cute dog thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, we did end up walking. First we had to be shown how to walk a dog (like we don't know - but stuff like where the leashes are, how to get one out of the cage at a time, what to do w/ the heartworm+ dogs) and then we were supposed to leave but I asked if we could walk them by ourselves so Phil picked his favorite dog. Good thing I had time to change into my snowpants.

Yesterday I went to my dad's house and began to dog whisperer Rocky, his dachshund. He has a serious problem with food aggression and I think that's where most of his disobedience stems from. My dad thinks it's funny to put his hand on his back while he's eating to hear him growl, but I learned from Cesar (A.K.A. DOG GOD) that you need to erase that behavior completely.
So I started out with a treat on the floor and he immediately ran up to it and I stopped him. I latched onto his neck with my hand when I saw he was going to turn aggressive and my dad freaked because he started to show his teeth.

I won and he stayed away from the treat. My dad was amazed. He was worried about giving up this dog because it has a bit of a problem with his new baby in terms of being anxious.
I want to be a Cesar Millan. :mad: I will fix Rocky into a happy, healthy, balanced pet.

Good luck with Rocky! Food aggression should not be tolerated, you're right it's not funny at all. Growling and baring teeth is a failed temperament test and a shelter dog would be considered unadoptable unless the aggressive behavior could be corrected rather quickly. We had to watch this dumb (for other reasons) training video at the Humane Society last week and they showed a clip of a food aggressive dog. The dog was adopted as a tiny puppy and lived in a happy, healthy family his entire life, never abandoned, abused, or living in a wild pack, but was the most food aggressive dog the behaviorist (and myself) had ever seen. She had to tell the family he was not treatable and had to be put down. :(

I'm not familiar with dog whisperer, but I know that the dog has to feel that 1) it is NOT the alpha dog and has no business trying to boss you and b) it should not feel it has to guard food; it should feel safe and know it will always get food. Some things I've seen work are feeding the dog slowly out of your hand, forcing it to perform it's commands in order to get some food, and keeping it on a short leash while it eats so you can correct it's behavior.

Liesje said:
She had to tell the family he was not treatable and had to be put down. :(

How awful! Cesar has had a few cases where the owners have called him as a last ditch effort before euthanasia and he always tells them that it shouldn't even be considered. It just takes time and patience to mentally balance a dog. He took this one family's dog (that was going to be put down) for nearly two months and successfully rehabilitated him back to his family.

Some things I've seen work are feeding the dog slowly out of your hand, forcing it to perform it's commands in order to get some food, and keeping it on a short leash while it eats so you can correct it's behavior.

:up: That's exactly what Cesar did. He also made the dogs lie down in front of the bowl until they completely ignored it before letting him eat it. And he told the owners that they should remove him from the food multiple times so he gets accustomed to the touching.

Penny has a problem with food hogging. :lol: She was the runt of the litter so she eats as quickly as possible without breathing and usually ends up coughing and hacking. She's not aggressive though. I can put my hand in her bowl and all she does is eat faster. I've tried to slow her down but it only makes her eat faster. :sigh: Not much to do about that. Eventually she'll mellow out, I suppose.

PlaTheGreat said:

How awful! Cesar has had a few cases where the owners have called him as a last ditch effort before euthanasia and he always tells them that it shouldn't even be considered. It just takes time and patience to mentally balance a dog. He took this one family's dog (that was going to be put down) for nearly two months and successfully rehabilitated him back to his family.

That's awesome! The problem with the dog I mentioned was that it was more than growling and baring teeth, she got so keyed up she lunged after the behaviorist and everyone else in the room! Just one fake hand in the direction of the food bowl and she was ready to go for the jugular. I'd honestly never seen anything like it, not even from dogs who were beaten, starved, and abandoned. The dad had brought her in because she recently bit one of their kids and he needed medical treatment. The real disappointment was that the family had allowed the dog to behave this way for five years. Behaviors can be trained and retrained, but temperament cannot. If the dog is acting aggressively because of lack of training or some stressful external factor, they can be "fixed", but a dog that is just plain aggressive isn't suitable as a pet and it's sad for the dog to be living in constant fear and stress, always anxious and wired.

My cat Beckham is like Penny, he sometimes eats so fast, he will immediately barf, and then eat it! :yuck: I feed my animals in order of how fast they eat - slowest to fastest - so the slow ones don't feel threatened. Luckily food aggression in cats isn't a big deal since cats do not understand the hierarchical structure of a dog pack (a pack of cats is just a bunch of equals, scavenging for food).

James, the Westminster best in show. He's an English Springer Spaniel

r589966834.jpg

I was rooting for the Akita, but I knew James would win. He's a magnificent dog and has been winning all year.

The Best In Show wasn't as exciting as years past, having two poodles that looked the exact same and no real standout moments (like Carlee the German Shorthaired Pointer and her "stack heard 'round the world"). I do love watching Westminster though b/c it's live so they show every dog. Other shows that are taped and then edited tend to skip over all my favorite dogs or any dog that doesn't get a group placement later on.

