cute dog thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think I posted this picture in this thread:

bijousuitcase2jd.jpg

When I came back from Toronto after seeing the best concert ever, I dumped my suitcase on the floor. Just when I decided to pack everything away, little Bijou went up to it and nestled herself inside. :cute:

I miss my dogs so much when I'm in St. John's. :( They'd love the parks out here.

Look now Even your dog Can enjoy a Beer this upcoming Superbowl Weekend!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/6288107.stm

_42481391_kwispel_story_ap.jpg

Dutch brewers launch dogs' beer

"Kwispel" means tail-wagging in Dutch
A small brewery in the Netherlands has launched a new beer designed to bring cool relief to thirsty dogs.
Kwispelbier, marketed as "a beer for your best friend", is made from a special brew of beef extract and malt.

The beverage is a creation of pet shop owner Gerrie Berendsen, who wanted her dogs to share light refreshments with her after a day's hunting.

The beer is non-alcoholic and fit for human consumption, but costs four times as much as a Heineken.

"Kwispel" is the Dutch word for wagging a tail.

Ms Berendsen, who lives in the eastern town of Zelhem, commissioned the small local Schelde brewery to make and bottle the beer.

"Once a year we go to Austria to hunt with our dogs, and at the end of the day we sit on the verandah and drink a beer. So we thought, my dog also has earned it," Ms Berendsen told the Associated Press.

2 more pictures of my baby.
(Camera Phone)

3.jpg

2.jpg
(Where am I going to sleep??)

Last edited:
GibsonGirl said:
I don't think I posted this picture in this thread:

bijousuitcase2jd.jpg

When I came back from Toronto after seeing the best concert ever, I dumped my suitcase on the floor. Just when I decided to pack everything away, little Bijou went up to it and nestled herself inside. :cute:

I miss my dogs so much when I'm in St. John's. :( They'd love the parks out here.

:cute:

Is Bijou a shih-tzu?

So I started volunteering at the Humane Society, we'll be doing extended walks and obedience with the larger dogs. Of course the ONE dog I've fallen in love with is the ONE dog I can never have :sad: Her name is Nikita and she's a purebred Akita. She was a surrender b/c the previous owner didn't bother to research the breed and of course doesn't like her anymore. The problem is that she's the most well behaved dog in the kennel, to people. She's quiet, she gives kisses and puts her head down to be scratched. Oh and she's gorgeous. But anytime another animal comes by....then you see the REAL akita! She wants to kill every animal. She also can be stubborn and is about 100 lbs. I love her. I like to sit on the floor at her door and talk to her while I scratch her ear. I can't have her though b/c she would eat my cats! I feel so bad she's stuck in there b/c people are too dumb to research breeds. Akitas just aren't that nice, it's not their fault. :grumpy:

MI283.7714685-1-x.jpg

/rant

Liesje said:
So I started volunteering at the Humane Society, we'll be doing extended walks and obedience with the larger dogs. Of course the ONE dog I've fallen in love with is the ONE dog I can never have :sad: Her name is Nikita and she's a purebred Akita. She was a surrender b/c the previous owner didn't bother to research the breed and of course doesn't like her anymore. The problem is that she's the most well behaved dog in the kennel, to people. She's quiet, she gives kisses and puts her head down to be scratched. Oh and she's gorgeous. But anytime another animal comes by....then you see the REAL akita! She wants to kill every animal. She also can be stubborn and is about 100 lbs. I love her. I like to sit on the floor at her door and talk to her while I scratch her ear. I can't have her though b/c she would eat my cats! I feel so bad she's stuck in there b/c people are too dumb to research breeds. Akitas just aren't that nice, it's not their fault. :grumpy:

MI283.7714685-1-x.jpg

/rant

Have you tried watching The Dog Whisperer? This seems like a classic Cesar case to me.
I've recently been trying a few of the techniques on his show on dogs I meet up with and they nearly always work. I got my friend's incredibly fierce English setter to for a walk, encounter two loose dogs and had him turn around and lie down to ignore them. He was doing fine and the other two dogs stopped barking at him completely and walked away.

Nope, I haven't seen that.

Personally, I think all of the "problems" Nikita has are just breed traits getting out of control b/c the owners didn't take proper care of their dog. Yes, they have extremely high prey drives. Yes, they are typically aggressive towards other dogs of the same sex. Yes, they are not affectionate with strangers and often naturally guard. Yes, they will become dominant even towards people if not properly trained. Her previous owners said she was "bad", but she was just being akita, and now she has to pace around a tiny cell with dozens of dogs barking incessantly. An akita that is tolerant of unfamiliar dogs is a rare akita indeed, but all it takes is a simple Google search to learn these facts.

:mad:

Cesar sez:

Before they are a breed, they are a dog. All dogs are pack animals, regardless of breed.
What you really need is a pack leader to give her a guide as to how to react around other dogs. My dad's dog is a dachshund and he swears that he doesn't like his new baby because "the breed isn't good for children." But then every time they get Rocky close enough to the baby they start to panic and get him agitated to the point where he's expected to react a certain way. I've never been bitten by him and he treats my dad and I with utmost respect because we feel that dogs aren't looking to you for a friend first and foremost. They need someone to be in control over them to show them how to see the world calmly. It's how dogs were domesticated. If you let them be leaders among themselves, fights will happen as they do in nature with wolves and whatnot.

Here's a clip of the show so you can see how he corrects unwanted behavior. And it's not at all about being mean to the dog or never giving affection. You just have to know exactly when to give it so that you don't encourage unwanted behavior.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyGCM1lNx7k

:drool: Cesar. I really really LOVE that man! My parents got one of his DVDs, and I watched it. I think they got it because mom has the hots for him too (note: they DON'T have a dog!) Anyway, he's helped me with some useful tactics for Bailey. The man is BRILLIANT!!!

< /fangirl>

redhotswami said:
:drool: Cesar. I really really LOVE that man! My parents got one of his DVDs, and I watched it. I think they got it because mom has the hots for him too (note: they DON'T have a dog!) Anyway, he's helped me with some useful tactics for Bailey. The man is BRILLIANT!!!

< /fangirl>

:hyper:
I love him soooo much! Everything he says makes so much sense to me. He's just fascinating to watch when he snaps these dogs out if it in minutes.

Of course, he does run into problem dogs from abuse and whatnot, so it's not always a quick fix. Every now and then he has to take a dog for a month or so to rehabilitate them with his pack of dogs at the psychology center.

oh i LOVES when he goes to his center. and the dogs run up to him and bow at his feet when he snaps his fingers. Just like I would!!! :love:

I do the :snap: and :shh: with Bailey now and he responds! Haha did you see when Daisy Fuentes had her dog on there, and she tried the technique and her dog ignored her? :lol: Her expression was priceless!

redhotswami said:
oh i LOVES when he goes to his center. and the dogs run up to him and bow at his feet when he snaps his fingers. Just like I would!!! :love:

I do the :snap: and :shh: with Bailey now and he responds! Haha did you see when Daisy Fuentes had her dog on there, and she tried the technique and her dog ignored her? :lol: Her expression was priceless!

:tsk: It's all about calm assertive energy! :drool:

We're going to the HS again tonight, but it snowed another foot today (and still going strong), they never plow the sidewalks by the HS, and I have a cast on my leg. Maybe the doggies will settle for just being petted? :wink:

Liesje said:
We're going to the HS again tonight, but it snowed another foot today (and still going strong), they never plow the sidewalks by the HS, and I have a cast on my leg. Maybe the doggies will settle for just being petted? :wink:

:lol: hope so! mine sure doesn't. he lets me know when it is time to go walking, and he walks through all sorts of weather.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom