Crowded House Adoration & Worship Thread - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-30-2005, 06:44 PM   #1
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 12:11 PM
Crowded House Adoration & Worship Thread

This is the thread for discussion, love & thoughts on, what I personally regard as the best band ever formed... Crowded House.

If you don't know who Crowded House is, then I'm sorry you truly are missing out. I shall fill you in with audio at the bottom of this post.

There is no band that has given me more pleasure and joy to listen to over my 18 years on this planet than Crowded House. I saw of them (other than the radio) ironically, was November 24, 1996... Farewell To The World. That night in one breath I fell in love and on the other they broke my heart - with the most gut wrenching version of any song ever performed by man. I still have etched in my memory watching the tears streaming down Paul's face during the bridge of Don't Dream It's Over.

Crowded House's strength suprisingly wasn't Neil's awesome songwriting ability, Nick's catchy bass or Paul's grounded drumming. It was an indefinable quality that came when all 3 of them came together, part humour, part anarchy, part celebration of music. While they produced in the studio what I regard 2 masterpieces (Temple Of Low Men & Together Alone) - they truly were a live act, clearing out nearly every "Best Live Act Award" & "Best International Act" in Britain during 1992-3 while U2 was all conquring on ZooTV.

Despite having the rugged pulled from under them, at the peak of their powers (unlike most other bands), the Crowdies spirit lives on - through the songwriting of Neil, the production work of Nick & the memory of Paul.

As said earlier I come baring audio for those who haven't heard the etheral tunes of Nick, Neil & Paul. Here are their biggest hits arranged in popularity order:

Don't Dream It's Over (1986, Crowded House) http://s17.ysi.com/d.aspx?id=3NSIRWQI2NA0W22KJHXGPDM2EU
Weather With You (1991, Woodface) http://s11.ysi.com/d.aspx?id=1QHUZW3JO42P010I2FF3Q9F379
Better Be Home Soon (1988, Temple Of Low Men) http://s17.ysi.com/d.aspx?id=30Z7F9XUJ0FVL23RXFSXXC5S8A
It's Only Natural (1991, Woodface) http://s17.ysi.com/d.aspx?id=2TSBSVWXQAZMF0X6IGINQG0BCK
Into Temptation (1988, Temple Of Low Men) http://s17.ysi.com/d.aspx?id=32URG3UYIH9VG1NN3UGBECNAWJ
Something So Strong (1986, Crowded House) http://s17.ysi.com/d.aspx?id=1TBA6D9X2IKV41M2CPL2XPQDMA
Distant Sun (1993, Together Alone) http://s17.ysi.com/d.aspx?id=0CCIE58OVIXDT2KWRNNWIZBG3B
Fall At Your Feet (1991, Woodface) http://s17.ysi.com/d.aspx?id=0A9287IOQ4W7G11NU5ARRASUZY
World Where You Live (1986, Crowded House) http://s17.ysi.com/d.aspx?id=38AV8MUPOED8W1EM6MMQFUZF86
Locked Out (1993, Together Alone) http://s17.ysi.com/d.aspx?id=1M853GPAUBKQK04AOP4EPBD1XC

We truly are scratching at the surface with those, they are mostly the poppy anthems that are likely to ring a bell. Of those Distant Sun is my favourite containing the best line ever written in a song.

Old 07-30-2005, 06:51 PM   #2
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 02:11 AM
The Farewell to the world concert made me a fan. I was watching the concert on MTV and when they played Four seasons in one day i was hooked.

One of the greatests bands and Neil Finn have the most amazing voice i have ever heard. Like an Angel......

Distant sun - I don't pretend to know what you want But I offer love -

Old 07-30-2005, 07:25 PM   #3
Vocal parasite

Crowded House quite simply made some of the best melodic rock of all time.

Incidentally, I'm listening to Distant Sun right now.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 07-30-2005, 07:45 PM   #4
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 07:11 PM
they're all right
Old 07-30-2005, 08:54 PM   #5
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Hehe...I come here and see this...I am happy. Good idea, timothius . Now I don't have to annoy people in other threads about 'em (well, except for the "What are you listening to?" threads) . Heh.

Anywho, I understand that "Farewell To The World" show is supposedly going to be released on DVD later this year...I really hope that's the case, 'cause in November of 1996 I was 12 years old and had no clue of Crowded House, other than "Don't Dream It's Over". The area I lived in just didn't really have any outlets in which a lot more of their music could be played. I don't even recall any TV stations in my area broadcasting that concert. But I've heard so many good things about it...I would love to see it.

Speaking of "Don't Dream It's Over", I have been listening to that song an ungodly amount of times lately...it's just really been sounding good to me as of late (course, I've always loved that song-have heard it since I was a little kid, so memories of childhood there, too). Fantastic lyrics in that one, too, along with the mention of "Distant Sun". And I'll agree with yimou about Neil's voice, too. Simply lovely.

I got fully hooked upon buying their best of CD last year, but I'd been discovering more of their music since late 2003, 'cause the music channels we had in Nebraska played some of their songs, and VH1 Classic was playing some of their videos, and, as I've mentioned before, people here were talking about them a lot, which made me curious. And I'm thankful to those various things for introducing me to these guys . Good stuff, indeed .

Angela
Old 07-31-2005, 12:12 AM   #6
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 06:11 PM
Mad props to Crowded House!!!

I sure hope they do release a dvd of that show. I've only ever seen bits and pieces of it.

I love Crowded House more then I probably should. But their music is so incredible. Fall at your feet is one of my all time favorite songs. It grabs at my heart and squeezes everytime I hear it.

I have the Crowded House dvd of all their videos and its so worth buying. Great visuals of the guys playing together. I had the great pleasure of seeing Neil play live a few years ago and he is still an amazing performer and singer.

If you like Crowded House, Split Enz is really worth checking out as well. They are a bit different, but still have a Crowdies feel to the music. Six Months In A Leaky Boat and Message To My Girl are great songs.
Old 07-31-2005, 12:15 AM   #7
New Yorker

Local Time: 06:11 PM
They were alright.
Old 07-31-2005, 12:30 AM   #8
ONE
love, blood, life

Love Crowded House, but never quite understood why they split?
Old 07-31-2005, 12:33 AM   #9
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Quote:
Originally posted by Russty Cat
Fall at your feet is one of my all time favorite songs.
That is a beautiful song . Definitely a favorite.

Quote:
I have the Crowded House dvd of all their videos and its so worth buying. Great visuals of the guys playing together.

Quote:
I had the great pleasure of seeing Neil play live a few years ago and he is still an amazing performer and singer.
I'd love to see him someday. From what I've seen on TV or other various forms of that sort of thing and heard in regards to live stuff, it sure seems like he puts on a good show .

Quote:
If you like Crowded House, Split Enz is really worth checking out as well. They are a bit different, but still have a Crowdies feel to the music. Six Months In A Leaky Boat and Message To My Girl are great songs.
In agreement again here, too (would dare any woman to look at the lyrics to "Message To My Girl" and not melt. Such a sweet song). Split Enz were an odd little group (odd in a good way)...very, very good.

Angela
Old 07-31-2005, 12:47 AM   #10
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally posted by U2Man
Love Crowded House, but never quite understood why they split?
Crowded House was Nick, Paul & Neil. When Paul left with 4 hours notice half way through the 1994 Together Alone tour of USA in Atlanta - that really took the stuffing out of them.

In the band, Neil was the mouth, Nick was the face & Paul was very much the heart. They continued - boots from that period are soncially brilliant (as the Together Alone album was) but the weren't as hearty as before. The banter was limited & not as funny.

Neil was burned I think by Split Enz's disintergration after Tim left and didn't want that to happen to Crowded House. Thus he went out on top... with a number 1 record in UK, Australia & New Zealand infront of 200,000 people on the steps of the Sydney Opera House. And for that night the spirit had returned - with Paul on the drumstool.
Old 07-31-2005, 01:01 AM   #11
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Some of my favourite House lines:

I don’t pretend to know what you want
But I offer love - Distant Sun, 1993 Together Alone

'round the world
Is a tangled up necklace of pearls How Will You Go? - 1991 Woodface

anei ra maua (here we are together)
e piri tahi nei (in a very close embrace)
e noha tahi nei (being together)
ko maua anake (just us alone) anei ra maua (here we are together)
ko maua anake (just us alone) Together Alone, 1993 Together Alone

The finger of blame has turned upon itself
And I’m more than willing to offer myself
Do you want my presence or need my help
Who knows where that might lead
I fall... Fall At Your Feet, 1991 Woodface

Somewhere deep inside
Something’s got a hold on you
And it’s pushing me aside
See it stretch on forever [/i]Better Be Home Soon, 1989 Temple Of Low Men[i]

I called out to prove my love
You reply by getting defensive
I called out to prove my love
Now you should be able to sense it
I'm full of your dreams
I let you sleep with the lights on
Stay with me
Mineaswell be the kind of girl you want to be I Am In Love, 1999 Afterglow
Old 07-31-2005, 01:22 AM   #12
Blue Crack Addict

Some good ones there, timothius (that chant in "Together Alone" is so cool...). Another one I like from "Distant Sun" is one right before the one you quote: "Like a Christian feeling vengeance from above". There's just something about that line...I just really like it.

A few others:

From "It's Only Natural":
I want you to know I feel completely at ease, read me like a book that's fallen down between your knees, please let me have my way with you

That's just sexy .

From "Don't Dream It's Over":
There's a battle ahead, many battles are lost, but you'll never see the end of the world while you're traveling with me

That's beautiful. I think that's one of the best lines I've ever heard in any song, period.

And every line in "Into Temptation" is great, imho.

Angela
Old 07-31-2005, 01:25 AM   #13
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally posted by Moonlit_Angel
I'd love to see him someday. From what I've seen on TV or other various forms of that sort of thing and heard in regards to live stuff, it sure seems like he puts on a good show .
Don't walk. Don't run. Don't sprint. Hop in the nearest sports car, break every speed limit in sight, and drive as fast as that car will go to your neares ticketing outlet and GET TICKETS TO SEE THE FINN BROTHERS!

Seeing them live in Brisbane last week was incredible, close to U2's level. I didn't like Pineapple Head until I heard it live. Better Be Home Soon was the last song they played, dedicated to Paul, and was extremely emotional. And I'll save my gushing about the Split Enz songs they played until timothius makes the appropriate thread.

(Though Tim, can you do me a favour and send me Message To My Girl and Poor Boy? Mum had those on vinyl, but when my parents divorced, Dad took the record player and all the records, so ... )

"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 07-31-2005, 01:28 AM   #14
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally posted by timothius
anei ra maua (here we are together)
ko maua anake (just us alone) anei ra maua (here we are together)
ko maua anake (just us alone) Together Alone, 1993 Together Alone
And Australians try to say Crowded House aren't a Kiwi band.

(I also present Mean To Me in favour of the Kiwi argument. No Aussie band is EVER going to mention Te Awamutu in a song!)

My personal favourite lyric:

"People are strange" - I Feel Possessed

DAMN. RIGHT.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 07-31-2005, 01:35 AM   #15
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by timothius

Crowded House was Nick, Paul & Neil. When Paul left with 4 hours notice half way through the 1994 Together Alone tour of USA in Atlanta - that really took the stuffing out of them.

In the band, Neil was the mouth, Nick was the face & Paul was very much the heart. They continued - boots from that period are soncially brilliant (as the Together Alone album was) but the weren't as hearty as before. The banter was limited & not as funny.

Neil was burned I think by Split Enz's disintergration after Tim left and didn't want that to happen to Crowded House. Thus he went out on top... with a number 1 record in UK, Australia & New Zealand infront of 200,000 people on the steps of the Sydney Opera House. And for that night the spirit had returned - with Paul on the drumstool.
Wasn't Tim a member of Crowded House once and why didn't they feel the same when he left the band then?