:19 PM   #214
Blue Crack Addict

Location: Heaven In Alberta, Where We Got All Hell For A Basement..

my little puppy

messy bed room though (not mine)
Old 06-29-2006, 04:42 PM   #215
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

So it looks like I'm going to be fostering Luna for a week. I met her last Sunday and I think she has good potential. She is very hyper, but it seems like after the initial meeting she was able to calm down and seemed to be at ease with me pretty quickly. We'll see how she does at home with my housemate's older dog, and I'll take her to a couple dog parks and hiking a few times to see how she handles herself around other dogs and people. I pick her up this coming Wednesday. Hopefully she'll be a good fit!

Here are some more pics:

Old 06-29-2006, 06:04 PM   #216
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:08 AM
^she's adorable, I hope she's a good fit
Old 06-30-2006, 09:04 PM   #217
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 01:08 AM
Well, I've finally gotten my act together and scanned my old pics of our adorable dog Theo. These pics were taken in the 90's, so please excuse the crappy photos. I'm so sad that these are the only pics I have of him. I'll have to search through my parents pics sometime and see if they have more.

Old 07-01-2006, 08:39 PM   #218
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:08 AM

My little beaut is turning 7 months old next Sunday
Old 07-02-2006, 05:21 AM   #219
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:08 AM
Queen Bee, that carpet looks exactly like the carpet my parents have in their house
Old 07-02-2006, 01:04 PM   #220
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:08 AM
Quote:
Queen Bee, that carpet looks exactly like the carpet my parents have in their house
Good eye, U2Mansy. She's outside. It's cement
Old 07-02-2006, 02:20 PM   #221
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:08 AM
Old 07-02-2006, 10:36 PM   #222
War Child

Queen Bee, that dog is adorable!!!!! I have always wanted a doggie like that.
Old 07-03-2006, 10:20 PM   #223
Refugee

Local Time: 01:08 AM
I just got a new dog. He is a cross between a Rottweiler and a Collie. First he rips your arm off then he runs for help.
Old 07-06-2006, 01:05 AM   #224
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

I picked Luna up today. I took her for a long walk at a local dog park on the coast and she did pretty well. She's outstanding on a leash - doesn't pull at all and if I slow down, she'll slow down right away. She's very affectionate and loves meeting new people, but maybe a little too affectionate, she loves jumping onto people.

She is pretty quick-tempered with other dogs, though. I don't think she's trying to instigate a fight, I just think she wants to assert her dominance right from the beginning. There were only a couple dogs in the 45 minutes walking that she was fine when meeting up close. There were a couple she would snarl at but then allow a sniff, but I kept her on a short leash around other dogs, so she didn't try and escalate anything. I am a little concerned though. I'd like to have a dog I feel comfortable letting off leash to run around, but Luna definitely isn't at that point yet. It might be something some training classes could help with, though.

In the house Luna is really great. I was afraid she was going to be hyper non-stop, but she's actually pretty mellow, especially indoors. After the first hour just checking out the place, she settled right down and laid down at my feet when I was watching TV. As I type this she's asleep on her pet bed next to the desk.

I'll have to see what a couple of my more dog-savvy friends think of her. I'm concerned about her aggressiveness, but she's definitely got the personality otherwise that I was looking for. We'll see...
Old 07-07-2006, 10:07 AM   #225
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

And now you can this thread because Penny wins.