Cumby, Texas Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dear non-famous-Milans of the world,

No, changing the pronunciation of Milan to distinguish yourself from the famous Italian one does not make you cool.

Makes you look pretty silly really.

Regards,
The rest of the world

Dear non-famous-Milans of the world,

No, changing the pronunciation of Milan to distinguish yourself from the famous Italian one does not make you cool.

Makes you look pretty silly really.

Regards,
The rest of the world
:lol: i didn't know it was pronounced differently until i worked at my old job. we had a contract for a school there, and i was like "oh, i didn't know there was a mi-lahhn in tennessee" i was informed it's pronounced "my-lan" :der:

DUH. the one in tennessee.

1. i can drive there in like maybe two hours
2. have you ever HEARD how it's pronounced?

I would have thought we should go to any Milan BUT the one in TN. :wink:

And I didn't see your #2 before making my last post! :laugh:

:lol: i didn't know it was pronounced differently until i worked at my old job. we had a contract for a school there, and i was like "oh, i didn't know there was a mi-lahhn in tennessee" i was informed it's pronounced "my-lan" :der:

It'd be OK if Milan, TN had its own etymological origins. For example, Otaki in New Zealand and Otaki in Japan are pronounced differently because one is from Maori and one is from Japanese.

But if you're named after the Italian Milan as the TN one is, then you just look daft if you change the pronunciation! Shall I have a son, call him Bono, and say it's pronounced "Booon-ow"?

Oh we havent been talking about the one in TN this whole time :huh:

Wow only 799 to go to Italy.. Lets go!

I didn't know there was a Milan in TN until I checked Wikipedia just then. I'm not surprised though, since it seems just about every second TN town is named after a European city.

It'd be OK if Milan, TN had its own etymological origins. For example, Otaki in New Zealand and Otaki in Japan are pronounced differently because one is from Maori and one is from Japanese.

But if you're named after the Italian Milan as the TN one is, then you just look daft if you change the pronunciation! Shall I have a son, call him Bono, and say it's pronounced "Booon-ow"?

:ohmy: Im naming my kid ca-ris mar-tine

i've never heard any reasoning as to why it's pronounced differently. what i say is, this is the south. everything's pronounced exactly how it looks. and some people not from the south, or not used to that, don't know how to pronounce things.

example: how would you pronounce "tunica"?

i've never heard any reasoning as to why it's pronounced differently. what i say is, this is the south. everything's pronounced exactly how it looks. and some people not from the south, or not used to that, don't know how to pronounce things.

example: how would you pronounce "tunica"?

Yeah, I can totally hear some ultra-Southern person saying "my-lan". But I'd put it down to their accent, not a conscious attempt to change the place's pronunciation. Oh well, if I ever find myself in TN again and somehow end up in Milan, if anybody questions me, I'll just keep pronouncing it like the Italian city's name and say it's because of my accent. :wink:

And too-nik-uh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom