Cumby, Texas Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Peterrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrs post didn't originally say serious replies only, right?

Must've, since it doesn't say he edited the post, which it would if he'd edited it over 2 minutes after making the post.

Examples:

Warriors looking to sign Mathew Head
Tags: boof head, dick head, hammerhead, head, head job, head related puns, headache, punshead ?

Warriors sign Joel Moon
Tags: blue moon, f.o ravs, moon related puns, new moon, over the moon, vulcans love ravs, witt wanking brigade

My favourite

Reporting abusive tags
Tags: abuse, bloody forum cops, post whores, reporting, sheep tagger, stupid tags,, tag me up the arse, tim tam tags, timmah talks tags, timmah the taggot, what tags, what's a tag?

Examples:

Warriors looking to sign Mathew Head
Tags: boof head, dick head, hammerhead, head, head job, head related puns, headache, punshead ?

Warriors sign Joel Moon
Tags: blue moon, f.o ravs, moon related puns, new moon, over the moon, vulcans love ravs, witt wanking brigade

My favourite

Reporting abusive tags
Tags: abuse, bloody forum cops, post whores, reporting, sheep tagger, stupid tags,, tag me up the arse, tim tam tags, timmah talks tags, timmah the taggot, what tags, what's a tag?

:lmao: That's hilariously awesome.

And according to Good News Week, doing the haka apparently improves your sex life. :laugh:

Ahh no, I went off for a nap. What's that woman gone and done now?

She's said that a possible solution to peak-time overcrowding would be the return of seven-carriage trains.

This completely ignores numerous facts, including but not limited to:
1. The 7 carriage Tait sets of days gone by had shorter carriages. Their 7 carriage length was barely longer than today's 6 carriage sets.
2. Where the hell are these carriages going to come from? Comeng's just going to rise from the ashes to make extra carriages for the Comeng sets? Despite the fact these are trains we should actually be phasing out in about 10 years?
3. OK, great, 7 carriage trains. Our stabling sidings are built for trains made up in multiples of 3. A 12 carriage siding can hold either two 6 carriage sets, or one 7 carriage set with a shitload of wasted space.
4. 7 carriage trains using today's carriage lengths would be too long for City Loop platforms. Only by a few metres. Thus, either the driver's cabin would overshoot the platform, making assistance for wheelchair-bound passengers difficult/impossible, or the last door of the last carriage would not reach the platform and would have to be locked, necessitating longer dwell times at stations, especially with the stupid two door Nexas sets.

Good god this woman has NO IDEA what she is doing.

She's said that a possible solution to peak-time overcrowding would be the return of seven-carriage trains.

This completely ignores numerous facts, including but not limited to:
1. The 7 carriage Tait sets of days gone by had shorter carriages. Their 7 carriage length was barely longer than today's 6 carriage sets.
2. Where the hell are these carriages going to come from? Comeng's just going to rise from the ashes to make extra carriages for the Comeng sets? Despite the fact these are trains we should actually be phasing out in about 10 years?
3. OK, great, 7 carriage trains. Our stabling sidings are built for trains made up in multiples of 3. A 12 carriage siding can hold either two 6 carriage sets, or one 7 carriage set with a shitload of wasted space.
4. 7 carriage trains using today's carriage lengths would be too long for City Loop platforms. Only by a few metres. Thus, either the driver's cabin would overshoot the platform, making assistance for wheelchair-bound passengers difficult/impossible, or the last door of the last carriage would not reach the platform and would have to be locked, necessitating longer dwell times at stations, especially with the stupid two door Nexas sets.

Good god this woman has NO IDEA what she is doing.

I went straight to point 4 in my mind. Most of the platforms in most stations are too short for 7-carriage trains anyway. Besides, that'd totally screw up the 3-carriage set.

What's your solution?

I went straight to point 4 in my mind. Most of the platforms in most stations are too short for 7-carriage trains anyway. Besides, that'd totally screw up the 3-carriage set.

What's your solution?

Yeah, exactly. It's just not feasible at all. It seems like she heard we used to have 7 carriage Tait sets and didn't even bother to think that the Tait carriages may not have been as long as today's trains! The Taits were astonishingly flexible too, you could run them in pretty much any configuration from 1 to 7 carriages.

My immediate solution is to remove some seats to provide more standing room. The aisles in Melbourne trains are moronically narrow. Make the seating 2 by 2, not 3 by 2. That would provide a surprising amount of extra loading. Maybe also remove a complete row or two around the doors. No need to go crazy with longitudinal seating and force most people to stand, especially not on the longer lines, but this will at least give us some additional space straight away.

Medium term, expand platforms to hold 9 or 12 carriage trains. Not sure how to fix the City Loop in that regard, as it would cost shitloads to extend it. Maybe run 9 or 12 carriage trains via Flinders/Spencer without going through the Loop, and 6 car sets through the loop. And improve signalling so that we can run trains at much higher frequencies.

Or at least deporting her to New South Wales. She'd fit in there, I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom