Cricket World Cup 2007 - Page 5 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive

Old 03-23-2007, 06:15 PM   #61
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 04:55 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Axver
I really do wonder what on earth happened to cricket being "the gentlemen's game". Then again, I suppose that's been an illusion at best since Bodyline, and, well, calling any Australian team of the last thirty years "gentlemen" is a bit of a laugh.

But, to get back to current action, Sri Lanka have just been sent in to bat by India in the crucial Group B match. I'm so tempted to pull an all-nighter. Sri Lanka have the edge on most statistics, except for the rather notable one that in the last nine meetings these teams have had, the team that's batted first has lost eight times. But stats can mean nothing on the day of the game. I'm hoping the Sri Lankans will win this, as I think it'd be awesome if Sri Lanka and Bangladesh were the two to go through.

And also, I'm thoroughly delighted with the performance of the Black Caps so far. 3 wins from 3. Maybe this is our year to ... uh ... get to the semis again? I was having a daydream earlier that we'd actually won, but I suspect that will forever be a daydream and nothing more.
New Zealand have as good a chance as anyone in winning the whole thing.

It is one day cricket after all, not exactly a Test of a team's ability to outwit their opponent over the course of up to 5 days. And with talented one-day players such as Oram, McCullum and the brilliant Shane Bond, if they can all step up on any given day, the Kiwis will seriously threaten for the title.

The only teams I would rule out (besides those who have already been eliminated) is Bangaldesh, and probably England, Kenya and Ireland.

Old 03-23-2007, 07:24 PM   #62
Vocal parasite

Aaaaand INDIA ARE OUT! Unless Bermuda somehow upset Bangladesh, the Indians are gone!

Wow. Bob Woolmer's death aside, this may be the best Cup ever, simply due to the fact that the minnows have really stepped up. A Super Eight without India or Pakistan would have been unthinkable just two weeks ago.

Quote:
Originally posted by intedomine

New Zealand have as good a chance as anyone in winning the whole thing.

It is one day cricket after all, not exactly a Test of a team's ability to outwit their opponent over the course of up to 5 days. And with talented one-day players such as Oram, McCullum and the brilliant Shane Bond, if they can all step up on any given day, the Kiwis will seriously threaten for the title.

The only teams I would rule out (besides those who have already been eliminated) is Bangaldesh, and probably England, Kenya and Ireland.
The problem with the Black Caps is that although we probably have our best team ever (or at least best in a long time), we have an amazing talent to snatch defeat from the jaws of certain victory when the pressure's on. Just look at what happened in the triangular series with Australia and England earlier this year! In contrast, a team like Australia always seems to rise to big occasions like this. I think the upcoming Australia vs South Africa match will be a preview of the final.

Personally, I think it's pretty safe to rule out Bangladesh and Ireland from claiming the title. The upcoming England vs Kenya game to decide Group C's second qualifier will probably be good: England should win, but Kenya can pull off surprises on their day. If Kenya pulls off a stunner, I don't think they'd get to the title, but if England go through, I say not to write them off - we all saw what happened earlier this year in Australia.

Old 03-24-2007, 06:45 AM   #63
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

The main thing going against NZ is the non-presence of the legendary ever-aging, eternal-chromedome, Chris Zinzan Harris.

What a class act he was, with his unique but effective bowling style. A master of the "doorknob".
Old 03-24-2007, 08:41 AM   #64
New Yorker

Local Time: 05:55 AM
C'mon Bangladesh!! Get through to the next round and you'll each be £1,000 richer!!!!
Old 03-24-2007, 03:18 PM   #65
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 01:55 PM
Damn Australia-South Africa matches are always exciting and this is no exception.
Old 03-24-2007, 03:31 PM   #66
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:55 AM
South Africa look like they can make it though.... 171/1. Wow...
Old 03-24-2007, 06:55 PM   #67
Vocal parasite

Wow, Australia really upped the intensity and South Africa lost by 83 runs!

And the English managed to ease past the Kenyans, setting up an Ireland vs England clash in the Super Eight.
Old 03-24-2007, 09:04 PM   #68
45:33

Quote:
Originally posted by Axver
I really do wonder what on earth happened to cricket being "the gentlemen's game". Then again, I suppose that's been an illusion at best since Bodyline, and, well, calling any Australian team of the last thirty years "gentlemen" is a bit of a laugh.
Excuse you. Anyone who can't hit a rolling ball to the boundary is weak in my eyes.

