Crowded House Adoration & Worship Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Popmartijn said:
Oh, I also want to add this.
I have the version of Recurring Dream: The Very Best Of... with the live bonus disc. It has, besides the amazing sequence Live You 'Til The Day I Die -> Hole In The River, also the wonderful Sister Madly. During the song, the band breaks down (due to Paul missing a beat or so) and then they pick up the pieces to create something magical.
:faint:

That live disc is amazing in itself. The first 4 tracks off it are from Newcastle's Civic Theatre (all 4 members regard it as their best concert ever). I went to see the Finn's at the same venue 2 weeks ago where they made concert references to that night. All I had running through my head that day was "Good Evening Newcastle, what a great theatre this is, what a great day its been!.... what a great beach you have".

:combust:

That Double CD is my childhood from age 10-18

:up:

I've known Don't dream it's over and Weather with you for years but didn't really but their albums until the "U2 break" between ATYCLB - Bomb.

Since then I bought Temple of low men, Woodface :up: , Crowded house, Afterglow and that DVD with Johnny Marr, Eddie Vedder and two guys from Radiohead.
Am looking for Together alone but no luck so far.

Neil Finn has a great talent for writing pop songs, possibly the best that I've heard next to Fab four. Lovely voice too.
Favourite songs Better be home soon, She goes on and I love you Dawn.

U2girl said:
:
Am looking for Together alone but no luck so far.

My favorite.. I do not have Afterglow but always wondered if its any good.

And the dvd with Eddie and the others rock. The two songs with Neils son is a fun addition to the dvd.

Axver said:

Also, I'm confused about the list of songs for Woodface. There aren't that many on the CD, are there? Where'd the rest go?

Most of the Finn songs went onto Woodface (mostly because they were the best ones & partially to validate Tim's inclusion). The ones that didn't I believe went onto Tim's next solo CD "Before & After".

The Crowded House songs that didn't make the cut (which was all except for Fall At Your Feet, Fame Is, She Goes On & As Sure As I Am) were basically shelved. Recurring Dream got pulled out live on the Woodface tour a lot, a few other got a run once or twice...a couple become B-Sides.

Until Afterglow. That tied up all the lose ends (I Am In Love, Lester & Private Universe from the TA sessions) and placed all the obscurities together into what I consider a very free flowing georgous album. There are notes in the Afterglow booklet about the songs themselves.

I think I should add My Telly's Gone Bung & Anyone Can Tell were on the Woodface sessions as well. And I couldn't find Spellbound tonight bro, I'll have a look tommorow. :)

Crowded House always sounded better live. Maybe because I didn't grow up with them, I always felt that the production on their earlier albums sounded very canned and 80s. The only time I think that the production really matched the songs was Together Alone––one of my favorite albums ever and definitely the perfect beach/summer album. I think that had something to do with Youth, who produced the album and later went on to do the brilliant "Urban Hymns" with The Verve. It's a shame Together Alone is out of print in North America. I was able to find a used copy, which is how I got into it. Recurring Dream's Live album is
:drool:. I've tried to find some of their other live albums, but no such luck (something called Town and Country?).

Neil Finn's solo work isn't immediately as accessible as his work with CH or SE, but he's done some great songs regardless..."Turn and Run," "Driving Me Mad," "Try Whistling This." Would love to see him live...

timothius said:
I had no idea there was PinkPop footage.

There is a project here http://mytradinglist.co.uk/FOTT Productions/Finn Brothers.htm that is getting together Finn video etc... it doesn't look like its there would be great if we could all have a gander of what sounds like a magical moment. :)

I watched it tonight. :happy:
In the end the weather conditions were a bit different than they were in my mind. Still, Weather With You was pretty good, with Neil conducting the crowd. Seven songs of that set were broadcast:
- In My Command
- Fingers Of Love
- Private Universe
- Don't Dream It's Over
- There Goes God
- Distant Sun
- Weather With You

Yeah, Crowded House was great...

Popmartijn, that sounds like it was a really cool concert. Weird about the weather that day, too-that's freaky :)!

I haven't really seen much in the way of live stuff of the band. The only big one that really comes to mind is the "Sister Madly" video off of the "Dreaming" DVD, and then I've found a few other clips from various shows they appeared on. But they sure did come across great live in the few clips I've seen :yes:. And I've heard a few live versions of their songs, too-someone even sent me a CD one time of their concert at Daytona Beach from spring break of...1987, I believe it was. Really good show-it's particularly neat, 'cause they go from "Hole In The River" into "Don't Dream It's Over", and the way "Hole In The River" ends and segues into "Don't Dream It's Over" is just flat out cool. I understand there's video of it, too-I'd love to see that.

