Cunter, Switzerland superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
gluey said:
I grew up near a beach called Maraetai.....I always remember Dad telling a friend visiting from Belfast how to pronounce it..."Ma-right-eye"......:lol: I can never think of it without wondering where my left eye is.....

:lol:

The one that trips me up EVERY FUCKING TIME is Waikouaiti in Otago. It's actually where some of my family first settled before heading into Central Otago, but the chances of me pronouncing it correctly are only about 50/50!

Axver said:

The one that trips me up EVERY FUCKING TIME is Waikouaiti in Otago. It's actually where some of my family first settled before heading into Central Otago, but the chances of me pronouncing it correctly are only about 50/50!

:scratch: Ok, I'll give it a go.....

for the non-maori speakers....

Why-koo-eye-tee? Close? Miles off? No cigar?

Axver said:

:lol: YES. Whaka, I love Maori.

Whakatane, Whakamoana, Whakatane ...
My kids have to do Te Reo at school.....my 8yr old loves a couple of the songs they have to sing...."MUM!!! We sung the 'f' word at school today!!! We said FUCKER!!!"

:lmao:

KhanadaRhodes said:

it reminds me of when split enz named their album waiata. that's a bit easier to pronounce, but still, it's not an english word so you'd still have a lot of people left wondering how it's supposed to be said.

I hate how the remaster you sent me has the Corroboree name, but I'm too lazy to fix the tags.

gluey said:

:scratch: Ok, I'll give it a go.....

for the non-maori speakers....

Why-koo-eye-tee? Close? Miles off? No cigar?

What will really trip you up is that the locals like to drop the last 'i' too. My Nan, from Central, calls it Why-kau-eet sometimes. Almost "why cow eat?"! :lol:

Incidentally, I grew up just south of Otaihanga, "oh, tie hanger!", and Waikanae, "why can I".

gluey said:

My kids have to do Te Reo at school.....my 8yr old loves a couple of the songs they have to sing...."MUM!!! We sung the 'f' word at school today!!! We said FUCKER!!!"

:lmao:

I love our national anthem in Maori. In the first verse: "ATA WHAKARONGONA!" I belt it out every time.

Axver said:

I hate how the remaster you sent me has the Corroboree name, but I'm too lazy to fix the tags.

Has/can Lila get this remaster, we're in dire need of Waiata. You can tell me to bugger off if you want :)

RavenBlue said:
So.,. that would actually be

Fakapapa :giggle:

The best part is that "fuck a Papa-", er, "whakapapa" means "ancestry". How appropriate.

hardyharhar said:

Has/can Lila get this remaster, we're in dire need of Waiata. You can tell me to bugger off if you want :)

Not from me! It's on my Mac and it won't connect to the Internet at the moment, for reasons I cannot fathom.

Hopefully Khan can help. :)

mysterious_jen said:
i think this thread has carked it ! i have mega freaking housework to do , its been building up beacuse of my postwhoring :madwife:

so i will be back soon.

:lol: Yeah, I've got stuff I need to do ...

Please don't die, thread. I hate housework.

Well, you should've shown up a little earlier, Bonnie! We made this thread with you in mind. :)

And hey! :wave:

Axver said:
Well, you should've shown up a little earlier, Bonnie! We made this thread with you in mind. :)

And hey! :wave:

Well, ain't that nice of you! :wave:

I would have, but I was in the car coming back to Adelaide, plus I had to pack up stuff. And I slept in again. :reject:

I'm surprised I actually woke up before we moved on to a new thread. Wetwang was really slow there at the end. :down:

Damnit, I should do my housework. I need to be rich, then I could pay people to do it for me.

You know what? Ax, I really like your Achtung Baby playlist, but I can't get into "Where Did It All Go Wrong?" Just don't like the song.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom