Cricket World Cup 2007 - Page 6 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 04-07-2007, 05:23 PM   #76
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 01:00 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by U2 Beginner
Go Bangladesh!
Can't believe Bangladesh beat South Africa!

Old 04-10-2007, 08:26 AM   #77
45:33

Local Time: 11:00 PM
*rools: at the impending NZ/Aus game*

Old 04-11-2007, 09:03 PM   #78
New Yorker

Local Time: 12:00 PM

Habibul Bashar

It took England 40+ overs to reach the 144 target! Surely if Bangladesh bowled first, they would've beaten them, if that was the case!

Btw, Monty Panesar is my brother's friend's brother. Just thought I'd share that. He's a Luton lad! But at him for getting some wickets today!
Old 04-14-2007, 09:46 AM   #79
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:00 AM
Now that I'm off from university for four months, I can actually pay attention to the World Cup. Looking forward to SA/NZ today! I have to make do with live scorecards though...fuck Canadian satellite and their ridiculous subscription prices for the WC.

Ugh, Smith's already out...well done.
Old 04-14-2007, 11:49 AM   #80
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by U2 Beginner

Btw, Monty Panesar is my brother's friend's brother. Just thought I'd share that. He's a Luton lad! But at him for getting some wickets today!

I know that you can't see it but I'm making a very impressed face at the screen.
Old 04-15-2007, 05:49 AM   #81

10 overs in... South Africa were about 2/7.

What a joke.
Old 04-15-2007, 08:19 AM   #82
Vocal parasite

The South Africans were 2/3 at one point, and 2/12 after 10 overs. Absolutely pathetic. The Kiwi bowlers just shut down the batting entirely and Fleming's captaincy was impeccable. His introduction of McMillan to the bowling attack was pure genius.

So, now Australia and New Zealand have both qualified, and this has also guaranteed Sri Lanka's qualification. The fourth spot can be claimed by South Africa, England, West Indies, and Bangladesh, but only the first two have realistic possibilities of doing it. Stephanie's going to shoot me, but despite my prior predictions of South Africa making the semis, I now think they could pull their traditional choking act and Graeme Smith's naive attitude towards net run rates will allow England a back door entry to the semis at the Proteas' expense.

Also, while the Black Caps could still finish first, it looks like we'll be in the 2nd vs 3rd semi, against Sri Lanka. I think that actually won't be so bad. When we lost - narrowly - to them, it was on a pitch that favoured the team bowling first. That likely won't transpire in the semis, and we'll want some revenge. Plus, it will maintain our 1 for 1 ratio we've had with Sri Lanka this year; over the New Year's period, we tied a test series 1-1 with them, followed by an ODI series 2-2! Now can we make it 1-1 in the World Cup and go on to our first final?

... I still don't believe it could happen.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 04-15-2007, 08:07 PM   #83
Vocal parasite

Aaand the Irish just beat Bangladesh by almost 100 runs! Good on them! I was really hoping they would pick up another win. That's two victories against test class opposition for the Irish.

I now just hope the ICC actually does something useful and encourages the Irish team with games against good quality opposition so that they can hone their skills and perform more consistently at this level. They especially need more experience against fast bowling, as the game against Australia vividly demonstrated.

"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 04-16-2007, 11:35 AM   #84
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:00 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Axver
Stephanie's going to shoot me, but despite my prior predictions of South Africa making the semis, I now think they could pull their traditional choking act and Graeme Smith's naive attitude towards net run rates will allow England a back door entry to the semis at the Proteas' expense.
I won't shoot you, because I'm agreeing with you at this point. When you're two for bloody three, you don't deserve to advance. I don't know what has happened to South African sport, I really don't. We'll see how it goes tomorrow. I'm not overly optimistic.
Old 04-17-2007, 02:04 AM   #85
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 10:00 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Axver

I now just hope the ICC actually does something useful and encourages the Irish team with games against good quality opposition so that they can hone their skills and perform more consistently at this level. They especially need more experience against fast bowling, as the game against Australia vividly demonstrated.
Not a good idea. Cricketing records have already been made completely farcical by the attempts to integrate Kenya, Bangers and Zimby into the Elite 8. Zimbabwe's lack of progress unfortunately, has come down to politics rather than a lack of talent. For the past couple of years they've been fielding their 5th string team.

