Cumbum Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
phillyfan26 said:
He sent me Piper, so that'll be what I go for next unless I receive something else before I download Piper tomorrow.

Piper is a good album, but it's totally unlike any of the classic Floyd you've already been listening to, and some people don't care for it. It's more psychedelic than anything else.

This is because the focus is around original member Syd Barrett instead.

phanan said:

I wouldn't rule out any of the top four teams.

phanan said:

Piper is a good album, but it's totally unlike any of the classic Floyd you've already been listening to, and some people don't care for it. It's more psychedelic than anything else.

This is because the focus is around original member Syd Barrett instead.

He speaketh the truth twice. I'd wait to listen to this one, though.

Apparently my Meddle suggestions are off?

LemonMacPhisto said:
Apparently my Meddle suggestions are off?

No, Meddle is a near-classic in my eyes. Seamus is a throwaway, and San Tropez isn't much but the other four tracks should be included whenever there is a discussion on the best of Floyd. Absolutely essential.

Reading these threads has encouraged to make a playlist where EVERY SINGLE SONG relates to the Smiths in some way for the next DI :wink:

It's kind of remarkable hearing these tracks with really no prior knowledge or hearing of them. All PF talk before this was a total wash due to my lack of knowledge. It's really easy to form my opinions without much of anyone else's involved.

phillyfan26 said:
It's kind of remarkable hearing these tracks with really no prior knowledge or hearing of them. All PF talk before this was a total wash due to my lack of knowledge. It's really easy to form my opinions without much of anyone else's involved.

And it will actually be quite refreshing to hear someone's thoughts on it who hasn't had any knowledge of them previously.

You won't be influenced by the tons and tons of words already written about them.

I honestly didn't get too much out of the title track of WYWH, to be honest. I mean, it's pretty good, but not nearly one of their best, IMO.

phanan said:
And it will actually be quite refreshing to hear someone's thoughts on it who hasn't had any knowledge of them previously.

You won't be influenced by the tons and tons of words already written about them.

I'll do my best. :wink:

phillyfan26 said:
I honestly didn't get too much out of the title track of WYWH, to be honest. I mean, it's pretty good, but not nearly one of their best, IMO.

Screwtape will be glad to hear that. :wink:

It's not your conventional song, despite its popularity. Waters had no intention of it being a song. The lyrics come from a poem he wrote. If my memory is correct, one day Gilmour read it, thought they would make great lyrics, and composed the music to it.

Quite the backwards way of creating a song, but it works. And hearing the song on the radio, and then playing along with it, was used to great effect...

My favorite track of each of the three:

DSOTM: Time (2nd: Us and Them)
WYWH: Shine On You Crazy Diamond I-V (2nd: VI-IX)
Animals: Pigs (Three Different Kinds) (2nd: Sheep/Dogs tied)

Irishteen said:
Reading these threads has encouraged to make a playlist where EVERY SINGLE SONG relates to the Smiths in some way for the next DI :wink:

I would love you forever. We should make a conscious effort to make certain posters explode.

phanan said:

No, Meddle is a near-classic in my eyes. Seamus is a throwaway, and San Tropez isn't much but the other four tracks should be included whenever there is a discussion on the best of Floyd. Absolutely essential.

I forgot about Seamus for whatever reason, but still enjoy San Tropez. Yeah, the other four are fucking astounding.

Pigs is my least favorite of the Big 3 from Animals. Sheep, however, is pure bliss.

Gibby linked me vid of Sheep against the beginning of Saving Private Ryan a while back. It was awesome.

Irishteen said:

DI5 is going to be completely fucked up.

:wave: Hey Axver

The completely non-ironic :wink: cover of my DI5 list:

pictureys9.jpg

Paragraph coming soon.

It just hit me: Why isn't Axver's favorite Bowie song not I'm Afraid of Americans? Think about it: It's a metal-sounding song. Plus, look at the title.

phillyfan26 said:
It just hit me: Why isn't Axver's favorite Bowie song not I'm Afraid of Americans? Think about it: It's a metal-sounding song. Plus, look at the title.

:lol: All I know about that song is Bono snippeted it once in Discotheque.

LemonMelon said:

This is Temperance is a fake album title, not the actual playlist title.

Ooh, right. Sorry, I just dragged myself out of bed and didn't wake up.

I suppose I shouldn't complain, as Ali's probably even more stupidly tired than I am.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom