Cricket World Cup - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 02-11-2003, 07:42 AM   #1
Refugee

Local Time: 08:22 AM
Cricket World Cup

well its not really the 'World' Cup because its only played in a select group of countries

anyway the australian cricket team is favourites again, if you think otherwise, they will shove it down your face that they are the best

one thinks if cricket got more world exposure this australian cricket team is the best more professional outfit, also the most arrogant, most brutish and most hated team in the world

in a nutshell, they make the likes of baseball's atlanta braves, basketball's la lakers, soccer's manchester united look like a bunch of friendly chipmunks asking for acorns from an elderly man sitting at a bench in a park

and oh well there's even more ammo for the team to be hated with breaking news today that the team's star player, in order to get over a serious injury he took some performance enhancing drugs to ensure he did play, but he'd probably give you the middle finger and sledge you to death if you tried to taunt him as 'a drug cheat'

Old 02-11-2003, 08:29 AM   #2
Jesus Online

Local Time: 08:22 AM
Re: Cricket World Cup

Quote:
Originally posted by CrashedCarDriver
one thinks if cricket got more world exposure this australian cricket team is the best more professional outfit, also the most arrogant, most brutish and most hated team in the world

Spoken like an Aussie! Its true. I suspect Betty may come in here and respond with how cricket culture is an underworld of greed, cheating, slurs, racism, arrogance and that Australia is one of the worst offenders. I look at our team and dont really doubt that. Funny thing is though, the more I hear about how bad our team is at this interpersonal interaction, there's more popping up involving many other cricketing nations. I got this email once and damned if I can find it anymore, but I think dad printed it out so if I ever get exceptionally bored I'll retype it, but its got all these apparently legit quotes of what exactly is said on the field between teams such as the poms, Windies and India I believe was another. And of course Aus had some of the worst.

Our halo fell off back in the days of when gentlemenly sportsmanship ruled the day, but others halo's are slipping too. Cricket is a free for all it seems.

Old 02-11-2003, 04:12 PM   #3
you are what you is

Local Time: 10:22 PM
the Aussie cricket team are winners
and they know that if you want to be regarded as a winner you have to act like a winner

sure it gets pretty ugly at time
but why should cricket be that much different from other sports in that regard?
“Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.”
~Frank Zappa
Old 02-11-2003, 08:21 PM   #4
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 07:22 AM
maybe warney is as dumb as he looks? did I hear someone say his mum gave him the drugs? bad mum!
well you know me and sport...not very informed , but I have my favourites. I didn't know the WCC had started. I just finished moving the lawn yesterday evening ( something I've hardly had to do this summer...took some doing, getting the beastly thing started) and sat down for a breather, with my trusty portable radio. I just happened upon the opening over.....Akram to Gilchrist. Wasim is my very FAVOURITE cricketer and Adam Gilchrist is a local boy, made good. It was exciting for me to stumble on that and have those particular two facing each other. I like the radio commentary, I can listen to it while I work. I later heard the commentator say, "Akram's penultimate over...the old man runs in"
THE OLD MAN!! my Wasim!!! OLD? It seems like only yesterday I watched the World Cup when Imran *drool* was handing over the reins/reign to him. And now he's "the old man" ( like Capt Parmenter from F -Troop "why you sir...you're the old man")I'll never forget the Pakistanis running around the oval with the trophy when they won that year.( and the "sorry I won the car" shirt)
I tried to find my Pakistan shirt to wear last night( atmosphere) so you may be able to guess who I hope wins.
I shoulda gone to the Gabba that year...I even had little placards made "ONYA IMRAN" "WELL DONE WASIM" "4".... "6".
you've got to be joking man, it was a present from me mother ( or father)....I don't like cricket....I love it!!!

PS: my dad is coming to visit next month, he played cricket as a young man. Watching it is still his favourite pastime, now he can't fish or garden or dance....much ( we love it when there's a test on..it's the only time he'll take proper rest) . I had a great score with 2nd hand books yesterday...a biography about Richie Benaud and a book by Allan McGilray. There was a great pile of others, but those two were the pick imho. I didn't want to overwhelm the old guy with too many to read.
I don't care who wins the Cup..as long as it's fair play. I love hearing Tony Grieg say "block hole" and "Wasim's going for the yorker" ouch!
You know the cricket is getting slow when the commentators start discussing what they had for lunch.

pakistan v australia final please.
Old 02-11-2003, 08:43 PM   #5
New Yorker

Local Time: 04:22 PM
Big Grin

Symo!
Old 02-12-2003, 10:23 AM   #6
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 09:22 PM
Australia is a good team - better than the rest. But there are a few teams out there that can beat them on the day.

Once we get into semis anything can happen - Aussies are fav but you cant underestimate S. Africans, Pakis, Indians, Lankans & West Indians. Its an open world cup.

England and NZ are most likely to forfeit points and they figuring in semis looks a bit difficult.

Canada's win was very pleasing to watch. Once Pak-Aus got over, I went on seeing that match. Even the canadian interferencers (deathbear..et al ) wont have watched that match

AcrobatMan
Old 02-12-2003, 10:28 AM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 09:22 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by cass

pakistan v australia final please.

did you not see it last time..in 1999

Btw, i am a big fan of the 2 Ws of Pakistani cricket
Old 02-25-2003, 07:53 PM   #8
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

D

WELL DONE WASIM
He took the lead , what a bowler!!
I just like the way he seems to enjoy himself so much. i don't get to see him play on TV very often, but he always seems to be
Old 03-22-2003, 10:03 PM   #9
Refugee

India...all the way

cass...your aussie and i love you....but...I'm sorry.
Old 03-23-2003, 06:03 PM   #10
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

it's OK Arun, it's all good cricket

I do rave on don't I..( up there about Akram, how embarrassing to re-read some of this stuff...Elvis , please bring back the edit button)
It's getting cold here again, winter soccer season about to begin.

YAY
I enjoy that too
Old 03-23-2003, 07:31 PM   #11
New Yorker

Local Time: 04:22 PM
Old 03-23-2003, 09:26 PM   #12
War Child

Greatness is redefined in One Day Cricket.

Hats off to Aussies
Old 03-26-2003, 04:54 PM   #13
Refugee

I got an indian cricket jersey as a gift from my dad

big up to all you aussies.