Cream of the Crop Top 30 of 2002

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tchlowlife

The Fly
This is usually a top 20 of each year, but this past year was so great for music that I had to drop into a bigger set. So If any of these albums interest you or perk your curisoity please check it out. Also I would like to see other people's lists. Some may have some already made, and you others should. If you are big music fans, then this is definetely a nice conversation starter as well as way to retrospect the past year.

enjoy.

30. Sigur Ros - ()- It sounds beautiful and angelic but not much as changed, they pulled the huge orchestras out to put more guitars in and this album is definitely more tense but not a breakthrough like the first.

29. Flaming Lips-Yoshima Battles the Pink Robots- Just couldnt get into it, every other song is nice, and the first 5 tracks sold me but things slowly fall apart towards the end. No parade, maybe I will grow into it.

28. Godspeed You Black Emperor!- Yanqui X.O.U.- I consider these guys that next best thing in music, but they havent changed enough for me. this is why it is in the 20s. Fell prey to the same thing as Sigur Ros.

27. Belle and Sebestian- Storytelling- A nice document to a wonderful film, although only about 4 minutes of the entire album made it to the movie.

26. Doves- Last Broadcast- I hope it isn't their last; not the grandest note to leave on. Again not as good as their earlier works: Lost Souls!

25. Beck- Sea Change- It is nice but seems to drag on a bit, I feel safe with it in the 20s. kinda a let down from such a genuis

24. Eels- Souljacker- Great fun! not as powerful as electro-shock blues. But thick on noise.

23. Division of Laura Lee- Black City- This one surprised me, but it kept my attention nice dynamics; old-skool punk then mellow Joy Divisionesque stuff.

22. Sleater Kinney- One Beat- Rob will be mad at me for this; but it didnt have the replay value to put it in the top 20. and such a great year in music this is still a strong spot. the song Combat Rock sounds just like Siouxie and the Banshees! ;-P

21. Muse- Hullaballoo- This is only this far back because it is a collection of Bsides and a Live Cd. And also because there was never a domestic release of this album. Still wonderful! I had to have Muse on this list especially after Origin of Symnetry.

20. White Stripes- White Blood Cells- this started the year off great. But unlike most, this album didnt open my eyes to The White Stripes so it didnt carry that lifechanging quality; that goes to their sophmore release Der Stil.

19. Tom Waits- Alice, Blood Money- 30 years in and he still entices my ears. Great albums from the Hobo Idol.

18. Dj Shadow- Private Press- sounds a bit outdated but grows on ya.

17. Sonic Youth- Murray Street- Anyone that listened to this would understand.

16. South- From Here on In- I felt like this album was great, the intro perked my ears. In the same vein as Hood, Spoon, Elbow.

15. Streets- Original Pirate Material- this one is a thank you to Justin on my floor for his radio hook-ups. I had this in my hands months before domestic release and it saved me from all the hub bub later on.
just great, think morrissey Mc'ing; well maybe not ;-)

14. Clinic- Walk with thee- Weird scientist rock, minamal yet pyschodelic.

13. RJD2- Deadringer/ El-p -Fantastic Damage/El-p -FanDam - a three way tie, from the greats of the hip hop scene. Deadringer and Fandam are great hip hop instrumentals. and Fantastic Damage is what New York hip-hop is all about.

12. Spoon- Kill the Moonlight- very much like Clinic in my eyes. a wonderful album that feels nostalgic yet new.

11. Flashpan- New Soul- from our very own Brayton Clevenger. Nearly the entire album was created in the dorm. Great talent, huge ambition, hopefully he doesn't drown in it. Anyone that gets their hands on this gem will agree it is a sleeper hit. naive experence will get brian off the ground. If you are interested in this CD tell me.

10. Queens of the Stone Age- Songs for the Deaf- A great Hard Rock album. Really brings the Man out in Ya. It is a nice way to recollect my younger tastes in early grunge rock. After all, it is still; HICK with Brains.

09. Xiu Xiu- Knife Play- weird! hard to understand or what to. I think it is ingenius and rad! maybe scarier than Bauhaus.

08. Wilco- Yankee Hotel Foxtrot- groundbreaking, really threw me for a loop the first week or two. and their record company tried not to release it! now it is on everyone's top ten lists. Great, but not as powerful now.

07. Aesop Rock- Labor Days- ok well I mess up a couple of times, this one came out in last year, but wasnt domesitically released to the rest of the world let alone Indiana 'till this year. This guy opened me up to the world of "underground" hip hop.

06. Coldplay- A Rush of Blood to the Head- More of a punch to the head. Their first album was a kinda poke, this was definetly the slap in face. As outspoken and louder this sounded, it was still playing it safe like U2 has been doing.

05. Interpol- Turn on the Bright Lights- What can I say, it was right up my alley. and yes maybe that is because of the bogus joy division analogies.

04. Elbow- Asleep in the back- Wow, was america asleep to this one! no big deal, I got it. This one has really blown me away. Coldplay with distortion, and organs. Not a bad debut album, especially from a band that has enough under their belts to make any woman happy.

03. Peter Gabriel- Up- not to accessable, dense, tense, unnerving and depressing. But still downright addicting for me. It is hard to say no to Peter Gabriel growing up on his music.

02. Liars- They Threw us in a Trench and Stuck a Monument on Top-There is no "The", F^$%ing RAD. If this is where music is going then they will be kicking you off the Bandwagon, and they will hope you get caught under the wheels. These guys are great, the perfect mix of noise, and australian art kids. The last group of austrialain art kids tearing it up was The Birthday Party; that has got to say something!

01. And You Will Know Us By The Trail of Dead- Source Tags and Codes- We've Come a Long Way! These guys really blew my mind on their sophmore release Madonna, and they came close, very close to matching it's sheer force here again. These top 4 groups are half of what I would want to be in a band. Each and every listen the album only gets better, and it is a mystery to me; but i love it!

So that is it, hope I dont lose any friends over this one. It was much fun, especially to listen to these albums over and over again, and watch them race to the finish line like a horses. But I think I can live with this conclusion.

the year was also a good one for Greatest Hits, which I thought would not fit on the "top 20" or "30". but Tricky and Leonard Cohen put out some wonderful compilations of their work which are worth noting. and there was a U2 best of, as well as a Bjork best of. If you dont have any work from these artists consider grabbing these four Cds you wont regret it; I did and I have each artists entire catologue.

I also have to mention the Jurasic 5 Quality Control, Fugazi's Argument, Isis's Oceanic, Primal Scream's Evil Heat, the Donnie Darko soundtrack mainly for the last 4 tracks. Red Hot Chili Peppers, Tori Amos, Ghost's Hospital, Mount Sims, Books, Death Cab for Cutie, Chris Deluca and Peabird, Enon, Black Heart Procession and especially Weezer's Maladroit which had the 30 spot for the longest time.

Here are mine. I can't put them in order, though. :slant:

The Delgados -- Hate

Seafood -- When Do We Start Fighting

The Streets -- Original Pirate Material

Gemma Hayes -- Night On My Side

Idlewild -- The Remote Part

Doves -- The Last Broadcast

Electric Soft Parade -- Holes In the Wall

Jack Johnson -- Brushfire Fairytales

Coldplay -- A Rush of Blood to the Head

Interpol -- Turn On the Bright Lights

Josh Rouse -- Under Cold Blue Stars

Ron Sexsmith -- Cobblestone Runway

Royksopp -- Melody AM

Jesse Malin -- The Fine Art of Self-Destruction

Simian -- We Are Your Friends

Kid Galahad -- Gold Dust Noise

Ikara Colt -- Chat and Business

The Libertines -- Up the Bracket

Kathryn Williams -- Old Low Light

Beck -- Sea Change

Aqualung -- Aqualung

The Reindeer Section -- Son of Evil Reindeer

Augie March -- Strange Bird

Haven -- Between the Senses

Tracy Chapman -- Let It Rain

Richard Ashcroft -- Human Conditions

Ryan Adams -- Demolition

Sigur Ros -- ()

That's all I can think of off the top of my head.

I would have included South and Elbow, but they were released in the UK in 2001, so I'm going by the original release dates, otherwise my list would be too confusing.

meegannie said:
Jesse Malin -- The Fine Art of Self-Destruction

This isn't bein' released in the US until the 28th of this month though.

Damn me didn't know that...my friends across the ocean were raving about it, so I go to the store like a ninny and try to find it. :der: :laugh:

I can't come up with 20 that will be enduring for me (for example, I like Doves "Last Broadcast" but I don't really listen to it much), but here are my faves:

Scarlet's Walk - Tori Amos
By the Way - Chili Peppers
The Rising - Springsteen
Sea Change - Beck
Jerusalem - Steve Earle

and reliable sources tell me that I will add Neil Finn to the list as soon as I hear it. :)

very comprehensive list, tchlowlife.

if you haven't already, check out '!!! (chik chik chik)' and 'out hud.'

