Crowded House Adoration & Worship Thread - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-31-2005, 01:53 AM   #16
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 08:23 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Axver
Don't walk. Don't run. Don't sprint. Hop in the nearest sports car, break every speed limit in sight, and drive as fast as that car will go to your neares ticketing outlet and GET TICKETS TO SEE THE FINN BROTHERS!
Oh, how I'd love to do that. Problem is, I live in the U.S., in Wyoming, to be exact. And they are coming nowhere near me at this time. Australia's just too far away, and no way could I afford a plane ticket right now .

But believe me, if I did live in an area close enough to go see them, you can bet I wouldn't be wasting any more time sitting here babbling .

Heh, oddly enough, though, this past February, they were in northeastern Colorado. Not too far a drive from where I live, about 4, 4 and a half hours or so, I could've had a chance to go if I had the money and means to do so. Except for the small fact that the place they played was one where you had to be 21 or older to get in, and I'm 20. So frustrating.

Quote:
Seeing them live in Brisbane last week was incredible, close to U2's level. I didn't like Pineapple Head until I heard it live. Better Be Home Soon was the last song they played, dedicated to Paul, and was extremely emotional.
I've heard about that. I found a version of that song done at the Royal Albert Hall on March 30th, without the PA system and with the crowd just merely singing along with the guys, and oh, wow.... Yeah. Tears. How they managed to get through those shows that week, I will never know.

But yes, I have heard many, many good things about their shows thus far this summer. I'm glad that you guys have been enjoying yourselves over there. Now if they could just come here...

Quote:
Originaly posted by Axver
And I'll save my gushing about the Split Enz songs they played until timothius makes the appropriate thread.
LOL .

Also, I will agree with you about the "I Feel Possessed" lyric, too. Yeah, that pretty much sums up my feelings about the world quite often, LOL.

Angela

Old 07-31-2005, 01:56 AM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 12:53 PM
Oh wow. This thread is bringing back memories.

Seeing Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark in the 80s sometime and supporting them: the newly formed Crowded House. And blowing OMD so far off the stage they went into orbit. Seeing Nick crack up at girls mouthing "I love you" at him. Seeing them twice again, the last time when Mark had joined and they were a 4 piece and some of the bitter and twisted humour coming from Paul's mouth (and being shocked and not really surprised when he left the band not very long after).

Wanting to see the farewell concert but not being able to go to Sydney. Listening to the concert live on the radio while painting skirting boards in my first house (true story!)

Watching the DVD and bouncing around the living room.

Crying the day I heard that Paul had gone.

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE them and their music.

Old 07-31-2005, 02:01 AM   #18
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 01:23 PM
Quote:

(Though Tim, can you do me a favour and send me Message To My Girl and Poor Boy? Mum had those on vinyl, but when my parents divorced, Dad took the record player and all the records, so ... )
I'll try and find my copy of Spellbound - The Best Of Split Enz tonight rip it and up it. Then you can be prepared for next weeks thread.
Old 07-31-2005, 02:07 AM   #19
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:

And Australians try to say Crowded House aren't a Kiwi band.

(I also present Mean To Me in favour of the Kiwi argument. No Aussie band is EVER going to mention Te Awamutu in a song!)
When I saw Neil & Tim at the Max Sessions down in Melbourne the question was posed how do they feel about being claimed as Australians?

Tim said Split Enz was definatly a NZ band, despite living in Melbourne for a lot of the time - the 15 members of Split Enz broke down as 12 New Zealanders, 2 Englishmen & 1 Australian. Besides Split eNZ!

Neil then said he thought that Crowded House was an Australian band playing New Zealand songs. Which is probably the best thought on the matter I have heard.
Old 07-31-2005, 02:14 AM   #20
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally posted by U2Man

Wasn't Tim a member of Crowded House once and why didn't they feel the same when he left the band then?
Woodface was origionally 2 projects. Finn, Neil & Tim's aborted Brothers project & Woodface - the third Crowded House album.

The songs broke down as such:

Finn
------------
Chocolate Cake
It's Only Natural
Tall Trees
Weather With You
Whispers & Moans
Four Seasons In One Day
There Goes God
All I Ask
How Will You Go?
In Love With It All
Prodigal Son

Woodface
---------------
Fall At Your Feet
Fame Is
As Sure As I Am
Italian Plastic
She Goes On
Sacred Cow
You Can Touch
I Love You Dawn
Dr. Livingstone
Time Immemorial
Left Hand
Recurring Dream (Re-record)

Basically they figured out that Woodface was a few tracks short of an album & Woodface lacked singles - thus Neil (feeling guilt of success without Tim) invited him to join the band. His stay was reasonably short from around mid-1991 through to mid-1992 he & Neil had a huge falling out which cleared up as soon as Tim left. The post-Tim Woodface line-up produced the best live performances that the band ever had.
Old 07-31-2005, 02:17 AM   #21
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally posted by Moonlit_Angel

A few others:

From "It's Only Natural":
I want you to know I feel completely at ease, read me like a book that's fallen down between your knees, please let me have my way with you

That's just sexy .
What about...

She says I could never do that,
But I know you can you are in my dream,
We're one person not two of a kind,
What was mine is now in your possession.

Don't get me started on You Can Touch & Whispers And Moans.
Old 07-31-2005, 02:26 AM   #22
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally posted by Moonlit_Angel

Oh, how I'd love to do that. Problem is, I live in the U.S., in Wyoming, to be exact. And they are coming nowhere near me at this time. Australia's just too far away, and no way could I afford a plane ticket right now .
You live in Wyoming? You mean someone seriously lives there?

(One of my friends' favourite jokes has something to do with the 'fact' Wyoming is an imaginary state. I think he said it comes from a Garfield comic strip ...)

I sincerely hope you get the chance to see the Finns at some point in your life. They are truly exceptional live - listening to some studio stuff now feels rather hollow for me, that's how good they were. The Enz stuff was the highlight of the night for me. Six Months In A Leaky Boat ...

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 07-31-2005, 02:28 AM   #23
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally posted by timothius

When I saw Neil & Tim at the Max Sessions down in Melbourne the question was posed how do they feel about being claimed as Australians?

Tim said Split Enz was definatly a NZ band, despite living in Melbourne for a lot of the time - the 15 members of Split Enz broke down as 12 New Zealanders, 2 Englishmen & 1 Australian. Besides Split eNZ!

Neil then said he thought that Crowded House was an Australian band playing New Zealand songs. Which is probably the best thought on the matter I have heard.
Now now, Neil, don't go saying things like that or it might go to the Aussies' heads.

Actually, I see his point.

But wow, there were fifteen members of Split Enz? I suppose that's a topic for another thread, but I didn't know there were quite that many!

Also, I'm confused about the list of songs for Woodface. There aren't that many on the CD, are there? Where'd the rest go?

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 07-31-2005, 02:45 AM   #24
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 03:23 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by yimou
The Farewell to the world concert made me a fan. I was watching the concert on MTV and when they played Four seasons in one day i was hooked.

One of the greatests bands and Neil Finn have the most amazing voice i have ever heard. Like an Angel......

Distant sun - I don't pretend to know what you want But I offer love -

I think that concert was never broadcasted here. I've thus never seen it.
So hopefully your information is correct, Angela, and it is going to be released.

And yes, that line in Distant Sun is truly amazing.

My favourite Crowded House song is Private Universe. The lines that do it for me are very cryptic, but they are sooooo beautiful.

Every night about six o'clock
The birds come back to the palm to talk
They talk to me, birds talk to me
If I go down on my knees
Old 07-31-2005, 02:48 AM   #25
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Don't walk. Don't run. Don't sprint. Hop in the nearest sports car, break every speed limit in sight, and drive as fast as that car will go to your neares ticketing outlet and GET TICKETS TO SEE THE FINN BROTHERS!
I had a ticket for their concert about six weeks ago. But then I got to work in Brussels (thus in another country) and I couldn't go. I heard from Salome (who'd bought my ticket) that it was a really good concert, very emotional indeed.

That night I comforted myself by seeing Suzanne Vega. She's good too (I bought her Best Of... as a result of that concert). But I did miss the Finn Brothers...
Old 07-31-2005, 02:53 AM   #26
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 08:23 PM
Quote:
You live in Wyoming? You mean someone seriously lives there?

(One of my friends' favourite jokes has something to do with the 'fact' Wyoming is an imaginary state. I think he said it comes from a Garfield comic strip ...)
LOL, yeah, believe it or not, people actually live here (there's a site that has made up slogans for the states-Wyoming's is "Why are you here?" ). I'm originally from Iowa, though. I'm in the northeastern part of Wyoming.

Quote:
I sincerely hope you get the chance to see the Finns at some point in your life. They are truly exceptional live - listening to some studio stuff now feels rather hollow for me, that's how good they were. The Enz stuff was the highlight of the night for me. Six Months In A Leaky Boat ...
LOL, wow...don't torture me! .

As for seeing them...heh, think they'd be interested in coming through Casper or Cheyenne, Wyoming, or Rapid City, South Dakota? I'd bet there'd be a nice little club somewhere in those places they could perform at...

Also, timothius, yeah, those lines work, too. "Whispers And Moans" would be another one to add just for the chorus alone ...

Angela
Old 07-31-2005, 03:00 AM   #27
Blue Crack Supplier

Oh, I also want to add this.
I have the version of Recurring Dream: The Very Best Of... with the live bonus disc. It has, besides the amazing sequence Live You 'Til The Day I Die -> Hole In The River, also the wonderful Sister Madly. During the song, the band breaks down (due to Paul missing a beat or so) and then they pick up the pieces to create something magical.
Old 07-31-2005, 03:19 AM   #28
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 10:23 AM
Yes yes yes yes yes yes yes to all things Finn.
Old 07-31-2005, 03:23 AM   #29
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 12:53 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by timothius

What about...

She says I could never do that,
But I know you can you are in my dream,
We're one person not two of a kind,
What was mine is now in your possession.

Don't get me started on You Can Touch & Whispers And Moans.
I add:

When you come across the sea
Me like a beacon guiding you to safety
The sooner the better now
And when you come the hils
Will breathe like a baby
Pulled up heaving from the bottom of the ocean
When you come to cover me with your kisses
Fresh like a daisy chained up in a lion’s den
I’ll know you by the thunderclap
Pouring like a rain of blood to my emotions

And that is why
I stumble to my knees
And why underneath the heavens
With the stars burning and exploding
I know I could never let you down

When you come like an iceberg float in darkness
Smashing my hull send me to the bottom of the sea
I should know you better now
When you come your majesty to entrap me
Prince of light receding
And when you come to cover me
With your kisses hard like armour
I’ll know you by the thunderclap
Pouring like a rain of blood to my emotions

And that is why
I stumble to my knees
And why underneath the heavens
With the stars burning and exploding
I know I could never let you down

She came out of the water
Into my horizon
Like a cumulo nimbus
Coming in from a distance
Burning and exploding
Burning and exploding
Like a slow volcano
When you come
Cover the ground with ashes
When you come

Old 07-31-2005, 04:16 AM   #30
Blue Crack Supplier

I also remember a magical festival performance of them here in the Netherlands. It was in 1994, just after Paul had left. They played this big festival here (Pinkpop, U2 played there too... in 1981). As it is usual in the Netherlands, the weather was miserable (rain, etc. just like it is today ). Mark went to the front where all the cameras were standing to get wet too and show some solidarity with the audience.
Anyway, they start playing There Goes God and fortunately the rain stops. Divine intervention or pure coincidence? Who knows, but when they play an extended version of Weather With You (the song now playing on my stereo) suddenly the sun comes through the clouds. That's no coincidence anymore...

*will maybe watch that footage again later this afternoon*