Cricket World Cup 2007 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 02-18-2007, 05:53 AM   #1
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 06:08 PM
Cricket World Cup 2007

Well lovely. This tournament begins a day after I graduate from basic military training and most of the group fixtures land on my 13 day block leave before I receive my unit posting, so I'll be able to follow the early parts at least.

Who'd you reckon will win it? Despite the wobble I think Australia still remain favourites, followed closely by South Africa, India and West Indies.

Old 02-18-2007, 05:59 AM   #2
45:33

Local Time: 09:08 PM
If Australia had lost today, South Africa would have taken over us in the rankings.

Our world cup injury list now sits at : Andrew Symonds, Brett Lee and Michael Clarke, with Adam Gilchrist out indefinitely.

Should be great with our injuries maybe it might be a little intersting... here's hoping Kenya do well again! Who do we think will be the surprise packet?

Old 02-18-2007, 06:08 AM   #3
Blue Crack Addict

At This Rate, Australia will be the surprise packet and not make it past the super 8 stage.
Old 02-18-2007, 07:42 AM   #4
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 08:08 PM
There'll be no surprise packets this time around. One of the reasons Kenya got to the Semis at South Africa 2003 was because of all the political probelms that led to a forfeiture or two.

The tournament will be a farce until the Super 8 series starts. Records will be broken as weak nations such a Bermuda, Canada and bangaldesh continue to merely make up the numbers.

The ICC needs to get it through their thick skulls that although they might like to imagine cricket as a sport that can provide competitive international competition (like football), the reality is that there are only 8 competitive nations, all offshoots from Colonial Britain.

They should revert to the format used at the Australia/New Zealand '92 World Cup, where the top 9 nations played each other in a round robin format. Made much more sense...

My tip for the World Cup is South Africa. Aussies are lacking in consistency and team stability. Aussies should make Semis, but will be lucky to go any further.
Old 02-18-2007, 07:57 AM   #5
Jesus Online

My vote is the kiwi bros.
Old 02-18-2007, 08:35 AM   #6
Refugee

Local Time: 11:08 AM
Aus v SA final if they are kept apart. Easy answer I know
Old 02-18-2007, 10:50 AM   #7
ONE
love, blood, life

Ah, Anna. You're right. I've neglected the Kiwis. If Bond remains fit (big ask though!) they've got probably the world's best fast bowler and a very very good batting line-up. Vettori's a world-class player too.
Old 02-19-2007, 04:43 AM   #8
Jesus Online

Everyone neglects the kiwis, lol. Nah, you're right, yert, they're a strong team. They've proved they can maximise any weakness in their opponents. I enjoy watching them play.
I've forgotten (or not paid enough attention?) to SA. Seems you guys are all backing them as real possibilities.
Old 02-19-2007, 06:07 AM   #9
The Fly

Very interesting lead-up. Another vote for the Kiwis here, at least as the team that has a much better chance than most people - for some bizarre reason - would give them credit for. Just look at their line-up. They can beat anyone on a given day if they stay focused, play with enough self belief and don't get down on themselves. Ross Taylor, Lou Vincent, Jacob Oram, Shane Bond, Daniel Vettori, Craig McMillan all in devastating form, even Fleming showing glimpses of his best.

This is not to discount the other big guns, which I'll admit I haven't observed as closely as those playing in the tri-nations in Aus. Speaking of which, England must be feeling very confident as well...

And rounding out the teams in the tri-nations, another Aus WC win somehow seems a little far-fetched at the moment. I'm an Aussie by the way. :'(

Again, not meaning to disregard the chances of the other 'big' teams which would have to feel confident as well. Is any one team completely dominating others at the moment? South Africa? I haven't been able to watch any of the overseas games, can only go by the scores... In any case I'm sure they can all whup Australia to pieces right around now. :P

But yeah I'll pick NZ as the 'dark horse'.

(But go Aus! Wakey wakey Gilchrist, time to bat properly..)
Old 02-20-2007, 05:06 AM   #10
ONE
love, blood, life

Holy cow.

Who's not taking notice of New Zealand now?
Old 02-20-2007, 05:21 AM   #11
Jesus Online

Yep.

Unreal, huh? I love this competition. Cricket has sorely lacked it. This is great!
Old 02-22-2007, 01:42 AM   #12
Blue Crack Addict

Warnie to come back for the Cup?
Old 02-25-2007, 04:32 AM   #13
45:33

Quote:
Originally posted by bono_man2002
Warnie to come back for the Cup?
No, but as I understand it due to his man of the match performance in the Gillete Twenty20 Bryan Strauchan will replace the pathetic Shane Watson.
Old 03-13-2007, 08:51 AM   #14
Blue Crack Addict

So it begins today!
Old 03-13-2007, 07:57 PM   #15
ONE
love, blood, life

It's going to be a shit few weeks to be honest.

I'm not particularly looking forward to Australia playing Scotland or Bermuda play Bangladesh.

England-New Zealand should be intriguing though, as will India-Sri Lanka, and Aus-South Africa is always great.