Cricket World Cup 2007 - Page 8 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 04-28-2007, 11:24 AM   #106
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:55 PM
When The Rain comes

Old 04-28-2007, 07:57 PM   #107
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 04:55 PM
I think it's all over, it is now......and a collective sigh of relief is audible across the world as one of the most ghastly sporting tournaments in living memory is finally behind us.

That farcical conclusion to the Aussie/Sri Lanka match was SO appropriate.

The burning question to come out of the tournament: Will it soon be RIP 50-over cricket?

Old 04-29-2007, 02:50 AM   #108
45:33

Quote:
That farcical conclusion to the Aussie/Sri Lanka match was SO appropriate.
I know, wasn't it? That are pretty much the exact words I have been saying all day long.

What a terrible World Cup. Every match was boring, it was far too long, there were about two close games for the tournament, a coach was murdered and they couldn't eeven close it out appropriately. If it had of been 50 overs SL mighta had a shot.
Old 04-29-2007, 06:53 AM   #109
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Indeed, the Lanky Bastards were pretty unlucky. Had a strong partnership happening between the Jayameister and Sangers, only for rain interruptions, some very bad light, a barely visible ball, and the confusing D/L system to stand in their path.

It was a crap tournament but mind you, Africa 2003 was pretty shite too, with all the politics overshadowing the game.
Old 04-29-2007, 03:38 PM   #110
Refugee

Local Time: 06:55 AM
Well, there are far more knowledgeable cricket fans on this thread than me, but I'd just like to say congratulations to the Aussies, surely the GREATEST sports team EVER!
Old 04-30-2007, 04:23 AM   #111
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 07:55 AM
Old 05-01-2007, 03:11 AM   #112
45:33

Were you rolling your eyes at the comment above or the tournament?

Cos if it was the comment above I would like to see your suggestion of a greater team.
Old 05-01-2007, 03:12 PM   #113
Blue Crack Addict

great legends retired with this tournament too.... mcgrath, lara.
Old 05-01-2007, 06:41 PM   #114
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by COBL_04
Were you rolling your eyes at the comment above or the tournament?

Cos if it was the comment above I would like to see your suggestion of a greater team.
Probably just at cricket in general.
Old 05-01-2007, 09:22 PM   #115
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Cricket's fucked anyway.

The sport is a has-been, the end is nigh....
Old 05-01-2007, 09:51 PM   #116
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 08:55 AM
It's been several years since I even watched one day cricket! Five day test matches.. forget it! The sport takes too fucking long to play. lol
Old 05-01-2007, 10:23 PM   #117
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

I read an excellent sports marketing book, each chapter was a case study in, basically, an example of sports marketing excellence around the world and how it was done. One chapter was on the Chicago Bulls basketball team, who, after Michael Jordans retirement "greatest athlete of all time" blah blah, actually raised their corporate sponsorship, season ticket sales etc when all indicators would be that they'd hit a slump. How it was done, stuff like that. Another chapter was dedicated to Australian cricket. Apparently they had the same guru there for decades. The premise of the chapter was basically, how on earth is this thing still going? How does it attract and retain anyones attention? How on earth did they do it in the first place, and how did they keep it running? Coming from an American sports marketing perspective, looking at cricket from a bit of a distance without any emotional/historical attachment, it was just a ridiculous proposition that this thing, with this structure, can attract and retain anyones attention and passion, yet it does so on such a large scale. The Aus Cricket guy was surprisingly blunt, and said yes, it is all a bit of Emporers New Clothes, all smoke and mirrors. That 90% of all cricket is bullshit and meaningless, but the key is keeping the focus away from the concrete results and achievements and instead drowning everyone in myth and aura, make sure everything is cloaked in a story that transcends the actual reality of the event at hand. He said something like "We play, essentially, 90% exhibition games, yet we dress them all up like Grand Finals and have consistently done so forever, and that's the key."

Probably not the most eloquent summary of why the sports success was found to be so staggering, or how it was achieved, but that's sort of it.
Old 05-29-2007, 01:26 AM   #118
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally posted by Earnie Shavers
I read an excellent sports marketing book, each chapter was a case study in, basically, an example of sports marketing excellence around the world and how it was done. One chapter was on the Chicago Bulls basketball team, who, after Michael Jordans retirement "greatest athlete of all time" blah blah, actually raised their corporate sponsorship, season ticket sales etc when all indicators would be that they'd hit a slump. How it was done, stuff like that. Another chapter was dedicated to Australian cricket. Apparently they had the same guru there for decades. The premise of the chapter was basically, how on earth is this thing still going? How does it attract and retain anyones attention? How on earth did they do it in the first place, and how did they keep it running? Coming from an American sports marketing perspective, looking at cricket from a bit of a distance without any emotional/historical attachment, it was just a ridiculous proposition that this thing, with this structure, can attract and retain anyones attention and passion, yet it does so on such a large scale. The Aus Cricket guy was surprisingly blunt, and said yes, it is all a bit of Emporers New Clothes, all smoke and mirrors. That 90% of all cricket is bullshit and meaningless, but the key is keeping the focus away from the concrete results and achievements and instead drowning everyone in myth and aura, make sure everything is cloaked in a story that transcends the actual reality of the event at hand. He said something like "We play, essentially, 90% exhibition games, yet we dress them all up like Grand Finals and have consistently done so forever, and that's the key."

Probably not the most eloquent summary of why the sports success was found to be so staggering, or how it was achieved, but that's sort of it.
Can you remember what the name of the book? It sounds like somthing right up my alley for a bit of train reading.

At it's core the thing with cricket, at least in Australia, is that it pretty much has had a monopoly on national team sport since federation. Nothing even comes close, league has a limited international competition, AFL has none, Union is only followed by the upperclass in the east. Thus cricket has the benifit of having contributed a lot to Australian national character; the Don, the Invincibles, World Series Cricket, the tied test and even the underarm. That's not to say it isn't hyped up to stupid proportions by the ACB & C9 (whose commentary is absolutely nauseating).

It's the same with baseball in America from what I can gather, somehow they draw big crowds for 128 game seasons per team - simply because it is the national past time. Some would argue soccer will assume that position in the future after what happened last year with the World Cup, but my bet is that it is just another America's Cup - patriotism simply because they are on a new and novel world stage.

And let's face it isn't all sport just smoke and mirrors it doesn't tangibly mean anything - thats the beauty of it.
Old 05-29-2007, 03:57 AM   #119
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally posted by timothius

At it's core the thing with cricket, at least in Australia, is that it pretty much has had a monopoly on national team sport since federation. Nothing even comes close, league has a limited international competition, AFL has none, Union is only followed by the upperclass in the east. Thus cricket has the benifit of having contributed a lot to Australian national character; the Don, the Invincibles, World Series Cricket, the tied test and even the underarm. That's not to say it isn't hyped up to stupid proportions by the ACB & C9 (whose commentary is absolutely nauseating).
You'll find that soccer will eventually surpass cricket as Australia's national team sport.

Already more people prefer to play it, and many more women would rather watch soccer. Those against change will fight hard to try and preserve cricket's national "meaning."

I too, would like than name of das book.
Old 05-29-2007, 06:52 AM   #120
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally posted by intedomine

You'll find that soccer will eventually surpass cricket as Australia's national team sport.

Already more people prefer to play it, and many more women would rather watch soccer. Those against change will fight hard to try and preserve cricket's national "meaning."
Barring an open door immigration policy (and Rudd does look good at the moment) - I would wager that the change will not happen in my life time. The top players regularly put club ahead of country, and the players that do in the A-League compete are decidedly third rate. If they were to miss the next WC I feel that it would be the death nail. Unless Australia were to compete in the top 10 regularly, or the A-League was to somehow attract top line players it's just not going to happen. It's the same with the US.

Participation rates mean not a whole lot, in NZ soccer has had more numbers than Rugby Union for decades yet in terms of national psyche the national men's badminton team the Black Cocks garners more support.