Crapaud, Prince Edward Island Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That was sarcasm my friend. I have no self esteem when it comes to grades since all my best friends either had 4.0s in high school, or currently have them in college

If you're a perfectionist, having a 4.0 average can be a bitch, and unless you're a genius, that's probably what it took. I sometimes envy the folks who don't have to take their grades all that seriously. I'll probably stop caring as much once I get into college, but for right now I have to keep up my average.

Last year we did a lot of historical and theoretical stuff, now it's got some relevance.

I'm still stuck in a journalism for a bit yet, but I'm definitely not making it my major. The other choices are radio or PR, neither of those seem great either. I may choose the generic major where you can just pick a handful of papers and come out with a straight Bachelor of Communication. It's very appealing, and given I'm hoping that I won't exactly need a BCS in the future, my preferred option.

It's cool that the papers are the same for all in the first year, you then break it down to three choices in the second year (with a handful of remaining core papers, again, still relevant), and then a major for the third year, so you aren't wasting your time.

Ah, right, that's a much more convenient structure than in Arts, where if you change your mind halfway through, your earlier courses mean fuck-all. And if you don't need a BCS after university, what do you plan on doing? Are you serious about flying?

(I wouldn't be kidding if I said that if I had the vision to drive, I would throw away an academic career to drive trains.)

If you're a perfectionist, having a 4.0 average can be a bitch, and unless you're a genius, that's probably what it took. I sometimes envy the folks who don't have to take their grades all that seriously. I'll probably stop caring as much once I get into college, but right now I have to keep up my average.

What pisses me off is that I know I'm smart enough to have one, but too lazy to actually DO it. Plus the fact that i spread myself so thin with various extra curric activies and a job and whatnot.

I should stop whining. Sorry

For the record, I'm a total science nerd.

Math can go fuck itself. Every branch of it.

I found them both too easy. In science, I was wildly ahead of everybody in my grade at the end of grade nine, so people were stunned when I didn't pick a single science subject in grade ten. But you know why I was so far ahead? I was BORED SHITLESS. I'd blitz through the textbook because I had nothing else to do in class, and a teacher who didn't really like it if I tried to read a work of fiction to pass the time.

At least I care about the Humanities.

What pisses me off is that I know I'm smart enough to have one, but too lazy to actually DO it. Plus the fact that i spread myself so thin with various extra curric activies and a job and whatnot.

I should stop whining. Sorry

You're sorry about whining? I've been bitching ever since I came in here. :lmao:

I've always taken my grades personally, even when I was little I took it to heart. I've come to find out that they're really not as important as so many make them out to be, and my priorities would be best served elsewhere. Take that advice and just do the best you can. Obviously, if you have a scholarship, you're pretty sharp, and I encourage you to try, but don't kill yourself over it like I have in the past.

I found them both too easy. In science, I was wildly ahead of everybody in my grade at the end of grade nine, so people were stunned when I didn't pick a single science subject in grade ten. But you know why I was so far ahead? I was BORED SHITLESS. I'd blitz through the textbook because I had nothing else to do in class, and a teacher who didn't really like it if I tried to read a work of fiction to pass the time.

At least I care about the Humanities.

Humanities ftw :hi5:

Well..by Humanities I pretty much just mean History. The rest of them can gfy

You're sorry about whining? I've been bitching ever since I came in here. :lmao:

I've always taken my grades personally, even when I was little I took it to heart. I've come to find out that they're really not as important as so many make them out to be, and my priorities would be best served elsewhere. Take that advice and just do the best you can. Obviously, if you have a scholarship, you're pretty sharp, so I encourage you to try, but don't kill yourself over it like I have in the past.

I really did almost kill myself with it in high school. God they just push you so hard in high school to do an infinite amount of things to get into college AND maintain a ricdic high GPA, and all it serves to do to me is fry my brain. I was so glad I had such good friends in high school, and a job that I truly loved (mostly because I worked with great people).

Ah, right, that's a much more convenient structure than in Arts, where if you change your mind halfway through, your earlier courses mean fuck-all. And if you don't need a BCS after university, what do you plan on doing? Are you serious about flying?

(I wouldn't be kidding if I said that if I had the vision to drive, I would throw away an academic career to drive trains.)

I'd be fucked now if I decided I wanted to do Digital Media (whatever the fuck that is).

I'm hopefully serious about flying, I think I'm finally comfortable with the fact that I'm going to be horribly in debt. From all of the research I've done I've determined that already having a degree will only be beneficial, plus it leaves me with something to fall back on should it not work out.

You know one thing I've noticed?

University is like high school, only with less pressure. All of my friends say the exact same thing.

I love college so much more than high school. A lot less responsibility and a lot more freedom. Plus the whole being an adult thing.

I really did almost kill myself with it in high school. God they just push you so hard in high school to do an infinite amount of things to get into college AND maintain a ricdic high GPA, and all it serves to do to me is fry my brain. I was so glad I had such good friends in high school, and a job that I truly loved (mostly because I worked with great people).

I just really don't care about school anymore. Not the classic 6/7 subjects, anyway. None of what I'm interested is being taught, and the subjects I used to enjoy are now diluted with a bunch of bullshit I'm not going to need. It's a necessity, I get it, and will take my medicine appropriately, but I couldn't be bothered to stick it out any longer than necessary.

And yes, I've already been given options by my folks:

1. School
2. Work
3. GTFO

Not sure if they'll be paying my way or not. I assume so, but I have no idea what the next year will bring.

I just really don't care about school anymore. Not the classic 6/7 subjects, anyway. None of what I'm interested is being taught, and the subjects I used to enjoy are now diluted with a bunch of bullshit I'm not going to need. It's a necessity, I get it, and will take my medicine appropriately, but I couldn't be bothered to stick it out any longer than necessary.

And yes, I've already been given options by my folks:

1. School
2. Work
3. GTFO

Not sure if they'll be paying my way or not. I assume so, but I have no idea what the next year will bring.

Do you have any ideas about what you want to do? Even if parents don't want to help, you have scholarship opps don't you? And state schools are so f'ing cheap compared to everywhere else.
From my own experience, the junior year is the hardest both mentally and ...scholarly?(Not sure if that's the word I want to use). And your senior year is hard because you just want to get the fuck out. What's worse is when you get accepted to your respective college in January, and then you seriously just don't fucking care about high school any more.

I love college so much more than high school. A lot less responsibility and a lot more freedom. Plus the whole being an adult thing.

University to me was a huge fucking disappointment after high school. People kept telling me how I would thrive in university, and while it's nice to have to interact with less dumb shits, I still feel completely intellectually unsatisfied.

All this talking/ranting about stuff has made me try to write my own rant, but I don't know how the fuck to phrase this without unintentionally looking like I'm bragging. Fuck university, seriously. Or at least fuck undergrad degrees.

Do you have any ideas about what you want to do? Even if parents don't want to help, you have scholarship opps don't you? And state schools are so f'ing cheap compared to everywhere else.
From my own experience, the junior year is the hardest both mentally and ...scholarly?(Not sure if that's the word I want to use). And your senior year is hard because you just want to get the fuck out. What's worse is when you get accepted to your respective college in January, and then you seriously just don't fucking care about high school any more.

I probably will go to a local school for a couple of years. It'll get me into the swing of things and save a good chunk of change. That's what my parents are encouraging me to do, though I think they may be biased. :wink:

There is a stronger selection of subjects this year, so that's something. All I have in math is economics, which is pretty cool. That'll save me a few headaches.

I probably will go to a local school for a couple of years. It'll get me into the swing of things and save a good chunk of change. That's what my parents are encouraging me to do, though I think they may be biased. :wink:

There is a stronger selection of subjects this year, so that's something. All I have in math is economics, which is pretty cool. That'll save me a few headaches.

Well that's good, at least you have some sort of plan ;)

I remember my senior year being pretty laid back and great. I think that had a lot to do with my 12th grade english class. That was pretty much a life changing experience, since I made my 80s movie for that class early in the fall, and at that moment decided I wanted to be an editor, so, yeah, I kinda owe a lot to 12th grade XD

University to me was a huge fucking disappointment after high school. People kept telling me how I would thrive in university, and while it's nice to have to interact with less dumb shits, I still feel completely intellectually unsatisfied.

All this talking/ranting about stuff has made me try to write my own rant, but I don't know how the fuck to phrase this without unintentionally looking like I'm bragging. Fuck university, seriously. Or at least fuck undergrad degrees.

I don't feel like intellectually speaking it's all that everyone made it out to be, but living life with hardly a care like everyone said? Yes. God I don't want to leave college. Entering the real world: :yikes:

Well that's good, at least you have some sort of plan ;)

I remember my senior year being pretty laid back and great. I think that had a lot to do with my 12th grade english class. That was pretty much a life changing experience, since I made my 80s movie for that class early in the fall, and at that moment decided I wanted to be an editor, so, yeah, I kinda owe a lot to 12th grade XD

It's moments like the one you mentioned that has convinced me to avoid settling on a particular field/career at age 17. I know it's important to have an idea of what you're interested in (which I most certainly am) so you can hone in on it early, but damn...stuff happens. Minds change.

I don't feel aimless though. Not at all. There are about three or four different scenarios I want to pursue. Now I just need to find a way to strengthen the possibility of those occurring through my time spent in the classroom.

It's moments like the one you mentioned that has caused me to avoid settling on a particular field/career at age 17. I know it's important to have an idea of what you're interested in (which I most certainly am) so you can hone in on it early, but damn...stuff happens. Minds change.

I don't feel aimless though. Not at all. There are about three or four different scenarios I want to pursue. Now I just need to find a way to strengthen the possibility of those occurring through my time spent in the classroom.

I still haven't quite given up on teaching either, which is why I'm also a history major. But God, everytime I go to one of my film classes, it all just makes so much sense and I'm so completely happy. I'm more scared about actually getting a job after college. It just seems so ridiculously hard to get into film.

I still haven't quite given up on teaching either, which is why I'm also a history major. But God, everytime I go to one of my film classes, it all just makes so much sense and I'm so completely happy. I'm more scared about actually getting a job after college. It just seems so ridiculously hard to get into film.

I'm in the same boat. I have a love and passion for the work I do, but it's not lucrative in the slightest. Kind of sucks, but it's not worth pursuing something you already hate, I figure.

/youthful optimism

I don't feel like intellectually speaking it's all that everyone made it out to be, but living life with hardly a care like everyone said? Yes. God I don't want to leave college. Entering the real world: :yikes:

This is why I'm going on to postgrad and an academic career? :wink:

As for intellectually challenging, I managed to get to the top of second year History at the best university in the whole fucking Southern Hemisphere IN MY SLEEP. I'm so bored bored bored bored BORED with university, I have almost no motivation left, and I sincerely wonder what on earth everybody else must be handing in if, by comparison, I deserve the marks I'm getting. I think my work is utter rubbish, personally. Poor argumentation, inadequate research, incomplete substantiation, all merely regurgitating what a thousand people have said before me. I'll take the scholarship prize money, but I don't believe the accolades (I think this is the first time I've even mentioned that I won that award since I actually received it and nearly fell off my fucking chair in shock).

I'm in the same boat. I have a love and passion for the work I do, but it's not lucrative in the slightest. Kind of sucks, but it's not worth pursuing something you already hate, I figure.

/youthful optimism

I feel so blessed/lucky/whatever to have parents that don't try to push me in any one direction. I wouldn't know what to do if they were just like "So you're going to be a doctor, off to school with you.'" Doing a job I hate the rest of my life? Thnx no

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom