CuJo vs. Brodeur

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kobayashi

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
CuJo was defeated 5-2 by a very strong Swedish team. I watch CuJo's every game, I'm a huge Leafs fan and I'm a big fan of the goalie himself-I think he's great-but Friday night was not his night. He missed 1 maybe 2 goals that he should have had, the other 3 or 4 I cannot fault him with. Pat Quinn, the Canadian and Maple Leaf coach also knows CuJo and thus he knows how great he can be after a less than good outing.
But Quinn is a professional, as is CuJo and everyone else involved, and has to do what is best for the team so he has to take a long hard look at Brodeur. The Devils goaltender looked ordinary last night in a victory over the lowly Germans(sorry for any German boosters out there, the performance was impressive but Canada should be playing light years better than we are given the sheer number of NHL superstars on the squad). I thought Brodeur should have had both of the goals last night.

It's an interesting choice for Quinn and his staff. I think they should play CuJo-just for the fact that he is such a competitor and knows he was nowhere near what he can be on Friday night. I think they will play Brodeur(since there weren't that many solid opportunities against him, give him another try which also makes sense)

Either way the forwards need to start skating to get back into the zone and help out-after Sweden we thought it was the torpedoe that got us. Well the Torpedo, and especially Sundin, was very cool but after Germany I'm starting to wonder if that group of forwards wants it bad enough.

------------------
don't.

Originally posted by IvanClaytonJnr:
Brodeur is cool but
Cujo is BIG and very strong .. i 'm fan of Boston b's ,, you know what i mean .

CuJo is good but i don't know how he relates to the B's.

------------------
don't.

read the stats of current season , TOR Vs Bruins , It's all you need to understand , hardest team for Bruins , the other one is Colorado Avalanche .

well quinn and gretzky threw us a curveball-->CuJo in the stands, Brodeur in net and Belfour on the bench. mistake in my mind but i guess they could try every combination possible before it's for 'real'

------------------
don't.

Today's Canada vs. Czech Republic game will be interesting, though, because who really wants to win? The loser gets Finland, winner gets Russia. Nothing against the Finns, Selanne is great, but I think everyone would rather play them. However, I would think it's more important for Canada to get their game to gel -- it should a big enough incentive, despite playing the stronger team if they win. Still, though, tonight's game won't be as exciting as it could have been.

pretty weak goal from havlat on brodeur...great play by havlat but marty shoulda had it.
lemeuix and kariya look awesome together(mario's thinking of ways to get kariya in pittsburgh this summer i bet)

------------------
don't.

MirrorballGirl is right.

With Finland upsetting Russia today that changes things a little bit. Even with today's result I think you'd be hard pressed to find many people who wouldn't rather play the Finns than the Russian squad, but you only get that if you lose. And while these games may not technically mean anything, no one wants to lose. Especially Canada...I suppose you can say they'll be angry and fired up if they go 0-3 in pool play, but that could just as easily indicate a team that is completely at odds...and lights out in medal play.

Interesting, to be sure.

So is the goaltending situation. Joseph has a propencity to let in some easy shots from time to time, but few have the ability that he does to carry a team on his back when he gets hot. Frankly, Belfour is a similar goalie, although to a lesser degree on both counts.

Over the last few years Brodeur has probably been the most consistent (this season notwithstanding), but all things being equal I believe CuJo's "A Game" is superior to Brodeur's...it's just a matter of him having it.

Both are solid goalies and I'd argue that if Canada goes down without a medal it's far too easy to blame whomever ends up as the goalie, but it is an intriguing dilemma.

Before play started I would have been happy to swap Richter for any one of Canada's goalies...now I'm not so sure. It will also be interested to see who Brooks goes with for the U.S. when medal play starts. Dunham gets the shutout on the Finns, Richter played very well against Russia, and but for an early goal Barrasso got it done today. I imagine Richter will get the call, but all have looked strong.

Originally posted by MSU2mike:
Especially Canada...I suppose you can say they'll be angry and fired up if they go 0-3 in pool play

canada won yesterday against germany. if they beat the czech team they are 2 and 1, lose and they are 1 and 2.

Originally posted by kobayashi:
canada won yesterday against germany. if they beat the czech team they are 2 and 1, lose and they are 1 and 2.

Of course you're right, and of course I knew that...it was such a lackluster performance that it seemed like a loss. And my Canadian friends certainly treated it as such.

Originally posted by MSU2mike:
Of course you're right, and of course I knew that...it was such a lackluster performance that it seemed like a loss. And my Canadian friends certainly treated it as such.

it felt like one for me as well
smile.gif

------------------
don't.

Eh, Wanderer???
Eh???

Canada doesn't have a "hot" goaltender right now.....

Ah, I beg to differ Monsieur...Look at Theodore - he's an up and coming Patrick Roy - granted he's not in the Olympics but he's still a great goaltender with heaps of potential!

I meant in this tournament -- the Olympics that is... n'est pas, mademoiselle?

there is no disputing that Canada is the premier country in the world for hockey, but Canada's unmatched depth at every position doesn't really show up in something like this, they still have the best players at the Olympics, but it's not all that great an advantage contrary to what many Canadians seem to think (look at the rosters of the USA, Sweden, Czech Republic, Russia and even Finland)

Originally posted by The Wanderer:
I meant in this tournament -- the Olympics that is... n'est pas, mademoiselle?

there is no disputing that Canada is the premier country in the world for hockey, but Canada's unmatched depth at every position doesn't really show up in something like this, they still have the best players at the Olympics, but it's not all that great an advantage contrary to what many Canadians seem to think (look at the rosters of the USA, Sweden, Czech Republic, Russia and even Finland)

This is pretty accurate. Canada's dominance in terms of hockey talent shows up much more if you field and second complete team of players. And the more teams you field, the more the gap grows. But in terms of each country's first team, the gap is pretty small.

