Cumbum Superthread - Page 22 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 04-20-2008, 01:41 PM   #316
The Male

Local Time: 01:29 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Axver

I'd be interested in how everyone puts their tracklists together. It'd be an interesting insight to the creative process. For me:

DI I: "Here's some songs I like with a semblance of flow whee!"
DI II: I quite consciously wanted to subvert and disprove stereotypes about some kinds of music and to make an accessible, welcoming compilation, so I went through and chose songs that I felt fit the bill.
DI III: This started as a simple exercise in giving some much-needed exposure to overlooked Kiwi music. I went through and picked some of the best songs I could from the country. It was amazing how, as I proceeded, it effortlessly developed into a concept.
DI IV: I'm not even entirely sure how this came together. I was in a dark place at the time. I started with the final three tracks and fleshed out things from there.
Tentative DI V: Throwing together the most beautiful songs I have and seeing what happens.
DI3 - "Huhuhuhuh...I like this song. And this one too."

DI4 - I just wanted to make a summery playlist, so I dug up one song after another that fit the bill, and the storyline just showed up by accident.

DI5 - Just the idea for a fake playlist is the best thing ever, so here we are.

Now.
Old 04-20-2008, 01:42 PM   #317
The Male

Quote:
Ladies and gentlemen, it is the proliferation of fans with attitudes like this that mean we will never get anything truly artistic from U2 ever again: http://forum.interference.com/showth...02#post5108602
I honestly thought you were linking us to PLEBA.

Now.
Old 04-20-2008, 01:43 PM   #318
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 08:29 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by LemonMelon
DI4 - I just wanted to make a summery playlist, so I dug up one song after another that fit the bill, and the storyline just showed up by accident.
Let me say something here, LM. After listening to your tracklist, I thought it was the middle of fucking January again (er ... July for you). I was wondering why I wasn't dying of heat exhaustion, why it wasn't my birthday tomorrow, and why I was in uni. I mean, it was summer all around me!... oh, wait, it's just autumn, never mind.

In other words, nice job there.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 04-20-2008, 01:45 PM   #319
Vocal parasite

Quote:

I honestly thought you were linking us to PLEBA.
No, that would require going there to get the link.

Honestly, some of the bashing of Alex Descends and Passengers and the like around these parts is rather depressing. Especially because you know that's the opinions U2 are listening to now.

I believe they have it in them to create another incredibly captivating and artistic album. They just choose not to.

"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 04-20-2008, 01:45 PM   #320
The Male

Quote:

Let me say something here, LM. After listening to your tracklist, I thought it was the middle of fucking January again (er ... July for you). I was wondering why I wasn't dying of heat exhaustion, why it wasn't my birthday tomorrow, and why I was in uni. I mean, it was summer all around me!... oh, wait, it's just autumn, never mind.

In other words, nice job there.
Thanks. It's particularly noticeable in the first 8 tracks or so. It's turns to autumn in the latter tracks.

Now.
Old 04-20-2008, 01:47 PM   #321
Vocal parasite

Missed your edit.

Quote:
DI5 - Just the idea for a fake playlist is the best thing ever, so here we are.
I swear to all the non-existent Gods in human history, I really hope you go through with this and submit it.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 04-20-2008, 01:48 PM   #322
The Male

Quote:

No, that would require going there to get the link.

Honestly, some of the bashing of Alex Descends and Passengers and the like around these parts is rather depressing. Especially because you know that's the opinions U2 are listening to now.

I believe they have it in them to create another incredibly captivating and artistic album. They just choose not to.
Bottoms being eliminated was a shame to me. That's a truly great remix, but no one has a clue what the hell it is on first glance. Lady With The Spinning Head will win that category without breaking a sweat.

Now.
Old 04-20-2008, 01:48 PM   #323
Vocal parasite

Quote:

Thanks. It's particularly noticeable in the first 8 tracks or so. It's turns to autumn in the latter tracks.
Yeah, at about track ten, I was thinking it'd be really funny if you suddenly threw some death metal or something in there, just to fuck with people as it was so richly summery.

I liked how you ended it.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 04-20-2008, 01:49 PM   #324
The Male

Quote:
Missed your edit.

I swear to all the non-existent Gods in human history, I really hope you go through with this and submit it.
Don't you worry about that. I love recording, and the feedback for it has been great so far. No way I turn it down.

Now Phanan, yeah, he may turn it down. Let's hope for the best on that front.

Now.
Old 04-20-2008, 01:50 PM   #325
Vocal parasite

Quote:

Bottoms being eliminated was a shame to me. That's a truly great remix, but no one has a clue what the hell it is on first glance. Lady With The Spinning Head will win that category without breaking a sweat.
Agreed. I'm surprised it went out so fast. It's probably U2's catchiest instrumental. Great fun.

I hope LWTSH doesn't win. I mean, I like LWTSH a whole lot, but that's just such a boring and predictable result. Onya, Alex Descends. Go the underdog!

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 04-20-2008, 01:53 PM   #326
Vocal parasite

Quote:

Don't you worry about that. I love recording, and the feedback for it has been great so far. No way I turn it down.

Now Phanan, yeah, he may turn it down. Let's hope for the best on that front.
Hopefully my position as the person who ran the first three tournaments holds some weight. Even if I thought this were the stupidest idea ever, if this had been submitted in the first three tournaments, I would have felt obligated to permit it as all the music would have been made officially available (I believe you said you're doing MySpace pages? That's always been considered good enough; Pure Reason Revolution's MySpace-only single, Victorious Cupid, has been used in the past).

I genuinely enjoyed those first two tracks and I'm looking forward to hearing more of them.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 04-20-2008, 01:54 PM   #327
Vocal parasite

OK, folks, I must sleep. It's far too late and my sleeping schedule is fucked. Goodnight.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 04-20-2008, 01:54 PM   #328
The Male

Quote:

Yeah, at about track ten, I was thinking it'd be really funny if you suddenly threw some death metal or something in there, just to fuck with people as it was so richly summery.

I liked how you ended it.
No wonder the fake list is filled with epic prog-metal. I just got so very bored listening to my own list over and over.

I'm writing a short story about a mouse who saves a fictional kingdom from the evil Fire Witch. That gives you an idea of what I'm going for lyrically.

Now.
Old 04-20-2008, 01:58 PM   #329
The Male

Quote:

Hopefully my position as the person who ran the first three tournaments holds some weight. Even if I thought this were the stupidest idea ever, if this had been submitted in the first three tournaments, I would have felt obligated to permit it as all the music would have been made officially available (I believe you said you're doing MySpace pages? That's always been considered good enough; Pure Reason Revolution's MySpace-only single, Victorious Cupid, has been used in the past).

I genuinely enjoyed those first two tracks and I'm looking forward to hearing more of them.
The Pure Reason Revolution track was myspace-only? That's definitely good news for me. I'm surprised that it took anyone this long to do the fake list thing.

Oh, and night Ax.

Now.
Old 04-20-2008, 02:02 PM   #330
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 04:29 AM
Night, Ax.

Just returned from yardwork.

Tags
superthread