Curse the snow!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

oliveu2cm

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
No seriously. It took me an HOUR to drive ONE MILE today. AHHH, i feel like my head is caving in. Really I can only laugh at how :censored: it is out there. It snowed an inch, which in turn sheeted the entire roadways with ice. Soooo accidents abound and you're *lucky* to move a mile in an hour.

Needless to say I turned around and am back home. Dunno when I can make the time up!! :scream: :banghead:

it's never easy :laugh:

:love: snow...it's so snowy here today...blizzarding almost.

Of course, I say all this tucked up in the warmth of my bedroom with the heater at my feet and an expresso in my hand. Wait till I have to drive the trecharous 1/2 hor (which will undoubtedly be an hour) to school on the busiest highway in Canada/North America. Ahhh, the 401. Ahh, the pain.

Ahh, this day sucks.

snow is absolutely useless unless it's enough to close work... woo hoo... 3 inches of snow... whoopity doo. all it does is make all these sissy mary's forget how to friggin drive, causing horus of delays and aggrivation. argh... we've got a few scattered flurries here... just thinkin' about it snowing again pisses me off

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!!!! Snow!!!! :heart: I used to live in Southern Texas where it snowed 2 times in my whole life...but when I moved here to Maryland when I first saw snow I was like a 5 year old wanting to go out and play in the snow everytime it did snow...so I can't wait for it to come back!

And yes I agree I love when the snow causes work to close :D

We are desperate for snow here in the Southwest. Life literally depends on it. :(

worst... inch of snow... ever...
SIMP790.gif

Informer, you no say
that's who I'm gonna blame
a licky boom boom down
Detective man said Daddy Snow
I stabbed someone down the lane
a licky boom boom down

i curse the snow cos despite the fact that i was wearing boots, i slid on some ice and ripped a hole in the knee of my jeans.

you're telling me, in the billions and billions and billions of snow flakes that have fallen, no 2 have been the same?

puhlease

AvsGirl41 is right :wink:

here i took a pic of the pathetic dusting that caused such a mess this morning

Attachments

• snow.jpg
    snow.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 45
i dont care what avsgirl or you or any scientist says

i will remain steadfast in my belief that in all of time, in the almost infinite amount of snowflakes that have fallen, at least 2 have been the same

http://www.straightdope.com/classics/a3_392.html

Dear Cecil:

How do they know with any degree of certainty that no two snowflakes are alike? When I took statistics I was taught that to draw a valid conclusion one had to take a representative sample of the entire population. But considering the impossibly large number of flakes in a single snowfall, let alone that have ever fallen, how could snowologists have possibly taken a sample large enough to conclude that no two are alike? --Leslie B. Turner, San Pedro, California

Dear Leslie:

They didn't, of course. Chances are, in fact, that there are lots of duplicates. What the snowologists really mean is that your chance of finding duplicates is virtually zero. It's been calculated that in a volume of snow two feet square by ten inches deep there are roughly one million flakes. Multiply that by the millions of square miles that are covered by snow each year (nearly one fourth of the earth's land surface), and then multiply that by the billions of winters that have occurred since the dawn of time, and it's obvious we're talking unimaginable googols of flakes. Some of these are surely repeats.

VINDICATION!

Some months ago, Straight Dope fiends will recall, this column struck a mighty blow for truth and freedom by attacking the belief that no two snowflakes are alike, a superstition that has blighted the lives of millions. Not having time to inspect all the world's snowflakes (besides, I lost the tweezers), Cecil relied instead on the crushing logic of mathematics, arguing that so many flakes had fallen since the dawn of time that there were bound to be a few duplicates.

Naturally, many scoffed. One peanut-brain called to say he knew for sure no two snowflakes were alike because he had heard it on Nova. There was also the unfortunate business with the googols, which we won't go into here. My defense in all cases was couched strictly in theoretical terms, since I did not expect any actual cases of twin flakes to turn up (although I must say the cast of characters in those Doublemint commercials certainly came close).

I was therefore pleasantly surprised to read in the bulletin of the American Meteorological Society that matching snow crystals were recently discovered by Nancy Knight of the National Center for Atmospheric Research. The crystals in question admittedly aren't flakes in the usual sense but rather hollow hexagonal prisms. They are also not absolutely identical, but come on, if you insist on getting down to the molecular level, nothing's identical. They're close enough for me. Just shows you, not only is this column at the cutting edge of science, sometimes we have to wait for the cutting edge to catch up.

--CECIL ADAMS

Last edited:
I departed the North Shore at 6:30 AM for my normal 40 minute commute to East Boston. I arrived at my office promptly at 11AM.
The worst commute I have ever experienced by a loooooong shot.

Back
Top Bottom