What Ireland needs, along with Bangers and the other "minnows" out there, is for the ICC set up a hyper-competitive B Division in world cricket, featuring: Bangers, Zimby, Ireland, Canada, Holland, Scotland, Kenya and one of USA/Namibia/UAE.

They play "tests" and one-dayers against each other as regularly as the Elite 8 do, and the prize at the end of a 5-year-cycle: Promotion to the Elite 8, at the expense of the most under-performing Elite side in both forms of cricket during that cycle.

Even set up a C division possibly......

The best way for the sport to maximise it's international appeal
Old 04-17-2007, 07:53 AM   #86
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally posted by intedomine
Not a good idea. Cricketing records have already been made completely farcical by the attempts to integrate Kenya, Bangers and Zimby into the Elite 8. Zimbabwe's lack of progress unfortunately, has come down to politics rather than a lack of talent. For the past couple of years they've been fielding their 5th string team.

What Ireland needs, along with Bangers and the other "minnows" out there, is for the ICC set up a hyper-competitive B Division in world cricket, featuring: Bangers, Zimby, Ireland, Canada, Holland, Scotland, Kenya and one of USA/Namibia/UAE.
I completely disagree. That kind of tournament would be thoroughly worthless as they would only be playing teams of equal calibre and never experience any higher competition, thus their skills won't improve much. They already play plenty of games amongst themselves and it's just not doing enough good.

Zimbabwe was almost in the eight at 2000. They would be there now if it weren't for Mugabe. I'm sure we all remember the game in Perth in the 2000-01 season where Zimbabwe would have beaten Australia if it hadn't been for an inspired move of Andrew Symonds' fielding position that cut two crucial attemps at two runs down to one run each.

Kenya too imploded due to politics, I think this time it was a pay dispute and trouble within their hierarchy.

And Bangladesh? How can you say they're struggling just as they find their feet! They're downing India and South Africa and just need a bit of time for their young team to find consistency. They're really just like some of Australia's new bowlers like Tait (shit one day, great the next), except on the level of an entire team. When they all fire on the same day, they can beat just about anyone.

So I think the minnows that prove themselves need to more regularly meet the top eight. Ireland could annually play England, that would do them wonders. An African competition featuring South Africa, Zimbabwe, and Kenya would probably be a good idea - we all saw what heightened southeast Asian competition has done for Sri Lanka and now is doing for Bangladesh. I'm not saying to throw them in at the deep end, but at least an annual series against decent opposition. Access to the domestic competitions in top flight countries like England and Australia is pretty crucial too, so that the minnows' players can gain more match practice.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 04-18-2007, 01:27 PM   #87
Blue Crack Addict

South Africa beat England.

Old 04-18-2007, 02:13 PM   #88
Refugee

Local Time: 12:00 PM
Its official, England are total SHITE at all MAJOR team sports!
Old 04-19-2007, 12:49 AM   #89

I'm piiiiiissed at Sri Lanka. Resting Murali and Vaas was a farce and underlines why this world cup has just been almost a complete joke.

My God Englad SUCK....

Man I hope Australia New Zealand is close... I so sick of 100 run victories by the Aussies every game.

And a big and definitive to the officials. No food, no drink, no musical instruments and increased ticket prices (especially in the Caribbean) was a very poor move and has given the World Cup an unnecessary air of snobbery.
Old 04-19-2007, 12:51 AM   #90

As for the whole minnow situation, I agree with intedomine. I'm sorry but what good is getting Ireland to play heavyweights like Australia, Sri Lanka, etc all the time. They are going to get thoroghly SMASHED 95% of the time, that will do very very little for their development, both skill-wise and psychologically.