Crowded House to reform!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bella05

The Fly
It's official!

Crowded House are reforming for a new album and tour!

www.news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=181405

I've been a Crowded House fan for over 20 years and NEVER thought I'd see this day. :shocked: :ohmy: :happy: :combust:

I thought I'd resent this reunion but I honestly don't. I've felt nothing but elation since I found out. I guess life really is too short and the guys are making the most of today. Personally, I think the tragic loss of Paul Hester has brought the guys back together again and what better way to celebrate and remember his immensely valuable contribution. Paul may no longer be with us but his spirit will live on through the music...and something tells me he would've liked that.

A very courageous decision Neil and I'm sure it will be worth it. No doubt there will be tributes for Paul in honour of his memory. We'll get to hear some old songs (AGAIN!)but there'll also be a new album to discover and I simply can't wait to hear it! :hyper:

Long live the Crowdies!! :heart:

Last edited:
Yeah, when there were rumours last year, I didn't approve and was uncomfortable with the whole thing, but now? All I can feel is intense excitement at the prospect of the Crowdies being on the road. Perhaps it's a bit of a change in perspective: why let the music die with Hester? Keep it going. It may just be the best tribute to him.

Now all I want is to hear Recurring Dream live ... :drool:

dazzlingamy said:
:tsk:

running out of money?
Why come back - without Paul? You did your farewell tour.

Lets not hope they turn into John Farham

I agree. It seems like a ludicrous move.

I'm a diehard Crowded House fan and I don't think this is financially motivated at all. It's pretty well known that after so many years together, there was a lot of animosity amongst the band members. Breaking up was the right thing to do at the time. After Paul Hester died, Neil Finn and Nick Seymour turned to each other to deal with their grief and realized they enjoyed playing music together again. I think it's as simple as that. Neil Finn has continued to be successful in New Zealand and Australia and it's doubtful he'd get back into this for the money. I can't wait to hear what they do.

I loved CH then, was lucky enough to see them twice, and love CH now and can't wait to see them live again. Last year the Enz, this year the House!!! :hyper:

Regina Filangie said:
I'm a diehard Crowded House fan and I don't think this is financially motivated at all. It's pretty well known that after so many years together, there was a lot of animosity amongst the band members. Breaking up was the right thing to do at the time. After Paul Hester died, Neil Finn and Nick Seymour turned to each other to deal with their grief and realized they enjoyed playing music together again. I think it's as simple as that. Neil Finn has continued to be successful in New Zealand and Australia and it's doubtful he'd get back into this for the money. I can't wait to hear what they do.

Yeah, exactly. Of course some people will say "it's for the money", but I think that's a bit unrealistic for all the reasons you just said. And hey, if Neil Finn desperately needed money, he would've just kept Split Enz going in some form or another, given how successful their few shows last year were!

And like Halup pointed out on another thread, the Crowdies' final two years were essentially sans Hester anyway. The band has already existed without him, and while the guy obviously means a lot to everyone interested in the band, it's fallacious to say that "no Paul = no Crowdies". I'm optimistic about this reunion and I can't wait to see how it goes.

Regina Filangie said:
....After Paul Hester died, Neil Finn and Nick Seymour turned to each other to deal with their grief and realized they enjoyed playing music together again. I think it's as simple as that...

I totally agree. Couldn't have put it better myself.

Paul actually left Crowded House almost two and a half years before they broke up and only rejoined for the final show at the Sydney Opera House (which also raised money for the Sydney Children's Hospital).

Granted, opinions will be divided over this. It's just one of those things. Personally, I wouldn't miss this unexpected opportunity for anything!

U2Man said:
whats tim doing at the moment?

Touring for a consistent but mediocre album with one of the most hideous covers I've ever seen.

dazzlingamy said:
:tsk:

running out of money?
Why come back - without Paul? You did your farewell tour.

Lets not hope they turn into John Farham

Neil owns half of Auckland, Nick half of Dublin and Mark is a fairly in demand session/touring musician. I sincerely doubt they are anywhere near stretched for cash.

While their "farewell tour" was fairly extensive spanning two private fan club shows at the Corner Hotel and a free charity show at the Opera House - I can't help but get the feeling a lot of people missed it.

Anyway, for me there are two sides to the coin. In one way I am insanely looking forward to seeing Neil and Nick play together and even moreso Mark Hart busting out on his 12 stringer. As well, playing as The Crowdies opens up songs from the cannon that would otherwise go unplayed (Hole In The River, Love You 'Till The Day You Die, Fingers Of Love...). The other side of the coin revolves around them blemishing their otherwise perfect legacy. I've heard a handful of songs from the new album (albiet on a scratchy audience recording) and I really don't get the Crowdies vibe from them at all. But I guess time will tell...

what is the name of the keyboard/guitar player they used to have in crowded house?

thanks.

will mitchell produce again?

i sincerely think tim should jump on the wagon too. the finn brothers album is probably the best thing done by any of them since they split.

Last edited:
U2Man said:
thanks.

will mitchell produce again?

i sincerely think tim should jump on the wagon too. the finn brothers album is probably the best thing done by any of them since they split.

If they do a follow-up to the already recorded album then I would say Froom/Blake will be in the hot seat to produce - no doubt.

I thought One Nil/All was as good as any Crowdies Album - even if it was a little hard to get into. But like you said the Brothers album was solid too. Anything Can Happen is the best song Neil's done in years.

Mark Hart is the absolute bomb. He took Neil to the next level on the Together Alone sessions and tour. It's poor quality vid, but this is probably my favourite bit of work from Mark on the lap guitar in Private Universe... just magic.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xa-RwXrKIyU

I think all this info is old news, but I just thought I'd post the article that was in the L.A. Times today:

POP MUSIC
Crowded House stands out in the Coachella crowd
"I just wanted to be in a band again," says lead singer Neil Finn.
By Randy Lewis, Times Staff Writer
January 26, 2007

There's "Something So Strong" about New Zealand rock band Crowded House after all: The group that disbanded a decade ago is re-forming for a new album and tour that will begin at this year's Coachella Valley Music & Arts Festival.

While most of the headlines regarding the latest Coachella talent lineup announced Monday focused on the one-night-only reunion of rock-rap group Rage Against the Machine, fans have been buzzing worldwide about the resurrection of Crowded House.

After charting hits with Crowded House in the late '80s and '90s, including "Don't Dream It's Over" and "Something So Strong," the group's lead singer and chief songwriter Neil Finn decided to retire the band so he could concentrate on a solo career and on sibling projects with his brother Tim Finn, who also joined Crowded House briefly. Both had previously been members of Australia's Split Enz, which did a reunion tour in 2006.

But after the suicide of Crowded House drummer Paul Hester in 2004, Finn says he slowly came to the realization that "I just wanted to be in a band again. And what other band could it be, really?"

Speaking from Auckland, New Zealand, where he's been finishing the new album with bassist Nick Seymour, Finn told The Times today that he and Seymour came together again after Hester's death, and last year began working on new songs. They also spent time revisiting the band's past for "Farewell to the World," a 10th anniversary expanded DVD release of the film of their final concert at the Sydney Opera House, which came out earlier this month.

"It just feels like something good and true," Finn said. "We sought each other out in the shadow of Paul's passing. That helped us reconnect and gave me a reminder of what bands are and what they bring, with the sharing of the load between everybody, and the humor of not being the only guy at interviews and photo shoots. It all started to feel very natural to me."

The new album, due in the spring, will be called "Time on Earth," signaling the fleeting nature of life, a theme that came into sharp focus for Finn and Seymour with the loss of Hester.

"In ways I can't really elaborate on, Paul's presence looms large on the record," Finn said. "I didn't want to make a record that was wallowing in anything.... We were moved to write and to do things that remembered him to some degree, to acknowledge what happened. It affected us both very deeply and it still resonates very strongly. I dream about him a lot, and it will always to some degree haunt me. But ultimately it's an act of free will and choice, and you have to recognize that too."

Keyboardist Mark Hart, who toured and recorded with Crowded House, also will be taking part in the reunion tour, but Finn said there were no plans for his older brother, who has a solo album due soon, to join in. He and Seymour have been holding auditions in New Zealand and Australia and will continue the search for a new drummer with additional tryouts in Los Angeles in the next couple of weeks.

"It's pointless trying to find another Paul, because there isn't another Paul," he said. "It will be different, but hopefully it will be something that can grow and develop.... I'm very concerned that we do this properly so that it becomes a real band, and not just a brand."

Acknowledging rampant skepticism about the ever-rising tide of band reunions, Finn said, "There are people who may choose to see it in cynical ways, and I can't blame anybody — they can look at it any way they want. I know what drives me, and I'm not doing it for the money. I've done very well and I've got a really great, loyal and significant community of people who follow what I do as solo artist, with the Finn Brothers, and this is very exciting and has got me very fired up."

The print version of the article had a picture that accompanied the article.

I saw the Finn Brothers live and I would go see them live no matter what name they use
and the album was a solid effort that I still enjoy listening to now & again

bring on Crowded House :up:

I met Neil, Nick and Mark on Wednesday night after their surprise 2 song performance at a charity concert at the Alex Theatre in Glendale, CA. I was able to get into a pretty good conversation with Neil, who was in a great mood. I discussed possible drummers with him and with Nick. Timothius or Axver, email me at Halup@aol.com if you want more details, as I don't want to publicly post everything said to me.

A few weeks have passed......and a decision HAS been made regarding the new Crowded House drummer. :bonodrum:

I, and perhaps a few others here, know who it is - but I don't think I should publically name him until the official announcement is made.

Let's just hope and pray that the announcement is just around the corner! I have no idea if it is or not! :shrug:

Here's hoping anyway! :pray:

PS: Steve Lillywhite is currently working with them on a few last minute tracks....should be very interesting!

Last edited:
Yep, I know it was announced by that website back then. We're still waiting on an official statement from the record company. I'm VERY surprised that the media in Australia haven't run with this information but I guess they're playing by the rules this time. Time will tell....information tends to leak out on a Sunday...let's see what tomorrow brings.

Then again, maybe the media don't care but given the recent coverage in our media of the reunion, I'm quite certain they will be happy to report about the newest member, Matt.

Bella05 said:
Yep, I know it was announced by that website back then. We're still waiting on an official statement from the record company.
Why would you need that when you've got confirmation straight from Neil? How much more official does it have to get?

Back
Top Bottom