Bonochick said:

This isn't bein' released in the US until the 28th of this month though.

Damn me didn't know that...my friends across the ocean were raving about it, so I go to the store like a ninny and try to find it. :der: :laugh:

I used the original release dates because a lot of the CD's I listed will probably never be released in the US :down:

I can send you a copy of the Jesse Malin CD if you want. So you don't have to wait so long. :)

meegannie said:

I can send you a copy of the Jesse Malin CD if you want. So you don't have to wait so long. :)

:hyper:

I would so love that......................I've been dying for it!!!!!!

I haven't heard of half the bands you all mentioned...

:scratch: Where do you guys find this stuff?

I bought about 6 albums last year:

Coldplay - A Rush of Blood to the Head
Peter Gabriel - Up
Damien Rice - O
Kylie Minogue - Fever
Doves - Last Broadcast
David Gray - Midnight something or other

Yeah hi. :wave: Queen of mixed CD's...

Last edited:
Angel said:
I haven't heard of half the bands you all mentioned...

Damien Rice - O

O is a BEAUTIFUL album. :love:

I learn about bands from reading about music online....it's all I do all day at work. :shifty:

Well thank you all for the insights.

No disk: I have checked out !!! and I like most of the stuff, weird noise distortion funk, it is fun.

Ultraviolet, and many others out there, I am a huge Godspeed you black emperor fan, and although they seemed to bearly breach the top 30 their music is phenomenal.

But anyways, if you want some wonderful albums of theirs check out...
Lift Your Skinny Fists Like Antennas To Heaven : a double Disc set, that is tan coloured with hands on the cover, it is only 4 tracks but each song is 20+ minutes.

and

Slow Riot for New Zero Kanada- also a great album!

other stuff like this that is good.

Fly Pan am
Exhaust
Explosions in the sky
Rachels
A silver mt. Zion
spiritualized.

these all fit this kind of "space rock" orchestrated noise ensemble thing.

Hello,

A top 30? Hell, I even had trouble with a top 7 in another thread. Last year I bought around 50 CD's, but most were from before 2002. Yeah, I know; I'm always a bit late with catching up. Let's see what did year will bring.

C ya!

Marty

P.S. Any top 20 or 30 of 2002 without Solomon Burke is not a complete 'best of 2002' list.

best albums of 2002

Here is my list for best albums of 2002

1>Neil Finn - One All (absolutely amazing; especially driving me mad, wherever you are, and human kindness - its among his best work)
2>RHCP - By the Way (the chilis better kiss John Frusciante's feet because without him, they are only capable of mediocre uninspiring music - just listen to the disasterous One Hot Minute from 1995. everything frusciante does turns to gold)
3>Elvis Costello - When I Was Cruel - his best album since Trust. Every song is great. Especially the james bondish title track. Does anyone else hear this but me.
4>Bruce Springsteen - The Rising (its nice to hear a solid album from bruce again - highlights are Nothing Man, Waiting on a Sunny Day, and Your Missing)
5>Weezer - Maladroit (they are on a one album per year pace - wish U2 could manage this)
6>Beck - Sea Changes (this album would be number 2 on my list if Beck included Ship in a Bottle on the album instead of releasing it just as a bside - what was he thinking, this tune is amazing)
7>Joe Strummer - Global a Go-Go (even though it was released in 2001, i only got to hear it this year - he will be sorely missed)
8>Doves - Last Broadcast - could have been better (Words is amazing)
9>Audioslave - A bit of a letdown considering the talent that made this but its better than another chris cornell solo album
10>Oasis - Heathen Chemistry (not as bad as everyone says it is - the hindu times, stop crying your eyes out, and born on a different cloud are tops).

11. Flashpan- New Soul- from our very own Brayton Clevenger. Nearly the entire album was created in the dorm. Great talent, huge ambition, hopefully he doesn't drown in it. Anyone that gets their hands on this gem will agree it is a sleeper hit. naive experence will get brian off the ground. If you are interested in this CD tell me.

What kind of music is this? I've never heard of it.

Neil Finn - One All needs to be up there
beautiful album

otherwise I think you have an awesome musical taste and I will look into several of these.
oh to have money

Its threads like this that make Bang and Clatter one of my favorite forums.
Now if only I was independatly wealthy I could have all these albums and spend all my time listening........ahhh one can dream I guess......

:|

Back
Top Bottom