Crapaud, Prince Edward Island Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd be fucked now if I decided I wanted to do Digital Media (whatever the fuck that is).

I'm hopefully serious about flying, I think I'm finally comfortable with the fact that I'm going to be horribly in debt. From all of the research I've done I've determined that already having a degree will only be beneficial, plus it leaves me with something to fall back on should it not work out.

Ah, well, that's good then - that you're comfortable with it and have something to fall back upon, I mean. Similar logic has prompted me not to ditch my PolSci major; if I can't make a career in academia, I'm sure I can find one somewhere within the state bureaucracy.

So how much bullshit do you need to go through to be a pilot?

I feel so blessed/lucky/whatever to have parents that don't try to push me in any one direction. I wouldn't know what to do if they were just like "So you're going to be a doctor, off to school with you.'" Doing a job I hate the rest of my life? Thnx no

Yep, my folks have encouraged me in every way they could. Bless them, though it's entirely possible I could let them down.

Ultimately, you have to decide what you can live (and, better yet, thrive) with and go from there. I have a very good idea of what that is, so go me. :up:

I'm in the same boat. I have a love and passion for the work I do, but it's not lucrative in the slightest. Kind of sucks, but it's not worth pursuing something you already hate, I figure.

/youthful optimism

Same way I feel. I want to pursue something that will likely leave me financially crippled for 10+ years.

But it's better than hating my life.

I'm in the same boat. I have a love and passion for the work I do, but it's not lucrative in the slightest. Kind of sucks, but it's not worth pursuing something you already hate, I figure.

/youthful optimism

Yeah, I figure it makes no sense to pursue a career you don't want just because you see dollar signs. Especially since that's often an illusion created by society and convenient analysis of statistics. Sure, I could probably make a lot of money as a lawyer like my father thinks I should be, but fuck that. I'd rather hang myself. Academia may not always be as lucrative, and it may be hard to get a foot in the door and establish yourself (especially in some fields), but it's what I'm passionate about. New Zealand socio-political history is my field, and I damn well intend to make a career of it come hell or high water.

Same way I feel. I want to pursue something that will likely leave me financially crippled for 10+ years.

But it's better than hating my life.

It's tough to argue with that.

Ask anyone about these things, and they'll always tell you to follow your dream. Fact is, it's not nearly as easy to go about doing this as some originally anticipate, and some aren't even sure of what their "dream" is, exactly. They don't call them starving artists for nothing (though, thanks to welfare, "starving" is probably the wrong word to use).

My only concern with money is that they only give you 6 months before you better damn well sure start paying those loans back. If I could just get myself going IMMEDIATELY then I wouldn't be so worried, but...yeah.

Yep, my folks have encouraged me in every way they could. Bless them, though it's entirely possible I could let them down.

My mother has always been incredibly supportive. My father, on the other hand ... he's the kind of person who won't pressure overtly too much, but he'll drop irritating hints. Or he'll find a news story like how the highest paying career in New Zealand is law, latch onto it, and mention it at random intervals over the next couple of months. Yeah, that's great, Dad, but I don't fucking care.

So how much bullshit do you need to go through to be a pilot?

My biggest obstacle would probably be medical, I have the slightest concern about my hearing. It's by no means bad, but it's imperfect. Or maths.

Otherwise it's a big memory exercise, plus being cool and coping under pressure. Which is where I thrive.

Basically, people who I would have picked as far less capable when I was in school are lurning 2 fly and they're having no trouble.

:wave:

luckily for me my sister was the "smart" one.:D My Dad says she's book smart and I'm street smart. Hooray for me, I can live on the streets more efficiently than my sis :lol: It took the pressure off me and means that I can now pursue my lucrative career as a shop girl . . . . .

My biggest obstacle would probably be medical, I have the slightest concern about my hearing. It's by no means bad, but it's imperfect. Or maths.

Otherwise it's a big memory exercise, plus being cool and coping under pressure. Which is where I thrive.

Basically, people who I would have picked as far less capable when I was in school are lurning 2 fly and they're having no trouble.

Don't go to loud concerts and you should be OK. :wink:

Two of the guys I knew at high school wanted to fly. Specifically, they wanted to be Air Force pilots. One was my best friend at the time and he was exactly what the Air Force wanted - except he failed a small but crucial part of the medical test, I think to do with his heart. The other guy was a fucking moron who tagged along just because he idolised my friend, and he got roundly rejected straight away because he bombed the most basic of intelligence tests. He now works at his parents' shop for a few days, drinks far too heavily, has unprotected sex with skanks he doesn't know, and probably has half of the world's known STDs by now. I like to think of his pilot aspirations and laugh heartily.

or at the very least you could clean up on the Einstein Factor :up:

:laugh:

Now there's an intimidating game show. I've always thought I could own Millionaire (except for the part where I could never tolerate that insufferable git, Eddie McGuire), but the Einstein Factor? Fucking hell, that'd be hard.

Don't go to loud concerts and you should be OK. :wink:

Two of the guys I knew at high school wanted to fly. Specifically, they wanted to be Air Force pilots. One was my best friend at the time and he was exactly what the Air Force wanted - except he failed a small but crucial part of the medical test, I think to do with his heart. The other guy was a fucking moron who tagged along just because he idolised my friend, and he got roundly rejected straight away because he bombed the most basic of intelligence tests. He now works at his parents' shop for a few days, drinks far too heavily, has unprotected sex with skanks he doesn't know, and probably has half of the world's known STDs by now. I like to think of his pilot aspirations and laugh heartily.

WHAT? Fuck, that works better in person.

Well, if I fail the medical tests here I'll just go somewhere more lax about it, like America.

And, lulz at the tag-a-long friend.

I do figure that if I fail the pilotry medical tests there's a fair bit I can still do in aviation.

:laugh:

Now there's an intimidating game show. I've always thought I could own Millionaire (except for the part where I could never tolerate that insufferable git, Eddie McGuire), but the Einstein Factor? Fucking hell, that'd be hard.

naaaah, at least they only ask you about your special subject. Imagine if you were on with a trainspotter and a U2 buff? :hmm:

WHAT? Fuck, that works better in person.

Well, if I fail the medical tests here I'll just go somewhere more lax about it, like America.

And, lulz at the tag-a-long friend.

I do figure that if I fail the pilotry medical tests there's a fair bit I can still do in aviation.

:lol: Yeah, just a bit.

I never really understood why my friend didn't pursue a different path within aviation. I think probably he had his heart set so much on being an Air Force pilot and had his hopes built up so much by blitzing everything that when he failed the medical test, it just shattered his ambition. But now he's studying to be an engineer and should be damn good at that too, so good on him.

Tag-along friends for the lulzy phailure. This guy had no interest whatsoever in being a pilot, then as soon as my friend's ambition was clear, guess who suddenly knew the entire history of aviation and was obsessed with fighter jets! Well, except for the part where even I could outsmart him ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom