CuJo vs. Brodeur - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 02-18-2002, 01:43 PM   #1
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 10:49 AM
CuJo vs. Brodeur

CuJo was defeated 5-2 by a very strong Swedish team. I watch CuJo's every game, I'm a huge Leafs fan and I'm a big fan of the goalie himself-I think he's great-but Friday night was not his night. He missed 1 maybe 2 goals that he should have had, the other 3 or 4 I cannot fault him with. Pat Quinn, the Canadian and Maple Leaf coach also knows CuJo and thus he knows how great he can be after a less than good outing.
But Quinn is a professional, as is CuJo and everyone else involved, and has to do what is best for the team so he has to take a long hard look at Brodeur. The Devils goaltender looked ordinary last night in a victory over the lowly Germans(sorry for any German boosters out there, the performance was impressive but Canada should be playing light years better than we are given the sheer number of NHL superstars on the squad). I thought Brodeur should have had both of the goals last night.

It's an interesting choice for Quinn and his staff. I think they should play CuJo-just for the fact that he is such a competitor and knows he was nowhere near what he can be on Friday night. I think they will play Brodeur(since there weren't that many solid opportunities against him, give him another try which also makes sense)

Either way the forwards need to start skating to get back into the zone and help out-after Sweden we thought it was the torpedoe that got us. Well the Torpedo, and especially Sundin, was very cool but after Germany I'm starting to wonder if that group of forwards wants it bad enough.

------------------
don't.

Old 02-18-2002, 02:08 PM   #2
Banned

Local Time: 02:49 PM
Brodeur is cool but
Cujo is BIG and very strong .. i 'm fan of Boston b's ,, you know what i mean .

Old 02-18-2002, 02:15 PM   #3
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by IvanClaytonJnr:
Brodeur is cool but
Cujo is BIG and very strong .. i 'm fan of Boston b's ,, you know what i mean .
CuJo is good but i don't know how he relates to the B's.

------------------
don't.
Old 02-18-2002, 02:48 PM   #4
Banned

read the stats of current season , TOR Vs Bruins , It's all you need to understand , hardest team for Bruins , the other one is Colorado Avalanche .
Old 02-18-2002, 05:15 PM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

well quinn and gretzky threw us a curveball-->CuJo in the stands, Brodeur in net and Belfour on the bench. mistake in my mind but i guess they could try every combination possible before it's for 'real'

------------------
don't.
Old 02-18-2002, 05:43 PM   #6
Refugee

Local Time: 09:49 AM
Today's Canada vs. Czech Republic game will be interesting, though, because who really wants to win? The loser gets Finland, winner gets Russia. Nothing against the Finns, Selanne is great, but I think everyone would rather play them. However, I would think it's more important for Canada to get their game to gel -- it should a big enough incentive, despite playing the stronger team if they win. Still, though, tonight's game won't be as exciting as it could have been.
Old 02-18-2002, 06:39 PM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

pretty weak goal from havlat on brodeur...great play by havlat but marty shoulda had it.
lemeuix and kariya look awesome together(mario's thinking of ways to get kariya in pittsburgh this summer i bet)

------------------
don't.
Old 02-18-2002, 07:31 PM   #8
Acrobat

MirrorballGirl is right.

With Finland upsetting Russia today that changes things a little bit. Even with today's result I think you'd be hard pressed to find many people who wouldn't rather play the Finns than the Russian squad, but you only get that if you lose. And while these games may not technically mean anything, no one wants to lose. Especially Canada...I suppose you can say they'll be angry and fired up if they go 0-3 in pool play, but that could just as easily indicate a team that is completely at odds...and lights out in medal play.

Interesting, to be sure.

So is the goaltending situation. Joseph has a propencity to let in some easy shots from time to time, but few have the ability that he does to carry a team on his back when he gets hot. Frankly, Belfour is a similar goalie, although to a lesser degree on both counts.

Over the last few years Brodeur has probably been the most consistent (this season notwithstanding), but all things being equal I believe CuJo's "A Game" is superior to Brodeur's...it's just a matter of him having it.

Both are solid goalies and I'd argue that if Canada goes down without a medal it's far too easy to blame whomever ends up as the goalie, but it is an intriguing dilemma.

Before play started I would have been happy to swap Richter for any one of Canada's goalies...now I'm not so sure. It will also be interested to see who Brooks goes with for the U.S. when medal play starts. Dunham gets the shutout on the Finns, Richter played very well against Russia, and but for an early goal Barrasso got it done today. I imagine Richter will get the call, but all have looked strong.
Old 02-18-2002, 07:36 PM   #9
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by MSU2mike:
Especially Canada...I suppose you can say they'll be angry and fired up if they go 0-3 in pool play
canada won yesterday against germany. if they beat the czech team they are 2 and 1, lose and they are 1 and 2.
Old 02-18-2002, 07:38 PM   #10
Acrobat

Quote:
Originally posted by kobayashi:
canada won yesterday against germany. if they beat the czech team they are 2 and 1, lose and they are 1 and 2.
Of course you're right, and of course I knew that...it was such a lackluster performance that it seemed like a loss. And my Canadian friends certainly treated it as such.
Old 02-18-2002, 08:40 PM   #11
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by MSU2mike:
Of course you're right, and of course I knew that...it was such a lackluster performance that it seemed like a loss. And my Canadian friends certainly treated it as such.
it felt like one for me as well

------------------
don't.
Old 02-18-2002, 11:15 PM   #12
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Eh, Wanderer???
Eh???

Canada doesn't have a "hot" goaltender right now.....

Ah, I beg to differ Monsieur...Look at Theodore - he's an up and coming Patrick Roy - granted he's not in the Olympics but he's still a great goaltender with heaps of potential!
Old 02-18-2002, 11:25 PM   #13
Kid A

I meant in this tournament -- the Olympics that is... n'est pas, mademoiselle?

there is no disputing that Canada is the premier country in the world for hockey, but Canada's unmatched depth at every position doesn't really show up in something like this, they still have the best players at the Olympics, but it's not all that great an advantage contrary to what many Canadians seem to think (look at the rosters of the USA, Sweden, Czech Republic, Russia and even Finland)
Old 02-18-2002, 11:32 PM   #14
Acrobat

Quote:
Originally posted by The Wanderer:
I meant in this tournament -- the Olympics that is... n'est pas, mademoiselle?

there is no disputing that Canada is the premier country in the world for hockey, but Canada's unmatched depth at every position doesn't really show up in something like this, they still have the best players at the Olympics, but it's not all that great an advantage contrary to what many Canadians seem to think (look at the rosters of the USA, Sweden, Czech Republic, Russia and even Finland)
This is pretty accurate. Canada's dominance in terms of hockey talent shows up much more if you field and second complete team of players. And the more teams you field, the more the gap grows. But in terms of each country's first team, the gap is pretty small.

Now...in the bobsled events we have, for example, USA 1 and USA 2...Canada should lobby to have Canada 2 in the hockey tournament. They'd certainly outlast Belarus and Germany. :-)
Old 02-18-2002, 11:40 PM   #15
Kid A

haha!! yes indeed MSU2mike, that's a perfect way of putting it, that's exactly what I was getting at! Canada has enough talent for about 5 or 6 teams and all of them would be better than teams like Belarus and Germany (and the others eliminated from the preliminary, except maybe Slovakia, who was unable to use their NHL players to qualify)