Cumbum Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
LemonMelon said:
Damn, why in the hell would someone rip their vinyl copy of an album and post in on the internet in MP3 form? That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard. It not only sounds worse than a disc would, but it removes the innate warmth of vinyl.

WTF? Unless the album is ONLY available on vinyl, that's really dumb.

Axver said:

I would like to surprise some people. I want it to be something where people say "this isn't what I expected from Axver". Part of it is based on the beautiful songs that evoke an emotional response from me, so it will stick to some of my comfort zones, but I want to head out into other areas too.

I am really enjoying this tracklist. Essay-writing has motivated it actually, as I write best to atmospheric music, Pure Reason Revolution in particular.

Now, there is a bit where I send the tracklist into darker territory, but it's only a few songs and it's to illustrate the darkly beautiful aspect.

I've found thematically it's developed into another tracklist about where I come from, like Part I of my DI III entry. I guess an idealised memory of what it was like in my childhood. It's cliche but it gives it meaning. It's not hard to illustrate New Zealand with sweeping soundscape music either.

Sounds lovely. :)

Just remember to place a track from Metal Machine Music at the very end to compensation for all of the beauty. :wink:

Axver said:
Space Moon proved that.

Space Moon was Desert Island with all (literally) seriousness taken away. It served a totally different purpose, and really isn't comparable.

G'day Pee Fan. :wave:

Last tracks of Piper sending now. I wonder if you'll be one of those people who enjoys it, or who wants to cast it out of the Floyd discography.

Axver said:

WTF? Unless the album is ONLY available on vinyl, that's really dumb.

It is. I downloaded Led Zeppelin III just now, and I can hear crackling. Plus, one of the tracks is a live version they threw in. :eyebrow: :tsk: Terrible effort on their part, and it wasted my bandwith.

LemonMelon said:

Sounds lovely. :)

Just remember to place a track from Metal Machine Music at the very end to compensation for all of the beauty. :wink:

:lol:

You have no idea how tempted I am to end it with (A Shimmering Radiance) Diadem Of 12 Stars by Wolves In The Throne Room. It's this 20:22 long black metal epic that I think is the most intensely, bleakly beautiful song I have ever heard in my life.

I would award prizes based on who could listen to the most of it before giving up. I expect nobody would reach the halfway mark.

Axver said:
Well, here's how it all started. I was listening to Alcest's Tir Nan Og a few days ago on a really beautiful evening. Now, I think Tir Nan Og is the most beautiful album closer I've ever heard, and I thought it'd be an amazing way to end a tracklist. So I thought I'd try to make a tracklist of the most beautiful music I know, and in Desert Island style.

I'm a bit tired of how unpopular my actual songs are. I'd like people to enjoy the songs as well as the overall atmosphere and stuff. So there's that too. Though I can hear criticisms of this already in my head too. I keep reminding myself I'm making this list for me.

So I think with something focusing on beautiful music, the kind of stuff that soars and has atmosphere, it's going to naturally gravitate to some kinds of post-rock. I mean, EITS are there. Caspian, Yndi Halda, Eluvium, and This Will Destroy You too.

You guys should have heard how I came up with my DI list and concept. I explained it to YLB. My methods are, to say the least, quite unorthodox.

I did it quite traditionally for my symphonic, just looking for songs that matched up, creating playlists on iTunes and seeing what worked.

Totally different for DI.

LemonMelon said:

It is. I downloaded Led Zeppelin III just now, and I can hear crackling. Plus, one of the tracks is a live version they threw in. :eyebrow: :tsk: Terrible effort on their part, and it wasted my bandwith.

Wow, what a pointless waste of time.

Axver said:

:lol:

You have no idea how tempted I am to end it with (A Shimmering Radiance) Diadem Of 12 Stars by Wolves In The Throne Room. It's this 20:22 long black metal epic that I think is the most intensely, bleakly beautiful song I have ever heard in my life.

I would award prizes based on who could listen to the most of it before giving up. I expect nobody would reach the halfway mark.

I'd just turn the volume down nice and low. :wink: If I make it all 20 minutes, I want a die-cast Thomas The Tank Engine model. :tsk:

phillyfan26 said:

Space Moon was Desert Island with all (literally) seriousness taken away. It served a totally different purpose, and really isn't comparable.

Now, I realise Space Moon became a different beast later on, but the lasting impression in my head is its start, when a couple of whiny bitches decided that if a game had rules - oh, the horror! - and those rules didn't suit them, then it was "too serious" and "lolz Intarwebz r serius biznez".

LemonMelon said:

I'd just turn the volume down nice and low. :wink: If I make it all 20 minutes, I want a die-cast Thomas The Tank Engine model. :tsk:

I would specify that you have to have the volume up at a decent volume. :evil:

If I'm buying die cast Thomas models, they're all for me. :hoard: :wink:

Axver said:

I would specify that you have to have the volume up at a decent volume. :evil:

If I'm buying die cast Thomas models, they're all for me. :hoard: :wink:

OK, OK, if I turn it up loud enough that it spontaneously destroys all peoples with a pure heart in the tri-state area, do I get my model?

phillyfan26 said:

You guys should have heard how I came up with my DI list and concept. I explained it to YLB. My methods are, to say the least, quite unorthodox.

I did it quite traditionally for my symphonic, just looking for songs that matched up, creating playlists on iTunes and seeing what worked.

Totally different for DI.

I'd be interested in how everyone puts their tracklists together. It'd be an interesting insight to the creative process. For me:

DI I: "Here's some songs I like with a semblance of flow whee!"
DI II: I quite consciously wanted to subvert and disprove stereotypes about some kinds of music and to make an accessible, welcoming compilation, so I went through and chose songs that I felt fit the bill.
DI III: This started as a simple exercise in giving some much-needed exposure to overlooked Kiwi music. I went through and picked some of the best songs I could from the country. It was amazing how, as I proceeded, it effortlessly developed into a concept.
DI IV: I'm not even entirely sure how this came together. I was in a dark place at the time. I started with the final three tracks and fleshed out things from there.
Tentative DI V: Throwing together the most beautiful songs I have and seeing what happens.

LemonMelon said:

OK, OK, if I turn it up loud enough that it spontaneously destroys all peoples with a pure heart in the tri-state area, do I get my model?

:lol: Why yes, yes you do.

Axver said:

I'd be interested in how everyone puts their tracklists together. It'd be an interesting insight to the creative process. For me:

DI I: "Here's some songs I like with a semblance of flow whee!"
DI II: I quite consciously wanted to subvert and disprove stereotypes about some kinds of music and to make an accessible, welcoming compilation, so I went through and chose songs that I felt fit the bill.
DI III: This started as a simple exercise in giving some much-needed exposure to overlooked Kiwi music. I went through and picked some of the best songs I could from the country. It was amazing how, as I proceeded, it effortlessly developed into a concept.
DI IV: I'm not even entirely sure how this came together. I was in a dark place at the time. I started with the final three tracks and fleshed out things from there.
Tentative DI V: Throwing together the most beautiful songs I have and seeing what happens.

DI3 - "Huhuhuhuh...I like this song. And this one too."

DI4 - I just wanted to make a summery playlist, so I dug up one song after another that fit the bill, and the storyline just showed up by accident.

DI5 - Just the idea for a fake playlist is the best thing ever, so here we are.

Last edited:
LemonMelon said:
DI4 - I just wanted to make a summery playlist, so I dug up one song after another that fit the bill, and the storyline just showed up by accident.

Let me say something here, LM. After listening to your tracklist, I thought it was the middle of fucking January again (er ... July for you). I was wondering why I wasn't dying of heat exhaustion, why it wasn't my birthday tomorrow, and why I was in uni. I mean, it was summer all around me!... oh, wait, it's just autumn, never mind.

In other words, nice job there.

LemonMelon said:

I honestly thought you were linking us to PLEBA.

:lol: No, that would require going there to get the link. :wink:

Honestly, some of the bashing of Alex Descends and Passengers and the like around these parts is rather depressing. Especially because you know that's the opinions U2 are listening to now.

