Crowded House Adoration & Worship Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

timothius

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
This is the thread for discussion, love & thoughts on, what I personally regard as the best band ever formed... Crowded House.

If you don't know who Crowded House is, then I'm sorry you truly are missing out. I shall fill you in with audio at the bottom of this post.

There is no band that has given me more pleasure and joy to listen to over my 18 years on this planet than Crowded House. I saw of them (other than the radio) ironically, was November 24, 1996... Farewell To The World. That night in one breath I fell in love and on the other they broke my heart - with the most gut wrenching version of any song ever performed by man. I still have etched in my memory watching the tears streaming down Paul's face during the bridge of Don't Dream It's Over.

Crowded House's strength suprisingly wasn't Neil's awesome songwriting ability, Nick's catchy bass or Paul's grounded drumming. It was an indefinable quality that came when all 3 of them came together, part humour, part anarchy, part celebration of music. While they produced in the studio what I regard 2 masterpieces (Temple Of Low Men & Together Alone) - they truly were a live act, clearing out nearly every "Best Live Act Award" & "Best International Act" in Britain during 1992-3 while U2 was all conquring on ZooTV.

Despite having the rugged pulled from under them, at the peak of their powers (unlike most other bands), the Crowdies spirit lives on - through the songwriting of Neil, the production work of Nick & the memory of Paul.

As said earlier I come baring audio for those who haven't heard the etheral tunes of Nick, Neil & Paul. Here are their biggest hits arranged in popularity order:

Don't Dream It's Over (1986, Crowded House) http://s17.ysi.com/d.aspx?id=3NSIRWQI2NA0W22KJHXGPDM2EU
Weather With You (1991, Woodface) http://s11.ysi.com/d.aspx?id=1QHUZW3JO42P010I2FF3Q9F379
Better Be Home Soon (1988, Temple Of Low Men) http://s17.ysi.com/d.aspx?id=30Z7F9XUJ0FVL23RXFSXXC5S8A
It's Only Natural (1991, Woodface) http://s17.ysi.com/d.aspx?id=2TSBSVWXQAZMF0X6IGINQG0BCK
Into Temptation (1988, Temple Of Low Men) http://s17.ysi.com/d.aspx?id=32URG3UYIH9VG1NN3UGBECNAWJ
Something So Strong (1986, Crowded House) http://s17.ysi.com/d.aspx?id=1TBA6D9X2IKV41M2CPL2XPQDMA
Distant Sun (1993, Together Alone) http://s17.ysi.com/d.aspx?id=0CCIE58OVIXDT2KWRNNWIZBG3B
Fall At Your Feet (1991, Woodface) http://s17.ysi.com/d.aspx?id=0A9287IOQ4W7G11NU5ARRASUZY
World Where You Live (1986, Crowded House) http://s17.ysi.com/d.aspx?id=38AV8MUPOED8W1EM6MMQFUZF86
Locked Out (1993, Together Alone) http://s17.ysi.com/d.aspx?id=1M853GPAUBKQK04AOP4EPBD1XC

We truly are scratching at the surface with those, they are mostly the poppy anthems that are likely to ring a bell. Of those Distant Sun is my favourite containing the best line ever written in a song.

The Farewell to the world concert made me a fan. I was watching the concert on MTV and when they played Four seasons in one day i was hooked.

One of the greatests bands and Neil Finn have the most amazing voice i have ever heard. Like an Angel......

Distant sun - I don't pretend to know what you want But I offer love - :love:

Crowded House quite simply made some of the best melodic rock of all time.

Incidentally, I'm listening to Distant Sun right now. :drool:

Hehe...I come here and see this...I am happy. Good idea, timothius :up: :D. Now I don't have to annoy people in other threads about 'em (well, except for the "What are you listening to?" threads) :p. Heh.

Anywho, I understand that "Farewell To The World" show is supposedly going to be released on DVD later this year...I really hope that's the case, 'cause in November of 1996 I was 12 years old and had no clue of Crowded House, other than "Don't Dream It's Over". The area I lived in just didn't really have any outlets in which a lot more of their music could be played. I don't even recall any TV stations in my area broadcasting that concert. But I've heard so many good things about it...I would love to see it.

Speaking of "Don't Dream It's Over", I have been listening to that song an ungodly amount of times lately...it's just really been sounding good to me as of late (course, I've always loved that song-have heard it since I was a little kid, so memories of childhood there, too). Fantastic lyrics in that one, too, along with the mention of "Distant Sun". And I'll agree with yimou about Neil's voice, too. Simply lovely.

I got fully hooked upon buying their best of CD last year, but I'd been discovering more of their music since late 2003, 'cause the music channels we had in Nebraska played some of their songs, and VH1 Classic was playing some of their videos, and, as I've mentioned before, people here were talking about them a lot, which made me curious. And I'm thankful to those various things for introducing me to these guys :). Good stuff, indeed :up:.

Angela

Mad props to Crowded House!!!

I sure hope they do release a dvd of that show. I've only ever seen bits and pieces of it.

I love Crowded House more then I probably should. But their music is so incredible. Fall at your feet is one of my all time favorite songs. It grabs at my heart and squeezes everytime I hear it.

I have the Crowded House dvd of all their videos and its so worth buying. Great visuals of the guys playing together. I had the great pleasure of seeing Neil play live a few years ago and he is still an amazing performer and singer. :yes:

If you like Crowded House, Split Enz is really worth checking out as well. They are a bit different, but still have a Crowdies feel to the music. Six Months In A Leaky Boat and Message To My Girl are great songs.

Russty Cat said:
Fall at your feet is one of my all time favorite songs.

That is a beautiful song :yes: :up:. Definitely a favorite.

Originally posted by Russty Cat
I have the Crowded House dvd of all their videos and its so worth buying. Great visuals of the guys playing together.

:yes:.

I had the great pleasure of seeing Neil play live a few years ago and he is still an amazing performer and singer. :yes:

I'd love to see him someday. From what I've seen on TV or other various forms of that sort of thing and heard in regards to live stuff, it sure seems like he puts on a good show :).

If you like Crowded House, Split Enz is really worth checking out as well. They are a bit different, but still have a Crowdies feel to the music. Six Months In A Leaky Boat and Message To My Girl are great songs.

In agreement again here, too (would dare any woman to look at the lyrics to "Message To My Girl" and not melt. Such a sweet song). Split Enz were an odd little group (odd in a good way)...very, very good.

Angela

U2Man said:
Love Crowded House, but never quite understood why they split?

Crowded House was Nick, Paul & Neil. When Paul left with 4 hours notice half way through the 1994 Together Alone tour of USA in Atlanta - that really took the stuffing out of them.

In the band, Neil was the mouth, Nick was the face & Paul was very much the heart. They continued - boots from that period are soncially brilliant (as the Together Alone album was) but the weren't as hearty as before. The banter was limited & not as funny.

Neil was burned I think by Split Enz's disintergration after Tim left and didn't want that to happen to Crowded House. Thus he went out on top... with a number 1 record in UK, Australia & New Zealand infront of 200,000 people on the steps of the Sydney Opera House. And for that night the spirit had returned - with Paul on the drumstool.

Some of my favourite House lines:

I don’t pretend to know what you want
But I offer love - Distant Sun, 1993 Together Alone

'round the world
Is a tangled up necklace of pearls How Will You Go? - 1991 Woodface

anei ra maua (here we are together)
e piri tahi nei (in a very close embrace)
e noha tahi nei (being together)
ko maua anake (just us alone) anei ra maua (here we are together)
ko maua anake (just us alone) Together Alone, 1993 Together Alone

The finger of blame has turned upon itself
And I’m more than willing to offer myself
Do you want my presence or need my help
Who knows where that might lead
I fall... Fall At Your Feet, 1991 Woodface

Somewhere deep inside
Something’s got a hold on you
And it’s pushing me aside
See it stretch on forever [/i]Better Be Home Soon, 1989 Temple Of Low Men

I called out to prove my love
You reply by getting defensive
I called out to prove my love
Now you should be able to sense it
I'm full of your dreams
I let you sleep with the lights on
Stay with me
Mineaswell be the kind of girl you want to be I Am In Love, 1999 Afterglow

Some good ones there, timothius :up: (that chant in "Together Alone" is so cool...). Another one I like from "Distant Sun" is one right before the one you quote: "Like a Christian feeling vengeance from above". There's just something about that line...I just really like it.

A few others:

From "It's Only Natural":
I want you to know I feel completely at ease, read me like a book that's fallen down between your knees, please let me have my way with you

That's just sexy :D.

From "Don't Dream It's Over":
There's a battle ahead, many battles are lost, but you'll never see the end of the world while you're traveling with me

That's beautiful. I think that's one of the best lines I've ever heard in any song, period.

And every line in "Into Temptation" is great, imho.

Angela

Moonlit_Angel said:
I'd love to see him someday. From what I've seen on TV or other various forms of that sort of thing and heard in regards to live stuff, it sure seems like he puts on a good show :).

Don't walk. Don't run. Don't sprint. Hop in the nearest sports car, break every speed limit in sight, and drive as fast as that car will go to your neares ticketing outlet and GET TICKETS TO SEE THE FINN BROTHERS!

Seeing them live in Brisbane last week was incredible, close to U2's level. I didn't like Pineapple Head until I heard it live. Better Be Home Soon was the last song they played, dedicated to Paul, and was extremely emotional. And I'll save my gushing about the Split Enz songs they played until timothius makes the appropriate thread. :wink:

(Though Tim, can you do me a favour and send me Message To My Girl and Poor Boy? Mum had those on vinyl, but when my parents divorced, Dad took the record player and all the records, so ... :( )

timothius said:
anei ra maua (here we are together)
ko maua anake (just us alone) anei ra maua (here we are together)
ko maua anake (just us alone) Together Alone, 1993 Together Alone

And Australians try to say Crowded House aren't a Kiwi band. :tsk: :shame:

(I also present Mean To Me in favour of the Kiwi argument. No Aussie band is EVER going to mention Te Awamutu in a song!)

My personal favourite lyric:

"People are strange" - I Feel Possessed

DAMN. RIGHT.

timothius said:

Crowded House was Nick, Paul & Neil. When Paul left with 4 hours notice half way through the 1994 Together Alone tour of USA in Atlanta - that really took the stuffing out of them.

In the band, Neil was the mouth, Nick was the face & Paul was very much the heart. They continued - boots from that period are soncially brilliant (as the Together Alone album was) but the weren't as hearty as before. The banter was limited & not as funny.

Neil was burned I think by Split Enz's disintergration after Tim left and didn't want that to happen to Crowded House. Thus he went out on top... with a number 1 record in UK, Australia & New Zealand infront of 200,000 people on the steps of the Sydney Opera House. And for that night the spirit had returned - with Paul on the drumstool.

Wasn't Tim a member of Crowded House once and why didn't they feel the same when he left the band then?

Axver said:
Don't walk. Don't run. Don't sprint. Hop in the nearest sports car, break every speed limit in sight, and drive as fast as that car will go to your neares ticketing outlet and GET TICKETS TO SEE THE FINN BROTHERS!

Oh, how I'd love to do that. Problem is, I live in the U.S., in Wyoming, to be exact. And they are coming nowhere near me at this time. Australia's just too far away, and no way could I afford a plane ticket right now :sigh:.

But believe me, if I did live in an area close enough to go see them, you can bet I wouldn't be wasting any more time sitting here babbling :p.

Heh, oddly enough, though, this past February, they were in northeastern Colorado. Not too far a drive from where I live, about 4, 4 and a half hours or so, I could've had a chance to go if I had the money and means to do so. Except for the small fact that the place they played was one where you had to be 21 or older to get in, and I'm 20. So frustrating.

Originally posted by Axver
Seeing them live in Brisbane last week was incredible, close to U2's level. I didn't like Pineapple Head until I heard it live. Better Be Home Soon was the last song they played, dedicated to Paul, and was extremely emotional.

I've heard about that. I found a version of that song done at the Royal Albert Hall on March 30th, without the PA system and with the crowd just merely singing along with the guys, and oh, wow...:sad:. Yeah. Tears. How they managed to get through those shows that week, I will never know.

But yes, I have heard many, many good things about their shows thus far this summer. I'm glad that you guys have been enjoying yourselves over there. Now if they could just come here...

Originaly posted by Axver
And I'll save my gushing about the Split Enz songs they played until timothius makes the appropriate thread. :wink:

LOL :D.

Also, I will agree with you about the "I Feel Possessed" lyric, too. Yeah, that pretty much sums up my feelings about the world quite often, LOL.

Angela

Oh wow. This thread is bringing back memories.

Seeing Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark in the 80s sometime and supporting them: the newly formed Crowded House. And blowing OMD so far off the stage they went into orbit. Seeing Nick crack up at girls mouthing "I love you" at him. Seeing them twice again, the last time when Mark had joined and they were a 4 piece and some of the bitter and twisted humour coming from Paul's mouth (and being shocked and not really surprised when he left the band not very long after).

Wanting to see the farewell concert but not being able to go to Sydney. Listening to the concert live on the radio while painting skirting boards in my first house (true story!)

Watching the DVD and bouncing around the living room.

Crying the day I heard that Paul had gone.

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE them and their music.:love:

Last edited:
Axver said:

(Though Tim, can you do me a favour and send me Message To My Girl and Poor Boy? Mum had those on vinyl, but when my parents divorced, Dad took the record player and all the records, so ... :( )

I'll try and find my copy of Spellbound - The Best Of Split Enz tonight rip it and up it. Then you can be prepared for next weeks thread. :drool:

Axver said:

And Australians try to say Crowded House aren't a Kiwi band. :tsk: :shame:

(I also present Mean To Me in favour of the Kiwi argument. No Aussie band is EVER going to mention Te Awamutu in a song!)

When I saw Neil & Tim at the Max Sessions down in Melbourne the question was posed how do they feel about being claimed as Australians?

Tim said Split Enz was definatly a NZ band, despite living in Melbourne for a lot of the time - the 15 members of Split Enz broke down as 12 New Zealanders, 2 Englishmen & 1 Australian. Besides Split eNZ!

Neil then said he thought that Crowded House was an Australian band playing New Zealand songs. Which is probably the best thought on the matter I have heard.

U2Man said:

Wasn't Tim a member of Crowded House once and why didn't they feel the same when he left the band then?

Woodface was origionally 2 projects. Finn, Neil & Tim's aborted Brothers project & Woodface - the third Crowded House album.

The songs broke down as such:

Finn
------------
Chocolate Cake
It's Only Natural
Tall Trees
Weather With You
Whispers & Moans
Four Seasons In One Day
There Goes God
All I Ask
How Will You Go?
In Love With It All
Prodigal Son

Woodface
---------------
Fall At Your Feet
Fame Is
As Sure As I Am
Italian Plastic
She Goes On
Sacred Cow
You Can Touch
I Love You Dawn
Dr. Livingstone
Time Immemorial :love: :love:
Left Hand
Recurring Dream (Re-record)

Basically they figured out that Woodface was a few tracks short of an album & Woodface lacked singles - thus Neil (feeling guilt of success without Tim) invited him to join the band. His stay was reasonably short from around mid-1991 through to mid-1992 he & Neil had a huge falling out which cleared up as soon as Tim left. The post-Tim Woodface line-up produced the best live performances that the band ever had.

Moonlit_Angel said:

A few others:

From "It's Only Natural":
I want you to know I feel completely at ease, read me like a book that's fallen down between your knees, please let me have my way with you

That's just sexy :D.

What about...

She says I could never do that,
But I know you can you are in my dream,
We're one person not two of a kind,
What was mine is now in your possession. :drool:

Don't get me started on You Can Touch & Whispers And Moans. :flirt:

Moonlit_Angel said:

Oh, how I'd love to do that. Problem is, I live in the U.S., in Wyoming, to be exact. And they are coming nowhere near me at this time. Australia's just too far away, and no way could I afford a plane ticket right now :sigh:.

You live in Wyoming? You mean someone seriously lives there? :wink:

(One of my friends' favourite jokes has something to do with the 'fact' Wyoming is an imaginary state. I think he said it comes from a Garfield comic strip ...)

I sincerely hope you get the chance to see the Finns at some point in your life. They are truly exceptional live - listening to some studio stuff now feels rather hollow for me, that's how good they were. The Enz stuff was the highlight of the night for me. Six Months In A Leaky Boat ... :drool:

timothius said:

When I saw Neil & Tim at the Max Sessions down in Melbourne the question was posed how do they feel about being claimed as Australians?

Tim said Split Enz was definatly a NZ band, despite living in Melbourne for a lot of the time - the 15 members of Split Enz broke down as 12 New Zealanders, 2 Englishmen & 1 Australian. Besides Split eNZ!

Neil then said he thought that Crowded House was an Australian band playing New Zealand songs. Which is probably the best thought on the matter I have heard.

Now now, Neil, don't go saying things like that or it might go to the Aussies' heads. :wink:

Actually, I see his point.

But wow, there were fifteen members of Split Enz? I suppose that's a topic for another thread, but I didn't know there were quite that many!

Also, I'm confused about the list of songs for Woodface. There aren't that many on the CD, are there? Where'd the rest go?

yimou said:
The Farewell to the world concert made me a fan. I was watching the concert on MTV and when they played Four seasons in one day i was hooked.

