Cumby, Texas Superthread - Page 10 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-23-2008, 07:41 AM   #136
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 08:40 PM
Damnit, is it dead thread time?

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 06-23-2008, 07:51 AM   #137
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 07:40 PM
I'm still around, but doing other things.

Old 06-23-2008, 07:55 AM   #138
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post
Hey, U-Wen, have you heard Kosky's latest brilliant idea?

I swear to god, this woman is officially the stupidest person in all Melbourne.
You seemingly missed this earlier.

"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 06-23-2008, 07:56 AM   #139
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
You seemingly missed this earlier.
When was this? And what did you say?
Old 06-23-2008, 07:58 AM   #140
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally Posted by major_panic View Post
When was this? And what did you say?
First page. That was the full quote of what I said.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 06-23-2008, 07:59 AM   #141
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
First page. That was the full quote of what I said.
Ahh no, I went off for a nap. What's that woman gone and done now?
Old 06-23-2008, 08:04 AM   #142
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Ahh no, I went off for a nap. What's that woman gone and done now?
She's said that a possible solution to peak-time overcrowding would be the return of seven-carriage trains.

This completely ignores numerous facts, including but not limited to:
1. The 7 carriage Tait sets of days gone by had shorter carriages. Their 7 carriage length was barely longer than today's 6 carriage sets.
2. Where the hell are these carriages going to come from? Comeng's just going to rise from the ashes to make extra carriages for the Comeng sets? Despite the fact these are trains we should actually be phasing out in about 10 years?
3. OK, great, 7 carriage trains. Our stabling sidings are built for trains made up in multiples of 3. A 12 carriage siding can hold either two 6 carriage sets, or one 7 carriage set with a shitload of wasted space.
4. 7 carriage trains using today's carriage lengths would be too long for City Loop platforms. Only by a few metres. Thus, either the driver's cabin would overshoot the platform, making assistance for wheelchair-bound passengers difficult/impossible, or the last door of the last carriage would not reach the platform and would have to be locked, necessitating longer dwell times at stations, especially with the stupid two door Nexas sets.

Good god this woman has NO IDEA what she is doing.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 06-23-2008, 08:09 AM   #143
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
She's said that a possible solution to peak-time overcrowding would be the return of seven-carriage trains.

This completely ignores numerous facts, including but not limited to:
1. The 7 carriage Tait sets of days gone by had shorter carriages. Their 7 carriage length was barely longer than today's 6 carriage sets.
2. Where the hell are these carriages going to come from? Comeng's just going to rise from the ashes to make extra carriages for the Comeng sets? Despite the fact these are trains we should actually be phasing out in about 10 years?
3. OK, great, 7 carriage trains. Our stabling sidings are built for trains made up in multiples of 3. A 12 carriage siding can hold either two 6 carriage sets, or one 7 carriage set with a shitload of wasted space.
4. 7 carriage trains using today's carriage lengths would be too long for City Loop platforms. Only by a few metres. Thus, either the driver's cabin would overshoot the platform, making assistance for wheelchair-bound passengers difficult/impossible, or the last door of the last carriage would not reach the platform and would have to be locked, necessitating longer dwell times at stations, especially with the stupid two door Nexas sets.

Good god this woman has NO IDEA what she is doing.
I went straight to point 4 in my mind. Most of the platforms in most stations are too short for 7-carriage trains anyway. Besides, that'd totally screw up the 3-carriage set.

What's your solution?
Old 06-23-2008, 08:14 AM   #144
Vocal parasite

Quote:
I went straight to point 4 in my mind. Most of the platforms in most stations are too short for 7-carriage trains anyway. Besides, that'd totally screw up the 3-carriage set.

What's your solution?
Yeah, exactly. It's just not feasible at all. It seems like she heard we used to have 7 carriage Tait sets and didn't even bother to think that the Tait carriages may not have been as long as today's trains! The Taits were astonishingly flexible too, you could run them in pretty much any configuration from 1 to 7 carriages.

My immediate solution is to remove some seats to provide more standing room. The aisles in Melbourne trains are moronically narrow. Make the seating 2 by 2, not 3 by 2. That would provide a surprising amount of extra loading. Maybe also remove a complete row or two around the doors. No need to go crazy with longitudinal seating and force most people to stand, especially not on the longer lines, but this will at least give us some additional space straight away.

Medium term, expand platforms to hold 9 or 12 carriage trains. Not sure how to fix the City Loop in that regard, as it would cost shitloads to extend it. Maybe run 9 or 12 carriage trains via Flinders/Spencer without going through the Loop, and 6 car sets through the loop. And improve signalling so that we can run trains at much higher frequencies.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 06-23-2008, 08:18 AM   #145
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Marching down to her office and killiing her seems like a better idea every day...
Old 06-23-2008, 08:22 AM   #146
Vocal parasite

Or at least deporting her to New South Wales. She'd fit in there, I think.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 06-23-2008, 10:13 AM   #147
Vocal parasite

I love it when people get excited about "new" information that tells us absolutely nothing new.

(I'd have said that on the actual thread, but since Peterrrr and I are already conflicting on EYKIW, I figure it's best to simply have a discussion with you guys - if any of you are still around! Blah, dead thread.)

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 06-23-2008, 10:48 AM   #148
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 11:40 AM
self proclaimed bono voice maniac
Old 06-23-2008, 10:51 AM   #149
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 04:40 AM
Quote:
Marching down to her office and killiing her seems like a better idea every day...
I haven't read any of this thread but this thread is pretty fucking intriguing.
Old 06-23-2008, 11:02 AM   #150
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 02:40 AM
i've been gone a while. what the hell is this thread?

Tags
superthread