So Bangladesh are basically through, unless Bermuda can do the unthinkable. I hope Kenya get through. England have been an embarrasing blight on this World Cup so far. They barely even beat Canada.
Old 03-25-2007, 06:13 PM   #69
Vocal parasite

Well, we have our Super Eight now:

Australia
South Africa
Sri Lanka
Bangladesh
New Zealand
England
West Indies
Ireland

Two great surprises there; I'm eagerly awaiting what should be a fiery England vs Ireland clash!

And DAMN, Lou Vincent broke his wrist in training and is going home. There's a blow the Black Caps didn't need. Hamish Marshall is his replacement - the wannabe answer to Andrew Symonds that failed. Ugh. At least Mark Gillespie has been passed as fit, Shane Bond is managing to keep his fragile health together so far, and I'm not disappointed that Daryl Tuffey's going home because Chris Martin's probably a better bowler than him.
Old 03-25-2007, 08:26 PM   #70
New Yorker

Local Time: 05:55 AM
Go Bangladesh!

Now, the super 8 round will be good lessons for Bangladesh. As the team is mainly kids, they can take away something from the experience of playing against the big teams, so this will help their future.

Sorry for sounding biased if I do!
Old 03-26-2007, 07:45 PM   #71
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:55 AM
As a Canadian who (a)is somewhat ignorant about the sport and (b)knows her country never stands a chance in cricket anyway (unless and until they start playing it on ice ), I say GO IRELAND!!

As seriously as Cdns take hockey, it's never resulted in murder That poor coach and his family Has there been news of any progress in the investigation?

Old 03-27-2007, 02:30 AM   #72
Vocal parasite

Well, the latest news on cricinfo is that the Pakistani team themselves have been cleared of all suspicion in Woolmer's murder.

The Super Eight starts tonight with Australia vs the Windies. My picks for the eventual semi-finalists, in alphabetical order:

- Australia
- New Zealand
- South Africa
- West Indies

Sri Lanka could easily take the place of one of those four, I think most likely the Windies or the Black Caps if our injuries make life difficult.

Ireland and Bangladesh won't progress unless there's a miracle, and well, I wouldn't be putting money on England either. That said, maybe they'll stun us all like they did earlier this year in the triangular series.
Old 03-27-2007, 03:04 AM   #73
45:33

Crap! England won! You s!

Final Four: Australia, Sri Lanka, South Africa and New Zealand or the West Indies (Depends on two things:- 1. If Shane Bond can remain injury free and perform at a very high level and Jacob Oram continues his lower order destroyation and 2. the Windies bowlers can back up their batsmen by bowling well)

Last Two: Australia and Sri Lanka. SL/SA game will be very intersteing. Aus/SL is on Nine tonight!
Old 03-27-2007, 03:24 AM   #74
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally posted by COBL_04
Aus/SL is on Nine tonight!
No it's not. It's Australia vs the Windies.

About fucking time we got some cricket on free-to-air. I'm not looking forward to pulling an all-nighter though.
Old 03-28-2007, 08:08 PM   #75
The Fly

What a spell by Lasith Malinga - four wickets in as many balls (across two overs)! So very close to bringing SA unstuck when they looked to be cruising to a modest total.

As for SA's performance against Aus the other day, I'd have to agree with those who singled out Kallis for his slow scoring - he's a rock-solid batsman, and his focus and tenacity have won them many games, but under the circumstances of chasing down a 350+ total it's not enough to have a Mr Steady As She Goes facing that many balls. Reminiscent of Stephen Fleming's recent knock against England in the tri-nations decider for who would go on to smash Australia. Starting with a reasonably comfortable chase for NZ, Fleming batted too conservatively for his century as if trying to grind his way back into some form - and you'd have to say that he did - but it cost NZ the match in the process by leaving the rest of the team with too much to do.

Am very keen to see the interesting match-ups of Windies vs NZ tomorrow, and then SA vs NZ later in the tournament. Hopefully Ross Taylor will have fully recovered by the SA match as I think his talented, aggressive batting is crucial for NZ's success especially with the loss of Vincent. Although the way Shane Bond is pounding his own batsmen in the nets and the injuries are mounting, anything could happen. Ironic if Bond's good run without injury is the biggest setback for the team? :P Or to put it another way, if match fixing investigations become more serious and the attention should ever turn to NZ (no I can't imagine it either), look no further than Shane Bond?

On the possibility of match fixing, and hoping that this won't offend any hypersensitive types (lighten up), could coach Bob Woolmer's last pep talk to Inzy have sounded something along the lines of this ? (Work warning for language)