I believe they have it in them to create another incredibly captivating and artistic album. They just choose not to.

Axver said:

Let me say something here, LM. After listening to your tracklist, I thought it was the middle of fucking January again (er ... July for you). I was wondering why I wasn't dying of heat exhaustion, why it wasn't my birthday tomorrow, and why I was in uni. I mean, it was summer all around me!... oh, wait, it's just autumn, never mind.

In other words, nice job there.

Thanks. It's particularly noticeable in the first 8 tracks or so. It's turns to autumn in the latter tracks.

Missed your edit.

LemonMelon said:
DI5 - Just the idea for a fake playlist is the best thing ever, so here we are.

I swear to all the non-existent Gods in human history, I really hope you go through with this and submit it.

Axver said:

:lol: No, that would require going there to get the link. :wink:

Honestly, some of the bashing of Alex Descends and Passengers and the like around these parts is rather depressing. Especially because you know that's the opinions U2 are listening to now.

I believe they have it in them to create another incredibly captivating and artistic album. They just choose not to.

Bottoms being eliminated was a shame to me. That's a truly great remix, but no one has a clue what the hell it is on first glance. Lady With The Spinning Head will win that category without breaking a sweat.

LemonMelon said:

Thanks. It's particularly noticeable in the first 8 tracks or so. It's turns to autumn in the latter tracks.

Yeah, at about track ten, I was thinking it'd be really funny if you suddenly threw some death metal or something in there, just to fuck with people as it was so richly summery.

I liked how you ended it.

Axver said:
Missed your edit.

I swear to all the non-existent Gods in human history, I really hope you go through with this and submit it.

Don't you worry about that. I love recording, and the feedback for it has been great so far. No way I turn it down.

Now Phanan, yeah, he may turn it down. Let's hope for the best on that front.

LemonMelon said:

Bottoms being eliminated was a shame to me. That's a truly great remix, but no one has a clue what the hell it is on first glance. Lady With The Spinning Head will win that category without breaking a sweat.

Agreed. I'm surprised it went out so fast. It's probably U2's catchiest instrumental. Great fun.

I hope LWTSH doesn't win. I mean, I like LWTSH a whole lot, but that's just such a boring and predictable result. Onya, Alex Descends. Go the underdog!

LemonMelon said:

Don't you worry about that. I love recording, and the feedback for it has been great so far. No way I turn it down.

Now Phanan, yeah, he may turn it down. Let's hope for the best on that front.

Hopefully my position as the person who ran the first three tournaments holds some weight. Even if I thought this were the stupidest idea ever, if this had been submitted in the first three tournaments, I would have felt obligated to permit it as all the music would have been made officially available (I believe you said you're doing MySpace pages? That's always been considered good enough; Pure Reason Revolution's MySpace-only single, Victorious Cupid, has been used in the past).

I genuinely enjoyed those first two tracks and I'm looking forward to hearing more of them.

OK, folks, I must sleep. It's far too late and my sleeping schedule is fucked. Goodnight. :wave:

Axver said:

Yeah, at about track ten, I was thinking it'd be really funny if you suddenly threw some death metal or something in there, just to fuck with people as it was so richly summery.

I liked how you ended it.

No wonder the fake list is filled with epic prog-metal. I just got so very bored listening to my own list over and over. :wink:

I'm writing a short story about a mouse who saves a fictional kingdom from the evil Fire Witch. That gives you an idea of what I'm going for lyrically.

Axver said:

Hopefully my position as the person who ran the first three tournaments holds some weight. Even if I thought this were the stupidest idea ever, if this had been submitted in the first three tournaments, I would have felt obligated to permit it as all the music would have been made officially available (I believe you said you're doing MySpace pages? That's always been considered good enough; Pure Reason Revolution's MySpace-only single, Victorious Cupid, has been used in the past).

I genuinely enjoyed those first two tracks and I'm looking forward to hearing more of them.

The Pure Reason Revolution track was myspace-only? That's definitely good news for me. :hyper: I'm surprised that it took anyone this long to do the fake list thing.

Oh, and night Ax. :wave:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom