Cricket World Cup 2007 - Page 7 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 04-19-2007, 01:19 AM   #91
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 10:03 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Axver

I completely disagree. That kind of tournament would be thoroughly worthless as they would only be playing teams of equal calibre and never experience any higher competition, thus their skills won't improve much. They already play plenty of games amongst themselves and it's just not doing enough good.

Zimbabwe was almost in the eight at 2000. They would be there now if it weren't for Mugabe. I'm sure we all remember the game in Perth in the 2000-01 season where Zimbabwe would have beaten Australia if it hadn't been for an inspired move of Andrew Symonds' fielding position that cut two crucial attemps at two runs down to one run each.

Kenya too imploded due to politics, I think this time it was a pay dispute and trouble within their hierarchy.

And Bangladesh? How can you say they're struggling just as they find their feet! They're downing India and South Africa and just need a bit of time for their young team to find consistency. They're really just like some of Australia's new bowlers like Tait (shit one day, great the next), except on the level of an entire team. When they all fire on the same day, they can beat just about anyone.

So I think the minnows that prove themselves need to more regularly meet the top eight. Ireland could annually play England, that would do them wonders. An African competition featuring South Africa, Zimbabwe, and Kenya would probably be a good idea - we all saw what heightened southeast Asian competition has done for Sri Lanka and now is doing for Bangladesh. I'm not saying to throw them in at the deep end, but at least an annual series against decent opposition. Access to the domestic competitions in top flight countries like England and Australia is pretty crucial too, so that the minnows' players can gain more match practice.

The cricketing calender is already jam-packed with too many irrelevant tournaments as it is.

I'm fine with the occasional match or tournament featuring a "minnow", but I just don't think that some of these matches between Australia- Namibia, Sri Lanka-Ireland deserve full One-Day International status. Sure the team might be getting experience against world class opposition, but what use is facing just the one ball from Glenn McGrath and being dismissed? Cricketing records are looking farcical.

One Day Cricket is in severe strife around the world anyway. 20/20 will probably eclipse it in regards to popularity within 5 or 6 years.

And what about "real cricket"? We cannot have Ireland and Kenya playing test cricket, not yet anyway. The only way to ensure these nations are test-ready is by having a B-competition, where the 5-day matches are hyper competitive and on a regular basis.

Probably the greatest hurdle regarding the Dutch and the Irish and the UAE is that ultimately, the passion for the sport of cricket is not there.

Old 04-19-2007, 10:53 AM   #92
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:03 AM
England's one-day cricket is compared to the rest of the world's every four years..... and is found lacking, over and over and over again.

Old 04-20-2007, 05:09 AM   #93
45:33

Local Time: 11:03 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Babydoll
England's one-day cricket is compared to the rest of the world's every four years..... and is found lacking, over and over and over again.
Don't forgot their soccer team as well
Old 04-20-2007, 12:35 PM   #94
Blue Crack Addict

English sport in general, then.
Old 04-21-2007, 04:04 PM   #95
Blue Crack Addict

Bob Woolmer's killer is closer to being identified...
Old 04-21-2007, 11:05 PM   #96
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:03 AM
Brian Lara.

A modern great.
Old 04-22-2007, 01:09 AM   #97
Blue Crack Addict

Sad day. To think he was run out for a low score and lost in his last match for his country.

Old 04-23-2007, 03:20 AM   #98

What I think is the great shame is that Brian Lara, agrubably the greatest player of the 15 years or so, came into the team as the Windies were already in a steady decline. He missed out on their golden era.

Champion.
Old 04-23-2007, 08:51 AM   #99
Blue Crack Addict

I wonder if the Windies can ever recreate their glory days?
Old 04-24-2007, 03:23 AM   #100

It'll take a while I think. They don't have a very strong bowling line up.
Old 04-25-2007, 01:32 AM   #101
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:03 PM
Brian Lara will be missed. Exceptional batsman.

Come on, Proteas. Give those Aussies a bloody good bliksem today... If South Africa manage to win, I'm simply going to have to cough up the money to watch the final on satellite.
Old 04-25-2007, 03:39 PM   #102
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:03 PM

On the bright side, I won't need to fork over 200 dollars for one match.
Old 04-25-2007, 10:15 PM   #103
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 10:03 AM
Bloody hell, South Africa vs. Australia, what a boring match!

Some World Cup this has turned out to be, an absolute snorefest of a semi final.

One Day Cricket is gonna be hurting after this sad excuse for a major international tournament
Old 04-26-2007, 12:49 AM   #104

^ I know, Australia has made it incredibly boring. There has been no competition whatsoever. The Eng vs WI game was the best game of the tournament. I reckon the Aussies will flog Sri Lanka in the final. It won't be close or exciting. Australia will make 350 then bowl them out for 150.
Old 04-26-2007, 10:41 AM   #105
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 07:03 PM
There have been very few truly exciting games in this World Cup. The Sri Lanka/South Africa match was one, and Ireland provided a few, but many of them really have been non-competitive.