Cricket World Cup 2007

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

yertle-the-turtle

ONE love, blood, life
Well lovely. This tournament begins a day after I graduate from basic military training and most of the group fixtures land on my 13 day block leave before I receive my unit posting, so I'll be able to follow the early parts at least.

Who'd you reckon will win it? Despite the wobble I think Australia still remain favourites, followed closely by South Africa, India and West Indies.

If Australia had lost today, South Africa would have taken over us in the rankings.

Our world cup injury list now sits at : Andrew Symonds, Brett Lee and Michael Clarke, with Adam Gilchrist out indefinitely.

Should be great :D with our injuries maybe it might be a little intersting... here's hoping Kenya do well again! Who do we think will be the surprise packet?

There'll be no surprise packets this time around. One of the reasons Kenya got to the Semis at South Africa 2003 was because of all the political probelms that led to a forfeiture or two.

The tournament will be a farce until the Super 8 series starts. Records will be broken as weak nations such a Bermuda, Canada and bangaldesh continue to merely make up the numbers.

The ICC needs to get it through their thick skulls that although they might like to imagine cricket as a sport that can provide competitive international competition (like football), the reality is that there are only 8 competitive nations, all offshoots from Colonial Britain.

They should revert to the format used at the Australia/New Zealand '92 World Cup, where the top 9 nations played each other in a round robin format. Made much more sense...

My tip for the World Cup is South Africa. Aussies are lacking in consistency and team stability. Aussies should make Semis, but will be lucky to go any further.

Ah, Anna. You're right. I've neglected the Kiwis. If Bond remains fit (big ask though!) they've got probably the world's best fast bowler and a very very good batting line-up. Vettori's a world-class player too.

Everyone neglects the kiwis, lol. Nah, you're right, yert, they're a strong team. They've proved they can maximise any weakness in their opponents. I enjoy watching them play.
I've forgotten (or not paid enough attention?) to SA. Seems you guys are all backing them as real possibilities.

Very interesting lead-up. Another vote for the Kiwis here, at least as the team that has a much better chance than most people - for some bizarre reason - would give them credit for. Just look at their line-up. They can beat anyone on a given day if they stay focused, play with enough self belief and don't get down on themselves. Ross Taylor, Lou Vincent, Jacob Oram, Shane Bond, Daniel Vettori, Craig McMillan all in devastating form, even Fleming showing glimpses of his best.

This is not to discount the other big guns, which I'll admit I haven't observed as closely as those playing in the tri-nations in Aus. Speaking of which, England must be feeling very confident as well...

And rounding out the teams in the tri-nations, another Aus WC win somehow seems a little far-fetched at the moment. I'm an Aussie by the way. :'(

Again, not meaning to disregard the chances of the other 'big' teams which would have to feel confident as well. Is any one team completely dominating others at the moment? South Africa? I haven't been able to watch any of the overseas games, can only go by the scores... In any case I'm sure they can all whup Australia to pieces right around now. :p

But yeah I'll pick NZ as the 'dark horse'.

(But go Aus! Wakey wakey Gilchrist, time to bat properly..)

It's going to be a shit few weeks to be honest.

I'm not particularly looking forward to Australia playing Scotland or Bermuda play Bangladesh.

England-New Zealand should be intriguing though, as will India-Sri Lanka, and Aus-South Africa is always great.

there are 8 relevant teams...rest are just bought in to make for numbers..

so there are 8C2 relevant matches for semis - Pak Vs WI was a relevant match..Aus Vs Scot is irrelevant match. Any points gained in irrelevant match wont help for SEMIS...

28 matches

8 teams

So theoritically...you can win 5 relevant matches ( if 5 teams beat the other 3 teams ...and among themselves they beat each other in round robin way..) and still not qualify for semi...or win 2 relevant matches n still qualify..atleast in theory..........assuming no ties/draw...

There probably will be an upset (or two), in which a "relevant" team loses to an "irrelevant" team....and if this does has happen, it will turn the tournament upside down on it's head.

Fair effort by the Irish against Zimby. The Irish were also decent against the South Africans in a World Cup warm up. Ed Joyce is also from there...

Early days, but they could be a test nation in the not-too-distant-future

Well, holy shit, Herschelle Gibbs, take a bow. Six sixes in a single over. First time it's ever been done in an ODI. The South Africans got to 3/353 - in a game shortened to 40 overs a side! The Dutch are trying to get a semblance of batting together, 5/83 as I type, but goodness, this is a huge no-hoper.

Impressive work by the Irish yesterday too - shame they didn't pull off the win! They had a chance to take the final wicket with the Zimbabweans needing two runs to tie, but the fielder put the catch down. What this does illustrate, though, is how terribly Zimbabwean cricket has declined since the start of the decade when Zimbabwe had the talent to come within a hair's breath of downing Australia.

And after some early jitters, the Black Caps are making defeating England appear to be a formality. Styris and Oram have certainly put a great partnership together - and Oram's showing he's not just a one-trick pony and knows how to bat at a more sedate pace when that's what's required.

I don't believe New Zealand will ever win a Cricket World Cup, but if it's ever going to happen, this year's the year going by the strength of our squad. Maybe we're a chance for the final. But I don't know if even that will happen. Semis? At least we've done that before.

Talk about upsets.

Bangladesh on course to beat India but more amazingly Ireland need just 93 runs and have 8 wickets in hand against Pakistan.

This could be the World Cup upset of World Cup upsets. Come on Ireland.

Now the whole tournament really has been turned on it's head with the elimination of Pakistan and Bangers' win over India

It makes it a bit more interesting with the "underdogs" winning the occasional match, perhaps england could follow suit and cause an upset, & actually win a match!

Back
Top Bottom