One of the greatests bands and Neil Finn have the most amazing voice i have ever heard. Like an Angel......

Distant sun - I don't pretend to know what you want But I offer love - :love:

I think that concert was never broadcasted here. I've thus never seen it. :(
So hopefully your information is correct, Angela, and it is going to be released.

And yes, that line in Distant Sun is truly amazing.

My favourite Crowded House song is Private Universe. The lines that do it for me are very cryptic, but they are sooooo beautiful. :drool:

Every night about six o'clock
The birds come back to the palm to talk
They talk to me, birds talk to me
If I go down on my knees

Axver said:

I had a ticket for their concert about six weeks ago. But then I got to work in Brussels (thus in another country) and I couldn't go. :( I heard from Salome (who'd bought my ticket) that it was a really good concert, very emotional indeed.

That night I comforted myself by seeing Suzanne Vega. She's good too (I bought her Best Of... as a result of that concert). But I did miss the Finn Brothers...

Axver said:
You live in Wyoming? You mean someone seriously lives there? :wink:

(One of my friends' favourite jokes has something to do with the 'fact' Wyoming is an imaginary state. I think he said it comes from a Garfield comic strip ...)

LOL, yeah, believe it or not, people actually live here (there's a site that has made up slogans for the states-Wyoming's is "Why are you here?" :p). I'm originally from Iowa, though. I'm in the northeastern part of Wyoming.

Originally posted by Axver
I sincerely hope you get the chance to see the Finns at some point in your life. They are truly exceptional live - listening to some studio stuff now feels rather hollow for me, that's how good they were. The Enz stuff was the highlight of the night for me. Six Months In A Leaky Boat ... :drool:

LOL, wow...don't torture me! :p.

As for seeing them...heh, think they'd be interested in coming through Casper or Cheyenne, Wyoming, or Rapid City, South Dakota? I'd bet there'd be a nice little club somewhere in those places they could perform at...

Also, timothius, yeah, those lines work, too. "Whispers And Moans" would be another one to add just for the chorus alone :drool:...

Angela

Oh, I also want to add this.
I have the version of Recurring Dream: The Very Best Of... with the live bonus disc. It has, besides the amazing sequence Live You 'Til The Day I Die -> Hole In The River, also the wonderful Sister Madly. During the song, the band breaks down (due to Paul missing a beat or so) and then they pick up the pieces to create something magical.
:faint:

timothius said:

What about...

She says I could never do that,
But I know you can you are in my dream,
We're one person not two of a kind,
What was mine is now in your possession. :drool:

Don't get me started on You Can Touch & Whispers And Moans. :flirt:

I add:

When you come across the sea
Me like a beacon guiding you to safety
The sooner the better now
And when you come the hils
Will breathe like a baby
Pulled up heaving from the bottom of the ocean
When you come to cover me with your kisses
Fresh like a daisy chained up in a lion’s den
I’ll know you by the thunderclap
Pouring like a rain of blood to my emotions

And that is why
I stumble to my knees
And why underneath the heavens
With the stars burning and exploding
I know I could never let you down

When you come like an iceberg float in darkness
Smashing my hull send me to the bottom of the sea
I should know you better now
When you come your majesty to entrap me
Prince of light receding
And when you come to cover me
With your kisses hard like armour
I’ll know you by the thunderclap
Pouring like a rain of blood to my emotions

And that is why
I stumble to my knees
And why underneath the heavens
With the stars burning and exploding
I know I could never let you down

She came out of the water
Into my horizon
Like a cumulo nimbus
Coming in from a distance
Burning and exploding
Burning and exploding
Like a slow volcano
When you come
Cover the ground with ashes
When you come

:drool: :combust: :faint:

I also remember a magical festival performance of them here in the Netherlands. It was in 1994, just after Paul had left. They played this big festival here (Pinkpop, U2 played there too... in 1981). As it is usual in the Netherlands, the weather was miserable (rain, etc. just like it is today :|). Mark went to the front where all the cameras were standing to get wet too and show some solidarity with the audience.
Anyway, they start playing There Goes God and fortunately the rain stops. Divine intervention or pure coincidence? Who knows, but when they play an extended version of Weather With You (the song now playing on my stereo) suddenly the sun comes through the clouds. That's no coincidence anymore... :drool:
:love:

*will maybe watch that footage again later this afternoon*

Back
Top Bottom