Crappy bosses

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

indra

ONE love, blood, life
TALLAHASSEE, Fla. - For most people, it's back to work Tuesday after a holiday weekend with family and friends. And for many, a new study shows, it will be under a bad boss. Nearly two of five bosses don't keep their word and more than a fourth bad mouth those they supervise to co-workers, the Florida State University study shows.

And those all-too-common poor managers create plenty of problems for companies as well, leading to poor morale, less production and higher turnover.

"They say that employees don't leave their job or company, they leave their boss," said Wayne Hochwarter, an associate professor of management in the College of Business at Florida State University, who joined with two doctoral students at the school to survey more than 700 people working in a variety of jobs about how their bosses treat them.

"No abuse should be taken lightly, especially in situations where it becomes a criminal act," said Hochwarter.

Employees stuck in an abusive relationship experienced more exhaustion, job tension, nervousness, depressed moods and mistrust, the researchers found. They found that a good working environment is often more important than pay, and that it's no coincidence that poor morale leads to lower production.

"They (employees) were less likely to take on additional tasks, such as working longer or on weekends, and were generally less satisfied with their job," the study found. "Also, employees were more likely to leave if involved in an abusive relationship than if dissatisfied with pay."

The results of the study are scheduled for publication in the Fall 2007 issue of The Leadership Quarterly, a journal read by consultants, managers and executives.

The findings include:

- 39 percent of workers said their supervisor failed to keep promises.

- 37 percent said their supervisor failed to give credit when due.

- 31 percent said their supervisor gave them the "silent treatment" in the past year.

- 27 percent said their supervisor made negative comments about them to other employees or managers.

- 24 percent said their supervisor invaded their privacy.

- 23 percent said their supervisor blamed others to cover up mistakes or to minimize embarrassment.

Workers in bad situations should remain optimistic, Hochwarter said.

"It is important to stay positive, even when you get irritated or discouraged, because few subordinate-supervisor relationships last forever," he said. "You want the next boss to know what you can do for the company."

And workers should know where to turn if they feel threatened, harassed or discriminated against, whether it is the company's grievance committee or finding formal representation outside the employer.

"Others know who the bullies are at work," Hochwarter said. "They likely have a history of mistreating others."

Hochwarter also recommended some methods to minimize the harm caused by an abusive supervisor.

"The first is to stay visible at work," he said. "Hiding can be detrimental to your career, especially when it keeps others in the company from noticing your talent and contributions."

The survey was conducted by mail. Workers surveyed included men and women of various ages and races in the service industry and manufacturing, from companies large and small, Hochwarter said.

link

I haven't held a "real" job in over a decade (yippie!! :) ), but still distinctly remember several bosses who did every one of the highlighted things. In some of these cases I couldn't help but wonder how on earth the person every got the job in the first place as they really had no clue. One of my bad bosses was hired from outside the company for the position, so it wasn't just a case of not knowing what else to do with her. She would have me detail exactly what she was supposed to say in meetings and such because she didn't know, but would never give me any credit whatsoever and would blame me for any and all errors and actively discredit me to everyone she could (much which I would find out from other managers who knew and liked me).

What made her actions even harder to tolerate was that she was replacing one of my better bosses. Sure this guy was a a pompous, sometimes overbearing little twit (he was just a year or so out of college and very aware and proud of his status as an up and coming young manager), but he he made sure he knew his job, was willing to take blame for fuck ups as well as credit for successes, and would always give credit where credit was due. If she had been willing to do even most of the same she would have had a good solid employee who was willing to put in extra when needed. The look of sheer horror on her face when I told her I was leaving was priceless though. ;)

So let's hear about your sucky bosses. :)

brentdancebw.jpg

My real boss is pretty cool, he's really into what he does so it works.

My internship "boss" however....yeah I have to put boss in "". She's known behind her back as the Blonde Bimbo. She only got her job b/c her mom owns the company. Her idea of marketing experience is the parties she organized with her sorority. She's annoying, dumb, and downright inappropriate. Her side job is having sex toy parties, which is fine, except her real job is at a sports facility geared towards kids 18 mos - 8th grade, so when she's selling sex toys or arranging parties from her (visible) cubicle it's pretty awkward. She leaves work at 2:30 for a chiropractor appointment and then doesn't come back in even though the other office staff stay until 5 and the gym is open until like 9. Part of her job is filling in for the receptionists. One time the full time one was sick, the part time one was on her honeymoon, but Bimbo just didn't want to come into work that day so one of the coaches had to sit at the desk. She can't even follow the simplest of procedures and pretty much messes everything up.

I'm trying to think of a TV character for reference....so far the closest I can think of is Reese Witherspoon in Legally Blonde.

ahhh David Brent :love:

Lies I would be so :mad: having to deal with someone like that, I bet you end up doing half her work for her, and you can;t say anything cause her mum is your big boss!

I had a supervisor once. She had a son my age and kept pushing him on to me (even though i had a boyfriend) by saying things like 'you're young, you don't need to staying in just one relationship' and 'sean (her son) last girlfriend said he was "Very good" if you know what i mean' which i did and felt :barf: about her mentioning it.

When i turned her down repeatedly, she invited him to drinks and made him sit next to me, he was soooooo creepy, and fully did the boobie brush to get his drink (yeah reaaaaaaal smooth) so i told him to fuck off. BIG MISTAKE.

Basically my supervisor changed on me, spread rumours about me told my other supervisor that i hated her (causing her to cry!) monitored my calls, READ MY EMAILS and highlighted passages that were not 'professional' stood at the door with a watch to call me back in right as my lunch ended and it went on and on. It was just small victimisations, nothing to really complain about which was THE WORST. I left after 8 months, my co workers wrote a big complaint to head management about her (as other workers had left as well as me for various reasons concerning her) and she was moved to another area. Its always the way, never fired just moved around to make some other peoples jobs hell.

It made me realise something too, that grown ups can be just as bitchy, immature and mental as some psycho 16 yr old. That scared me.

dazzlingamy said:

Lies I would be so :mad: having to deal with someone like that, I bet you end up doing half her work for her, and you can;t say anything cause her mum is your big boss!

Half? Try all. Trust me it was better to just do it and shut up, rather than let her screw it all up.

I have the best boss ever. I wish I could clone her for all my friends :drool:

I'm lucky like Sicy. My boss is awesome. Shes the sort of person you can go to with a personal problem and she really cares about all of our team if we're down or ill. Shes always trys her best for us at work so workwise shes a great boss too. And shes fun when we go out for staff do's. Best boss ever. :drool:

^ sounds like mine! She's like a second mom to me. If I'm upset or have a personal problem she actually caters to me. She never gets upset, mad, angry ever. She is always in a good mood and always looks for the positive in everything. Plus she lets me sit online all day.. as long as I get my work done :wink:

The same reason people post about how much they love Keane in a Keane sucks thread maybe? :hmm:

^ :lol:

U2Man we're just proving there are good bosses out there. :wink:

Yeah Sicy mine is like my 2nd Mum. I can't even count the amount of times i've been upset about stuff or ill and shes been all motherly with me and sent me home. :heart: I don't get to play on the net though. Its against work policy, no one can do it. :grumpy:

Back to topic, my best friends boss is grumpy, bad tempered and unpredictable. HJes just an idiot really. Rather her than me. :uhoh:

Liesje said:
I'm trying to think of a TV character for reference....so far the closest I can think of is Reese Witherspoon in Legally Blonde.

But Reese Witherspoon's character in those movies was actually very intelligent and very successful at whatever she tried! She found ways to succeed. So your "boss" is not like her at all!

I have had some bad bosses, but the worst was one company where I reported to three different men. I started the job reporting to the "manager" of the group. I asked him on my first day exactly what I should work on and with whom. He kind of hand-waved and just expected me to talk to people to see what needs to be done. I later realized that he had no idea of what needed to be done (and I was a bit inexperienced myself at that time). I then got a boss between this "manager" and me. This man had the experience - in some areas, but not in mine. I'm a scientist who develops assays and analyzes samples. This new boss never really let me properly develop an assay (and there are strict guidelines for doing so). As soon as I got something - anything - he bombarded me with samples. This is wrong for so many reasons (mostly the quality of the data). This other lady and I worked our butts off, including weekends, while he sat at his desk looking at the computer asking if we had the data yet.

Ultimately, the "manager" grew tired of his act and got yet another person. This guy was a polar opposite - he knew his stuff. But he was also a workaholic and an ass. I was putting in 50 hour weekdays. I was scolded for not working more on the weekends! When I complained to my "manager" (who never worked weekends) about this, all he said was that other people worked weekends. I repeated that I didn't mind working weekends when I had to do so, but I didn't want to be scolded for not working more free overtime! And he just repeated that other people worked weekends. He was the most clueless man I have ever met. Totally over his head in this position - yet, he was promoted to a director!!!

This new workaholic ass rubbed just about everyone the wrong way (barring some of the women who reported to him - he did treat them differently...). Plus, he was extremely sensitive and gossipy. For example, I was doing a bunch of legit computer work, entering tons of data into a spreadsheet for further calculations. I put in a CD, put on some small headphones and listened. He came over to me, claimed he could hear the music coming out of my headphones and it was disturbing him. It's not like he sat next to me. I think he just didn't like the fact that I might actually enjoy myself while working! In his mind, there was to be no music anywhere at any time. It was his way or no way and people really hated him fast. Frequently, he'd gossip about people (probably me as well). In hushed tones, he'd bitch about Person A to Person B. Then he'd go to Person C and bitch about Person B!! It was sad. The workaholic was also very proud of himself. He bragged to me about working 88 hours one week - that's in one week, not a pay period! Eventually all the other managers grew to hate this man so bad that he too was replaced.

I reported to the clueless boss for 11 months, and the workaholic boss for 1 month. The clueless boss gave me a glowing review (as I basically saved his butt several times). The workaholic boss's review was horrid - and that's the review that became "official". I couldn't believe it! I left that job after just 14 months (would have left sooner if I could have!).

However, karma kicked in. As I wrote above, the "manager" stripped the clueless boss of his powers and eventually he was let go during a round of lay-offs. The workaholic ass was also stripped of his staff - he chose to leave. The "manager" that was promoted to a director was also let go - the best part is that he was totally clueless that a lay-off was happening! He was the first one they let go! I guess even the company got tired of his utter failures.

That was a sad, pathetic company. I escaped between rounds of lay-offs and went to a job that was far better (although eventually fizzled). But I was never so happy as the day I left that company. I liked many of my coworkers, but not many above me. For example, after a round of lay-offs, where about 150 people lost their jobs, many managers were promoted to directors and many directors were made vice presidents!!! Isn't that a slap in the face of those who were let go? The company still exists, but just barely. The went from having 500 people and $500M in the bank, to about 75-100 people and just hanging on.

The moral of the story is that if you treat your employees like crap, eventually you'll get yours.

Last edited:
Liesje said:

Half? Try all. Trust me it was better to just do it and shut up, rather than let her screw it all up.

Yeah, and this was at the place I used to work for too. Any of the work Lies didn't do, didn't get done. Therefore, we who depend on this bimbo moron suffered...

Now, moving on to today. I quit that job and thought maybe we were moving. Those plans didn't work out right? Whatever, i worked landscaping and now retail. So, my old boss I found out from someone today, was talking about me. Someone asked ,"Didn't a guy named Phil work here?" Answer, "Yeah, he kind of fell off the face of the earth." Person asking about me, "I heard he was working at Bed, Bath and Beyond." My old boss, sarcastically, "Yeah, he's really moved up in the world."

Meanwhile, I've decided for the first time ever in my life that I want to go for something. I'm going back to school to be a teacher. The above makes me so mad b/c who is he to say shit like that behind my back. He doesnt' know what's going on. So why say stuff like that and make me look bad.

oh well, he's just a drop out who's worked at this gym for so long he's dating a girl whom he coached when she was 8. He was 20 then. :ohmy: Did I say taht out loud? :|
edit: he's 32 now and she's 19. It's all ok I guess.

Last edited:
You know what I said? Yeah, if working at BB&B is moving up in the world, what does that say about him as boss, huh? Yeah, he SUCKS that's what :madspit:

Yeah and he dates that kid who looks 12 (she might as well be 12 since she's tiny and they've had her at the gym since she was a tot).

My old boss was a total ass. He yelled at me and made me do all kinds of shit that I really don't think was part of my job (I was just a bagger...). like involving full garbage bags twice my size full of rotten meat that had a tendency to break. And he was just anal and an idiot, and made just really rude comments. quite a few people ended up quitting and having blow out arguments with him right before leaving. not just teenagers but full grown adults who realized what an ass he was.

it was funny, my mom said she went shopping recently and he was doing the whole manager routine, carried out her groceries for her. she said when she mentioned that her daughter used to work there, the look on his face was priceless. apparently he realizes what an ass he is and probably wondered what I'd told her about him. :lol:

don't know if this counts, but my old lead (she sure wishes she was actually the boss) in a department i worked in several months ago was a total bitch.

the job wasn't really that demanding, just answering phones. however, some people in the department found the work to be too demanding and would ignore the phones, leaving one or two people to answer all incoming calls. so, they started taking away priviledges. now, that doesn't piss me off so much as the fact that these people who weren't working never really got a talking to. they'd get yelled at, but it was all empty threats. no write ups or anything like that.

she'd lord over you and pace back and forth while you were on the phone to make sure you were doing your job. she'd bitch if the phones were ringing. well, if she got her ass back in her chair and helped answer calls, we wouldn't have been busy.

after i transferred out though, it got even worse. a friend of mine who still worked over in that department told me they were fucking around with people's schedules, making them work swing one night, grave the next, then day shift the next day. she'd take away people's set days off to cater to people she preferred, and not allow anyone to have weekends off, i guess because they told her the leads couldn't be off on weekends anymore. (of course since they made the schedule, you know they gave themselves exactly what they wanted.) so not only could no one have weekends off, think about it too how busy it'd be, having to try to cram everyone's days off during the week.

there was all kinds of crazy shit going on, and my friend had to go the union so many times, and eventually transferred to another department. as far as i know the lead is still there. it's fucked up though that she's basically untouchable. i doubt they'd ever fire her, she's been with the company for a while so they consider her some kind of asset.

the second one was my boss. she was a workaholic and expected everyone to be one too. the difference was, i didn't get paid like she did, plus i was hourly. it's like, hello, you can't say no overtime and then get pissed when we work just 40 hours! i think she was just pissed that she had to work all that extra time.

the thing i remember the most was after i had my car accident. i told her well in advance there was one day i couldn't come in because i had no transportation, so i didn't know what to do. she suggested i call a taxi. riiiiiiight. it's not like i didn't take the job seriously, but call a taxi? i lived about 30 minutes away. and i didn't see her or anyone else in my department offering to give me rides.

plus, i got nothing but hassle from her about my doctor's orders. they instructed i be able to get up and stretch every hour. (we're talking i stand up at my desk and walk around for a minute) no can do. they instructed i needed a headset because it was too much of a strain on my neck to put the phone on my shoulder. i got a bunch of excuses. when i finally gave in and went "fuck it, i'll just talk to my doctor about going on disability" they didn't like that either. they seriously expected me to be 100% back to normal after less than a week.

there's a lot more about that bitch i could probably talk about, stuff even not related to health issues but i can't think of any right now.

Ah memories...

One of my 'bosses' could not remember anyones name so he called everyone 'Buddy'.

When he left I was in charge of his goodbye card ~ I made sure that everyone signed it 'Buddy'.

:angel:

Back
Top Bottom