And blueeyedgirl, heh, yeah, "When You Come" gets quoted a lot for sexiest lyrics, too :D.

Angela

Moonlit_Angel said:
Popmartijn, that sounds like it was a really cool concert. Weird about the weather that day, too-that's freaky :)!

As I indirectly mentioned in my last post, the weather wasn't actually playing along as I thought it was. Although it did stop raining/pouring right after There Goes God (with Neil, at the start of the song, even saying that they needed divine intervention to make the rain stop), the sun didn't come out for Weather With You. Then again, you can say that the sun did came out for that song, as it uplifted the whole audience, who didn't mind the (slight) rain anymore, etc.
Yeah, it was good to watch that video again.
(especially since right before them there was the performance of the Urban Dance Squad :))

Popmartijn said:
As I indirectly mentioned in my last post, the weather wasn't actually playing along as I thought it was. Although it did stop raining/pouring right after There Goes God (with Neil, at the start of the song, even saying that they needed divine intervention to make the rain stop), the sun didn't come out for Weather With You.

Oh, okay. Didn't catch that in your last post.

Originally posted by Popmartijn
Then again, you can say that the sun did came out for that song, as it uplifted the whole audience, who didn't mind the (slight) rain anymore, etc.

Heh, true, very true.

Originally posted by Popmartijn
Yeah, it was good to watch that video again.

Good :). Wish I could've seen that.

Angela

Moonlit_Angel said:
LOL, yeah, believe it or not, people actually live here (there's a site that has made up slogans for the states-Wyoming's is "Why are you here?" :p). I'm originally from Iowa, though. I'm in the northeastern part of Wyoming.

Wow, I'm amazed! This is like discovering there actually is native human life in Australia. :wink:

Originally posted by timothius
Most of the Finn songs went onto Woodface (mostly because they were the best ones & partially to validate Tim's inclusion). The ones that didn't I believe went onto Tim's next solo CD "Before & After".

The Crowded House songs that didn't make the cut (which was all except for Fall At Your Feet, Fame Is, She Goes On & As Sure As I Am) were basically shelved. Recurring Dream got pulled out live on the Woodface tour a lot, a few other got a run once or twice...a couple become B-Sides.

Until Afterglow. That tied up all the lose ends (I Am In Love, Lester & Private Universe from the TA sessions) and placed all the obscurities together into what I consider a very free flowing georgous album. There are notes in the Afterglow booklet about the songs themselves.

Ah, awesome, thanks for the information! :up: I need to put on my copy of Afterglow sometime soon - unfortunately, the case was shattered on the way back from the US! :( The sole victim of my trip too.

But ... Private Universe is on the copy of Together Alone you sent me, so ... how come it's on Afterglow too?

Axver said:

But ... Private Universe is on the copy of Together Alone you sent me, so ... how come it's on Afterglow too?

The PU on Together Alone is known as the "Youthed-Up Version" with all the effects & atmospherics. The Private Universe on Afterglow is an alternate mix - essentially just Neil & an acousitc. Neil prefers the Afterglow version. I prefer Together Alone.

Crowded House are the Beatles of the '90s
TOGETHER ALONE is just fantastic...New Zealanders are blessed
Go The ALL BLACKS!

:up: :up: to jacobus!

All Blacks take on South Africa on Saturday. But that's a topic for a thread over on Put 'Em Under Pressure ... wait, that thread has Finn discussion, so why not some rugby here? :wink:

Axver said:
Wow, I'm amazed! This is like discovering there actually is native human life in Australia. :wink:

LOL :D. Well, hey, if and when you ever find yourself in Wyoming, now you won't be so surprised when you find humans wandering about :p.

Also, I actually kinda like the Afterglow version of "Private Universe" a bit more than the Together Alone one. But both versions are still great :).

I haven't really checked through our sports channels all that often, as I'm generally not much of a sports person to begin with (I...was not born to be an athlete. Yeah...). However, I do know that sometimes international games get broadcast on some of our sports channels we have...I should see if perhaps they happen to broadcast any All-Blacks games :D.

Does that make me lame? LOL...

By the way, I like the song Neil did for the team :yes:.

Angela

The Finns and U2 are the only "bands" that I will not miss under any circumstance.

Last saw the Finns at the magical Bellvoire Ampitheatre with Missy Higgins (who forgot the lyrics to her own songs). Nothing like a bit of brotherly competitiveness. Absolutely fantastic night. Also saw Neil fall off the stage (and keep playing - what a trouper) a few years ago with his son (Liam I think) here in Perth.

Great, great music. Disembodied Voices, Gentle Hum and Luckiest Man Alive off the new album are on constant play at the moment.

The Climber from 7 Worlds Collide and Eddie Vedder doing I See Red :drool:

Tania said:
The Finns and U2

Originally posted by Tania
Also saw Neil fall off the stage

Bono's done this, too...seems to be a common thing among the artists we like, huh? :p.

Great, great music. Disembodied Voices, Gentle Hum and Luckiest Man Alive off the new album are on constant play at the moment.

Great songs :up:. "Gentle Hum"...I listened to that one day this past winter, and looked out the window and snow was falling...it was a perfect mix :D. That's another beautiful song. And "Disembodied Voices"...heh, I can relate to that one in the sense that my sister and I have done the same thing Neil and Tim mention in that song-staying up late talking in the room we shared. I've said this to other Finn fans before, but I find hearing Neil's perspective on his relationship with Tim rather interesting, 'cause my sister's younger than me, and I always wonder if she has the same kinds of thoughts about me that Neil does about Tim? You know what I mean?

Also, "Luckiest Man Alive"...heh, I realize that that isn't the most popular song off of that CD, but I personally love it. The music in it is great, and the lyrics are sweet.

"Nothing Wrong With You" is one that I hold some fondness for...it means a lot to me. Anyone who's ever been alienated in life should hear that song :yes:.

And then the rest of the songs...I could go on and on about how great those are, too (hehe, love the line in "All God's Children" that goes, "We're all God's children, and God is a woman, but we still don't know who the father is." That's great :up: :D).

The Climber from 7 Worlds Collide and Eddie Vedder doing I See Red :drool:

Tomorrow, I will get it so I can mail out the money to buy that DVD off of Amazon.com. Yes.

Angela

Just want to chime in here that Crowded House/Finn Bros/Neil Finn are my 2nd favorite musical act after U2 and I'm a HUGE fan.
I've seen Neil solo 2x and the Finn Bros 2x and they are always TERRIFIC live, very down to earth and personable.

I absolutely would be at a record store at midnight for a DVD of Farewell to the World. That absolutely needs to come out sooner rather than later.

Re: songs/albums, Fall at Your Feet is probably my fav tune, Temple of Low Men is a grower, but for me the zenith of Crowded House was their epic final masterpiece, Together Alone. This album can seriously sit on a shelf with Achtung, Baby, Revolver, Automatic for the People and other such landmark albums and go head-to-head. The atmospherics of Together Alone are terrific and songs such as Private Universe and Catherine Wheel are positively chilling. I cannot recommend this album enough.

Mark Seymour. Yet another great songwriter. The Holy Grail would have to be one of the most underrated classics ever.:drool:

Hawkfire said:
but for me the zenith of Crowded House was their epic final masterpiece, Together Alone. This album can seriously sit on a shelf with Achtung, Baby, Revolver, Automatic for the People and other such landmark albums and go head-to-head. The atmospherics of Together Alone are terrific and songs such as Private Universe and Catherine Wheel are positively chilling. I cannot recommend this album enough.

Damn straight! That album is truly sensational. The opening three songs is one of the best opening trios I've ever heard.

Kare Kare :drool:
(I called for it at Brisbane 2005-07-22 but they didn't play it)

7 Worlds Collide is amazing.
I got to go and review Neil Finn in San Diego. Johnny Marr played with him.
Lisa germano was also in the band. i saw that show 3x plus an in-store appearnce in Cali.
Wonderful man.
Great attitude, warm heart.
it's like trying to tell someone why you love U2. good stuff.

Hawkfire said:
Catherine Wheel

I like the lyrics in that song :yes:.

Also, can I just say this? "Nails In My Feet"...:bow: :drool:... LOVE that song. Yes. Quite like the video, too...pretty colors and all that good stuff.

Iskra said:
I got to go and review Neil Finn in San Diego. Johnny Marr played with him. Lisa germano was also in the band. i saw that show 3x plus an in-store appearnce in Cali.

Wow, really?

That's pretty cool :up: :).

Originally posted by Iskra
Wonderful man. Great attitude, warm heart.

I can believe that. He seems like a really nice guy :yes:.

Originally posted by Iskra
it's like trying to tell someone why you love U2. good stuff.

Yep :).

Funny, I've met quite a few people who are fans of both the Finns and U2. Interesting, that. And cool :up:.

Angela

SING ALONG WITH ME EVERYONE!

Hey, don't look now, there goes God
in his sexy pants and his sausage dog
and he can't stand Beelzebub
cause he looks so good in black (in black)

Back
Top Bottom