Cumbum Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
LemonMacPhisto said:

Welcome to the Machine is worse than anything on Animals or Meddle though, but you're probably right, WYWH is a good 2nd album.

When can he get The Division Bell? :wink:

WTTM has just two plays on my iTunes, but I disagree it's worse than some of the stuff on Meddle. I think it's Seamus that I remember being horrible.

I reckon he should go from here:

1. WYWH
2. Animals
3. Piper
4. Division Bell

phillyfan26 said:
Who are the Magic playing? I haven't followed the NBA closely at all this year, due to my strong preference to the NCAA.
*realises LMP wasn't talking about the nerdy card game also called Magic*

:reject:

:lol:

1. Dark Side of the Moon
2. Wish You Were Here
3. Animals

That's what I'm doing as of right now. After that, it's debatable.

Alisaura said:

Yeah, that's the one...

I don't have Animals, obviously. :lol:

Animals is awesome. Maybe I'll have to do another CD of music for you. :wink:

What Pink Floyd do you have/like?

phillyfan26 said:

Who are the Magic playing? I haven't followed the NBA closely at all this year, due to my strong preference to the NCAA.

The Raptors. Chris Bosh would single-handedly destroy them during the regular season, but the Raps have been slummin' recently - hopefully the Magic can actually win games at home this round.

LemonMacPhisto said:
It's a good introduction into their longer tracks, too.

Agreed. And that's why I think WYWH is the better album to hit than Animals - SOYCD is more accessible, and if you love that and the rest of the album, it's safe to say you should enjoy Animals. It's a good litmus test really.

phillyfan26 said:
1. Dark Side of the Moon
2. Wish You Were Here
3. Animals

That's what I'm doing as of right now. After that, it's debatable.

I also recommend the Pulse live album. That was my introduction to the Floyd. It's got some great stuff on it.

Axver said:

Agreed. And that's why I think WYWH is the better album to hit than Animals - SOYCD is more accessible, and if you love that and the rest of the album, it's safe to say you should enjoy Animals. It's a good litmus test really.

Alright, I see where you're coming from then.

I still think The Wall and Meddle should come after Animals and WYWH. I like Piper and Division Bell, but he should here the other "classics" first, even if you hate The Wall.

Alisaura said:

*realises LMP wasn't talking about the nerdy card game also called Magic*

:reject:

My physics teacher gave out packets of those cards once, and I got THE WRATH OF GOD - DESTROYS EVERYTHING, NO REGENERATIONS or something. Apparently it's worth $15, but I can't find a place to sell it. Pretty messed up stuff in those cards, too.

And like that, I'm out.

Enjoy the Floyd, P-Funk, and see the rest of you guys later. :wave:

LemonMacPhisto said:

I still think The Wall and Meddle should come after Animals and WYWH. I like Piper and Division Bell, but he should here the other "classics" first, even if you hate The Wall.

My physics teacher gave out packets of those cards once, and I got THE WRATH OF GOD - DESTROYS EVERYTHING, NO REGENERATIONS or something. Apparently it's worth $15, but I can't find a place to sell it. Pretty messed up stuff in those cards, too.

I'm quite curious about The Wall. I'll take suggestions from Americans and Aussies alike, though.

Even though I don't trust Aussies.

One night I was hanging in my buddy's basement and happened upon some Magic cards. Turns out I have four or five buddies who actually know how to play Magic.

I was Pokemon only in my younger days.

LemonMacPhisto said:
And like that, I'm out.

Enjoy the Floyd, P-Funk, and see the rest of you guys later. :wave:

Have a good one.

I'll probably watch the Sixers tonight, mostly in support of my dad's friend, Sixers GM Eddie Stefanski.

LemonMacPhisto said:

Since when was Meddle a classic? :huh: He might as well listen to Obscured By Clouds or Ummagumma ...

As for The Wall, well I suppose it is one of the big four albums. It just seems to me there are other better Floyd albums to hit first.

Holy shit, half of the floodlights have just gone out in Kolkata with only 20 balls left to bowl in the game! Now the teams are standing around in dim lighting and who knows what the fuck's going to happen. :lmao:

Axver said:
Animals is awesome. Maybe I'll have to do another CD of music for you. :wink:

What Pink Floyd do you have/like?
I got sent a bunch of stuff from a Pink Floyd fan friend of mine in Canberra... I've got Momentary Lapse, obviously... Pulse (both discs), Division Bell and Wish You Were Here... and a couple of random other tracks that are probably from Dark Side of the Moon or something.

Off the top of my head, and keeping in mind I haven't given all those a thorough listening to, my favourite tracks stand out as Dogs of War, High Hopes... those songs everyone knows (Brick in the Wall, WYWH, Comfortably Numb, etc)... um. Don't think I've actually listened to Pulse at all... :scratch:

Giving Sorrow a listen now... :up:

I like what I've heard, generally speaking.

LemonMacPhisto said:
:lol: .... I'm sure someone on eBay would buy it... or try your local roleplaying club, if such a thing exists... :wink:

Seeya! :wave:

I've yet to eat anything since waking up three hours ago. The last thing I had to eat or drink was a beer. :lol:

After four tracks:

1. SOYCD (I-V)
2. Have a Cigar
3. Wish You Were Here
4. Welcome to the Machine.

Alisaura said:

I got sent a bunch of stuff from a Pink Floyd fan friend of mine in Canberra... I've got Momentary Lapse, obviously... Pulse (both discs), Division Bell and Wish You Were Here... and a couple of random other tracks that are probably from Dark Side of the Moon or something.

Off the top of my head, and keeping in mind I haven't given all those a thorough listening to, my favourite tracks stand out as Dogs of War, High Hopes... those songs everyone knows (Brick in the Wall, WYWH, Comfortably Numb, etc)... um. Don't think I've actually listened to Pulse at all... :scratch:

Giving Sorrow a listen now... :up:

I like what I've heard, generally speaking.

Ah, cool. Interesting/unexpected choices there - I'm surprised no DSOTM, given its huge classic status. Seems to be mostly the post-Waters era stuff. My favourite tracks from then are High Hopes, Sorrow, and Coming Back To Life. The first disc of Pulse really captured my imagination when I first heard it.

If you like the longer compositions, Animals is really an essential listen. Dogs is 17 minutes of sheer awesomeness. I could e-mail it to you ...

phillyfan26 said:
After four tracks:

1. SOYCD (I-V)
2. Have a Cigar
3. Wish You Were Here
4. Welcome to the Machine.

Yes! Somebody else who agrees with me about HAC > WYWH! It's one of my favourite Pink Floyd songs. Such awesome, cynical lyrics. Oh, by the way, which one's Pink?

I'm not sure how I feel about Wish You Were Here. It needs another listen.

But I definitely prefer Dark Side of the Moon to this. Not to say this isn't good, but I loved DSOTM, and I feel this is a little weaker.

phillyfan26 said:
I'm not sure how I feel about Wish You Were Here. It needs another listen.

But I definitely prefer Dark Side of the Moon to this. Not to say this isn't good, but I loved DSOTM, and I feel this is a little weaker.

See, I think DSOTM is a bit over-rated. I think it's the average PF album that sits between the great stuff and the mediocre stuff. Plus it has that horrid Great Unlistenable Gig In The Sky track, which I think is easily Pink Floyd's worst song.

I think Great Gig in the Sky was pretty good. Not one of that album's stronger tracks, but I don't really think the album had any weak points anyway.

Whereas Welcome to the Machine was the first "weak point" I've noticed in PF's work.

I just can't stand that lady's ear-piercing wailing. Can't listen to that track at all.

I'm on to Animals now.

Then after that, I'll probably listen to the first PF album someone sends me.

I wonder what you'd make of Piper. It seems to be a fairly divisive album. Personally, I think it's great.

Dogs is pretty good, but with 11 minutes to go I wonder how much of this they can do well.

phillyfan26 said:
Dogs is pretty good, but with 11 minutes to go I wonder how much of this they can do well.

The last two minutes are the best. I adore the outro.

I'm sending you Piper now.

The kind of wailing sound in the middle bugged me. Other than that, it's a pretty good track.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom