Crowded House to reform! - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-24-2007, 06:32 AM   #1
The Fly

Local Time: 10:15 AM
Crowded House to reform!

It's official!

Crowded House are reforming for a new album and tour!

www.news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=181405

I've been a Crowded House fan for over 20 years and NEVER thought I'd see this day.

I thought I'd resent this reunion but I honestly don't. I've felt nothing but elation since I found out. I guess life really is too short and the guys are making the most of today. Personally, I think the tragic loss of Paul Hester has brought the guys back together again and what better way to celebrate and remember his immensely valuable contribution. Paul may no longer be with us but his spirit will live on through the music...and something tells me he would've liked that.

A very courageous decision Neil and I'm sure it will be worth it. No doubt there will be tributes for Paul in honour of his memory. We'll get to hear some old songs (AGAIN!)but there'll also be a new album to discover and I simply can't wait to hear it!

Long live the Crowdies!!

Old 01-24-2007, 06:53 AM   #2
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 11:15 AM
Yeah, when there were rumours last year, I didn't approve and was uncomfortable with the whole thing, but now? All I can feel is intense excitement at the prospect of the Crowdies being on the road. Perhaps it's a bit of a change in perspective: why let the music die with Hester? Keep it going. It may just be the best tribute to him.

Now all I want is to hear Recurring Dream live ...

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 01-24-2007, 07:01 AM   #3
Blue Crack Addict

I'm only really a casual fan....but...
Old 01-24-2007, 07:06 AM   #4
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Great news.....hopefully the album will be decent.....
Old 01-24-2007, 11:50 AM   #5
Refugee

Location: The city of blinding lights and amazing coffee - Melbourne.

running out of money?
Why come back - without Paul? You did your farewell tour.

Lets not hope they turn into John Farham
Old 01-24-2007, 01:30 PM   #6
The Fly

Local Time: 12:15 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by dazzlingamy

running out of money?

I agree. It seems like a ludicrous move.
Old 01-24-2007, 01:32 PM   #7
The Fly

Local Time: 07:15 PM
I'm a diehard Crowded House fan and I don't think this is financially motivated at all. It's pretty well known that after so many years together, there was a lot of animosity amongst the band members. Breaking up was the right thing to do at the time. After Paul Hester died, Neil Finn and Nick Seymour turned to each other to deal with their grief and realized they enjoyed playing music together again. I think it's as simple as that. Neil Finn has continued to be successful in New Zealand and Australia and it's doubtful he'd get back into this for the money. I can't wait to hear what they do.
Old 01-24-2007, 05:11 PM   #8
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 10:45 AM
I loved CH then, was lucky enough to see them twice, and love CH now and can't wait to see them live again. Last year the Enz, this year the House!!!
Old 01-24-2007, 05:13 PM   #9
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally posted by Regina Filangie
I'm a diehard Crowded House fan and I don't think this is financially motivated at all. It's pretty well known that after so many years together, there was a lot of animosity amongst the band members. Breaking up was the right thing to do at the time. After Paul Hester died, Neil Finn and Nick Seymour turned to each other to deal with their grief and realized they enjoyed playing music together again. I think it's as simple as that. Neil Finn has continued to be successful in New Zealand and Australia and it's doubtful he'd get back into this for the money. I can't wait to hear what they do.
Yeah, exactly. Of course some people will say "it's for the money", but I think that's a bit unrealistic for all the reasons you just said. And hey, if Neil Finn desperately needed money, he would've just kept Split Enz going in some form or another, given how successful their few shows last year were!

And like Halup pointed out on another thread, the Crowdies' final two years were essentially sans Hester anyway. The band has already existed without him, and while the guy obviously means a lot to everyone interested in the band, it's fallacious to say that "no Paul = no Crowdies". I'm optimistic about this reunion and I can't wait to see how it goes.

"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 01-24-2007, 05:18 PM   #10
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 05:15 PM
Old 01-24-2007, 05:35 PM   #11
The Fly

Quote:
Originally posted by Regina Filangie
....After Paul Hester died, Neil Finn and Nick Seymour turned to each other to deal with their grief and realized they enjoyed playing music together again. I think it's as simple as that...
I totally agree. Couldn't have put it better myself.

Paul actually left Crowded House almost two and a half years before they broke up and only rejoined for the final show at the Sydney Opera House (which also raised money for the Sydney Children's Hospital).

Granted, opinions will be divided over this. It's just one of those things. Personally, I wouldn't miss this unexpected opportunity for anything!
Old 01-24-2007, 05:47 PM   #12
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 01:15 AM
whats tim doing at the moment?
Old 01-24-2007, 05:53 PM   #13
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally posted by U2Man
whats tim doing at the moment?
Touring for a consistent but mediocre album with one of the most hideous covers I've ever seen.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 01-24-2007, 06:17 PM   #14
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 10:45 AM
Was gonna see him but he cancelled his Adelaide show!
Old 01-24-2007, 07:41 PM   #15
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally posted by dazzlingamy

running out of money?

Neil owns half of Auckland, Nick half of Dublin and Mark is a fairly in demand session/touring musician. I sincerely doubt they are anywhere near stretched for cash.

While their "farewell tour" was fairly extensive spanning two private fan club shows at the Corner Hotel and a free charity show at the Opera House - I can't help but get the feeling a lot of people missed it.

Anyway, for me there are two sides to the coin. In one way I am insanely looking forward to seeing Neil and Nick play together and even moreso Mark Hart busting out on his 12 stringer. As well, playing as The Crowdies opens up songs from the cannon that would otherwise go unplayed (Hole In The River, Love You 'Till The Day You Die, Fingers Of Love...). The other side of the coin revolves around them blemishing their otherwise perfect legacy. I've heard a handful of songs from the new album (albiet on a scratchy audience recording) and I really don't get the Crowdies vibe from them at all. But I guess time will tell...