Now...in the bobsled events we have, for example, USA 1 and USA 2...Canada should lobby to have Canada 2 in the hockey tournament. They'd certainly outlast Belarus and Germany. :)

haha!! yes indeed MSU2mike, that's a perfect way of putting it, that's exactly what I was getting at! Canada has enough talent for about 5 or 6 teams and all of them would be better than teams like Belarus and Germany (and the others eliminated from the preliminary, except maybe Slovakia, who was unable to use their NHL players to qualify)

Originally posted by IvanClaytonJnr:
read the stats of current season , TOR Vs Bruins , It's all you need to understand , hardest team for Bruins , the other one is Colorado Avalanche .

yes, ok, the leafs and bruins have played some very good games this year but how does this relate to CuJo playing in the Olympics?

speaking of which not to many Bruins made it on to their respective teams did they?(not that that is bad, it may leave their best players fresher in may and june.

------------------
don't.

well I am a huge Devils fan, I love Brodeur, but he is having a very mediocre season -- maybe the weakest season of his 9-year career (he never gets rest and his team has gone to the Cup Finals each of the previous two years, both years he played nearly 100 games, ie, too much)

but CuJo wasn't impressive against Sweden and from what I've heard, and has struggled somewhat in big games during his NHL career

I would probably go with CuJo over Brodeur at this point, but this is a huge problem for Canada because they dont have a "hot" goaltender right now, thus will probably fail to win the Gold and maybe a medal altogether (Sweden, Russia, Czech Republic and USA all have had great goaltending so far)

Originally posted by The Wanderer:
but this is a huge problem for Canada because they dont have a "hot" goaltender right now, thus will probably fail to win the Gold and maybe a medal altogether (Sweden, Russia, Czech Republic and USA all have had great goaltending so far)

that's a very good point and one that we here in canada have not yet considered. i think we just expected to be in a gold medal game and leave it up to that. but there are at least 6 VERY solid hockey clubs in this tournament.
i still believe canada is gonna pull it out-starting tonight with an impressive game against czech, and i think CuJo is the man that can do it. but they are going nowhere if they continue on the way they are...

------------------
don't.

well also I think Canada really hasn't felt any sense of urgency yet, but when they get into the elimination round, will they be able to just turn it on? I know it didn't work for the USA in '98, and they have entered this with a much better attitude, more focused, more excited and determined to play well from the onset, they are getting better each time out... Canada needs to play well tonight, if they can't play well against the Czech Republic tonight, how can they expect to turn around and play well against a team like Russia (a probable opponent) in the elimination round?

The Wanderer said:
I would probably go with CuJo over Brodeur at this point, but this is a huge problem for Canada because they dont have a "hot" goaltender right now, thus will probably fail to win the Gold and maybe a medal altogether (Sweden, Russia, Czech Republic and USA all have had great goaltending so far)

Interesting... I totally agree with you Wanderer... oh how the past comes back to haunt thee...

mwhahahahaha... mwhahahahaha...

Maybe this thread deserves a revisit eh compadre?

Headache in a Suitcase said:
i'm gonna go with Cujo just because his interference posts are much better than brodeur's... in fact, i don't think i ever see martin posting in here... that bastard

Right on brother!:up:

what did you prove here? I said before that in the thread that Brodeur was having an off year (probably the worst of his 10 year career), so yes, Curtis Joseph would have been my first choice at the Olympics last year, this year I wouldn't hesitate to take Brodeur over CuJo in that situation...

Brodeur ended up playing well, btw, he's outplayed CuJo every time the two have met in the playoffs

I like CuJo, I think he's an excellent goaltender, but he's still got something to prove in the postseason and Olympics too, fot that matter

The Wanderer said:
Brodeur ended up playing well, btw, he's outplayed CuJo every time the two have met in the playoffs

I like CuJo, I think he's an excellent goaltender, but he's still got something to prove in the postseason and Olympics too, fot that matter

I'm just giving you a hard time... came across an old thread, and I thought it was funny how people's opinions changed once Curtis left Toronto. There is no doubt that Brodeur has played against Joseph, but in their meetings I never really thought goaltending was the issue. In fact I think that cujo outplayed Brodeur in the majority of the games they played in the two NJ/TO series... the difference usually boiled down to self-destruction by the entire team... or a really bad suspension... I think I'll take a cue from another interference member to save my ass...

:hug: Brodeur :hug:

PS- haven't you learned yet that I usually have no point, and the only thing I'm trying to prove is that very fact...:wink:

The Wanderer said:
what does Miss Cleo say about this year's playoffs?

:yes: you are the man Wanderer...

Actually she sees the playoffs as being quite cloudy, as last year "she" made bold predictions about the teams who would advance... needless to say her teams didn't win, and a certain "hurricane" blocked her vision. So, this year she will not participate... she will be a fence sitter, as the court will not allow her to use her "psychic" powers for fraudulent use any longer...

She speaks for both of us... I don't like to claim who will win... I will predict that the playoffs will be the best ever though.

666, my lucky number... it seems every time I do a hockey pool I curse the players that I choose... are you doing a pool? I might be tempted to square off and tango with the Devil if you are...

Back
Top Bottom