CUOMO'S WRITING, BUT WEEZER'S "DONE" -- RollingStone.com

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dsmith2904

ONE love, blood, life
Got this from RollingStone.com this morning. Such a bummer because Weezer rocks. I thought the band was so incredibly tight opening for Foo Fighters last fall. I do look forward to whatever Rivers has up his sleeve but there was something really special about that band.

CUOMO'S WRITING, BUT WEEZER'S "DONE"

RIVERS CUOMO spent the last month graduating from Harvard University and tying the knot with his girlfriend, but that hasn't kept the WEEZER frontman from songwriting. Among the tunes he's penned so far are a tribute to his influences entitled "Heart Songs" and a nod to the U.S. soccer team called "Our Time Will Come." Don't hold your breath for a new Weezer album, though. Cuomo told MTV News, "For the moment, we are done. And I'm not certain we'll ever make a record again, unless it becomes really obvious to me that we need to do one."

I'd feel really bad about this if came out 8 years ago....now though, I really think they need a long break.

The most unfortunate thing for me is that they're "ending" with Make Believe. I personally rank it at the very bottom rung of all of their previous efforts (though I admit to listening to a number of the songs lately and they're much better than I remember them being).

That said, I still have a decent amount of confidence that they'll get back together and make more records in the future. It may be a while, but I can't see why they wouldn't.

It seems that Rivers has already changed his mind after a month and a half:

http://www.weezer.com/news/default....d=479title=08/19/06+they+don't+know+who+we+be

..A Public Service Announcement from the weez: We right here!

(except for Pat who's on a family vacation right now)

this PSA has been brought to you by the fine guacamole dip at Scott Shriner's house, co-sponsored by a ring of fine cheese, and a dish of fresh figs from the back yard. Now please, take those "weezer split?" headlines and place them firmly into the "Don't believe the hype" bin. And have yourself a fine afternoon now.

1483318-Full.jpg

Rivers looks crazy in that pic...:ohmy:

Rivers IS crazy... Crazy AWESOME.

Weezer has, I've heard, tons of unreleased work. Sure, Make Believe wasn't a great album, but it was still a Weezer album, and even if some of the older (ie, long-time, not necessarily 'old') were rubbed the wrong way by the pop-vibes of it, it's not like it was terrible.

I'm not terribly concerned, even if Rivers does some work on his own, or everyone has little side-projects, or even if it takes 10 years to release the next Weezer album. They've been at this too long to depart from it in any major way; I'm fairly certain that no matter what they're doing, they'll keep coming back to their classic Weezer formula.

I thought Make Believe sucked in general (I also think Maladroit was brilliant with mediocre lyrics, LOL) but it has grown on me after listening to it again this past month. Lyrically, the album will always suck, but the music is still somewhat good. I'll always be a fan of Weezer!

Back
Top Bottom