I just love seeing so many breeds and learning about them. I would LOVE to be a handler. Unfortunately I was trying to watch Westminster and Boston Legal at the same time, and I feel asleep around 10:40 anyway. I'm not a big fan of the poodles.

James' handler easily makes six figures. I said to Phil last night "gees if only I could wear my nice business suit and give a little dog a jog around the arena and be set for life..." But I do appreciate how much work it is. Most of those dogs show once or twice a week, in a new city or country each time. They travel nonstop. Also, it's easy for me to take for granted the training of the dog. When those dogs stack in front of thousands of people cheering, it really is amazing. I doubt I could stand that still under those conditions. Not to mention the 7+ hours of grooming many of the breeds require.

CALVERT, Md. (AP) - Toby, a 2-year-old golden retriever, saw his owner choking on a piece of fruit and began jumping up and down on the woman's chest. The dog's owner believes the dog was trying to perform the Heimlich maneuver and saved her life.

Debbie Parkhurst, 45, of Calvert told the Cecil Whig she was eating an apple at her home Friday when a piece lodged in her throat. She attempted to perform the Heimlich maneuver on herself but it didn't work. After she began beating on her chest, she said Toby noticed and got involved.

"The next think I know, Toby's up on his hind feet and he's got his front paws on my shoulders," she recalled. "He pushed me to the ground, and once I was on my back, he began jumping up and down on my chest."

That's when the apple dislodged and Toby started licking her face to keep her from passing out, she said.

"I literally have pawprint-shaped bruises on my chest. I'm still a little hoarse, but otherwise, I'm OK," Parkhurst said.

"The doctor said I probably wouldnt be here without Toby," said Parkhurst, a jewelry artist. "I keep looking at him and saying 'You're amazing.'"

MrsSpringsteen said:
CALVERT, Md. (AP) - Toby, a 2-year-old golden retriever, saw his owner choking on a piece of fruit and began jumping up and down on the woman's chest. The dog's owner believes the dog was trying to perform the Heimlich maneuver and saved her life.

Debbie Parkhurst, 45, of Calvert told the Cecil Whig she was eating an apple at her home Friday when a piece lodged in her throat. She attempted to perform the Heimlich maneuver on herself but it didn't work. After she began beating on her chest, she said Toby noticed and got involved.

"The next think I know, Toby's up on his hind feet and he's got his front paws on my shoulders," she recalled. "He pushed me to the ground, and once I was on my back, he began jumping up and down on my chest."

That's when the apple dislodged and Toby started licking her face to keep her from passing out, she said.

"I literally have pawprint-shaped bruises on my chest. I'm still a little hoarse, but otherwise, I'm OK," Parkhurst said.

"The doctor said I probably wouldnt be here without Toby," said Parkhurst, a jewelry artist. "I keep looking at him and saying 'You're amazing.'"

That is unbelievable. When I was sick a few weeks ago, my golden did not leave the side of my bed, not even to go out an potty. He only went to potty when someone came home and they could take him. I love him soooo much!!!

Penny never hangs out in my room but when I'm sick she'll lie right next to my bed for hours at a time. She also knows when I'm feeling blue. She'll come and nudge my hand or follow me around the house.

:heart: Penny :heart:

We had a Great Pyrenees (named Bailey) who would let my mum lean on him when she was a bit unsteady walking. He would also come running over to her, no matter how much he wanted to run off and play with the other dog if she would make crying noises. It was as if he knew she needed him. :yes:

He never did stuff like that for me. I could cry all I wanted and he would just look at me like "Quit your crying, you sissy!" :grumpy:

AW! I love Pyrs, they are so pretty! One of the last great working breeds still doing it's original job in many parts of the world. My co-worker had two champions that died over Christmas and she just picked up her new Pyr pups on Sunday. She did mention they are one of those "one person" breeds, so her and her husband each have one.

indra said:
We had a Great Pyrenees (named Bailey) who would let my mum lean on him when she was a bit unsteady walking. He would also come running over to her, no matter how much he wanted to run off and play with the other dog if she would make crying noises. It was as if he knew she needed him. :yes:

He never did stuff like that for me. I could cry all I wanted and he would just look at me like "Quit your crying, you sissy!" :grumpy:

Pyrenees are such beautiful dogs! Good name too ;)

MrsSpringsteen said:

What kills me about the story as well was that the dog ate the piece of apple... :lol:

Thanks! I'm a proud mom :D

He hasn't taken anything but an obedience courseN, but I think this summer I'm going to sign him up. I've already trained him to run through tunnels and to jump over walls. Now I'm trying to get him to jump through hoops in the air.

I also heard of a "herding" school, where he would get to use his natural instincts. I think I'm going to get him into agility first before herding.

What is rally?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom