Crowded House to reform!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Originally posted by greenlight7-11

Why would you need that when you've got confirmation straight from Neil? How much more official does it get?

Perhaps I wasn't clear enough or you misunderstood me greenlight7-11. I know this news is 100% official from the head of the fan club but I'm merely stating that for some strange reason, the media here in Australia who LOVE Crowded House to bits, have not picked up on this fact and reported it as far as I know. As a result, I have to ask....why?

The story hungry Australian press usually raid that entire website for exclusive information about this band so I am very surprised that while this topic has been discussed extensively in forums, this development hasn't made the newspapers.

The media here ARE actually interested in the band as someone wrote an article a few weeks ago speculating who may fill that role. Now that this news is out and quite frankly, old, I can only assume that perhaps they are waiting for a record company statement which may also include other information such as tour details or press conference comments.

Given Crowded House's stronghold on the public AND the press here, the situation just seems a bit odd. When the reunion announcement was made, there were radio announcements, TV stories and multiple newspaper articles. While I don't expect that kind of reaction now, I would've thought they would still print that story eventually. Time will tell, I guess. :cool:

Last edited:
For those in S.Calif., Crowded House are playing the Glass House in Pomona on 4/27 (Friday). Tix on sale Saturday.

<<wonders if hubby will be getting on tix :hmm: :shrug:

Anyone watch the live webcast of the Crowdies rehearsing?

It was an amazing 2.5 hours of music. :drool:

don't dream it's over...

Khanada - I think they are playing here because of the Coachella Music Festival that weekend, so perhaps it's considered a 'warm-up' show.

I believe they mentioned at some point that they would be on tour for about a year, so there should be plenty of North American dates coming up.

I think we might have an extra ticket to the Glass House show. If anyone is interested, let me know. The show is, of course, sold out.

I'm sure they'll make it to other places in North America. I've seen Neil Finn in NYC & The Finn Bros. in Boston, so it's not as if they never venture out of the West coast. Also saw Crowded House in Houston years ago.

No, but perhaps dinner :wink:

I think we only own the first one or two CDs. I need to familiarize myself with more stuff. Anyone willing to... um... share? :shifty: :shh:

Lila, did you get/enjoy the albums I sent you?

Are there any others you need?

I downloaded both, but only got to listen to one of them once. I think I remember one song (at least) that sounded similar to something from one of the first two CDs. Don't know if I'll get to hear the other - may try later today. Very excited for the show tomorrow. Whether I'll know much material or not remains to be seen. I don't even know how many they released! :reject:

They released the self-titled album, Temple Of Low Men, Woodface, and finally Together Alone. Then there's a bit of new stuff on the Best Of, and the Afterglow rarities collection.

I hope the band hurry up and play here! I'm jealous of everyone who gets to see them now. (Though my wallet and bank balance aren't complaining.)

I believe they play Tempe, Arizona tonight, then Pomona, CA tomorrow, then the festival over the weekend. That's about all I know. Been stressing with work and no time to listen to music today. Gonna play some now!

On the Frenz forum, they are showing the setlist for the Tempe show. And they apparently did several new songs!

Last edited:
This information below is taken from a fan on the Frenz forum:

SETLIST
Locked Out
Don't Stop Now
Walked Her Way Down
Fingers of Love
Black and White Boy
Nobody Wants To
People Are Like Suns
Recurring Dream
Private Universe
World Where You Live
Don't Dream It's Over
Silent House
English Trees
Four Seasons in One Day
She Called Up
Distant Sun
When You Come
---------------------
Transit Lounge
Fall at Your Feet
---------------------
Heaven That I'm Making
Something So Strong
Better Be Home Soon

General comments:

Musically my highlight was the stretch from "People Are Like Suns," a perfect way to close the new album, to "Silent House." "Recurring Dream" was a very pleasant shock. Neil flubbed lyrics a handful of times but was always charming about it. The band had tons of energy, and I'm venturing Mark is feeling better, because he was joking around with the rest of them, including a very amusing exchange about the first song he learned on piano. Liam provided a superlative extra layer to the band's sound, and John was a constant presence. There was strong audience participation throughout, particularly singing chords at Neil's instruction during "Four Seasons" (we were "the most in-tune audience I've heard," said he).

My favorite joke was one near the end of the night, when Neil said, since the band will be playing two hours before Rage Against the Machine on the main stage at Coachella, that the Crowdies should play all Rage covers to "steal their thunder"--after which they launched into a very convincing imitation! He joked (perhaps with some truth to it) that Rage fans would probably stone them if such a daft stunt were performed.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Great show. Small club. Very warm. Few flubs here and there, very playful. One thing I do remember is when they were goofing off Neil and Nick ended up doing a little of the Beatles 'Do You Want To Know A Secret'. Seemed like great crowd participation too. It was a full, or should I say, crowded house :wink:

There were a few songs I was hoping for, but no luck (Weather With You, Italian Plastic, Mean To Me, Pineapple Head,...).

I'm exhausted - can post more comments/thoughts tomorrow.
But for those in Canada, Neil did say that he saw the itinerary today and they will be travelling to Canada.

Great show. Small club. Very warm. Few flubs here and there, very playful. One thing I do remember is when they were goofing off Neil and Nick ended up doing a little of the Beatles 'Do You Want To Know A Secret'. Seemed like great crowd participation too. It was a full, or should I say, crowded house :wink:

I'm back from the show as well. It was amazing to see this band again after 13 years. I'd gotten used to seeing Neil play many of these Crowded House songs in the 20 or so shows I've seen him do since the last time I saw CH, that I had forgotten just how much Nick Seymour's bass playing adds to the songs. He was in great form tonight, musically and with his humour. Matt Sherrod was excellent on drums and he seemed to be real happy to be playing with CH. Liam Finn played onstage on a lot of the songs as the 5th man.

There was a strong emphasis on Together Alone songs in the show, which I was happy with as I feel it is their best album. I was very surprised with recurring Dream, which came as an audience request. Neil began playing it solo and said something like "You know this is only a tease", but the full song ended up being played. Besides the short version of Do You Want To Know A Secret played after English trees, the first encore began with an impromtu jam which lasted for several minutes. There were some snippets during the show as well, including Nick singing part of El Condor Pasa (If I Could).

I talked to Neil, Nick and Mark after the show and asked Neil if Liam will continue to tour with the band. He said it remains to be seen how much he'll do with them, but they do need someone as the utility player in the band. I also asked how many songs they have recently recorded in the UK with Steve Lillywhite and he said 4, which is more than he had been expecting when I last talked to him in late January. During the show Neil acknowledged that he keeps feeling the inclination to keep tinkering with the album. The good thing now is that at least 4 songs at a minimum will now feature Mark and Matt making it more of a band album and less of the Neil Finn solo album (with assistance from Nick) that it began as.

This show was as good as one could hope and while there were some mistakes made, that only added to the charm of the show. I hope to see them a lot more times on this tour and hope that the dates that Neil mentioned seeing get announced soon.

Last edited:
Axver said:
HOLY FUCKING SHIT RECURRING DREAM!

I have to thank you again Axver for sending me that stuff earlier in the week. They played about 6 songs from 'Together Alone', and I was able to recognize some, that's for sure. Especially when they opened with Locked Out.

And by the way, that 'thing' I PM'd you about. Very crappy, but, um, musically discernable (90 min). Let me know if anyone finds a recording of the show (I can't torrent).

And by the way, you might be able to catch the webcast of them tomorrow at Coachella:
http://blueroom.att.com/mainstage/index.php

If I read the schedule/posts correctly, it will be at 7:45PM PST tomorrow evening. I hope I can log on!

oops! looks as if I should pay attention to what I'm doing.... :uhoh:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom