Crap, Albania Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Serena!

Right, well I think it'd be pretty cool to visit even as a natural hill, but yeah I wouldn't be in any rush, especially if you've got other things planned.

and as an interesting local tourist location, as lots of people are still excited about it.

oh my god maybe the library isn't closing, the kiddies just showed up who were learning badly pronounced english this morning. but i don't know, maybe it is, ok it is. :wave: i will catch you all some time, somewhere, certainly i'll make an effort to get on from bar montenegro where i should be next weekend or so.

Quiet evenings can be good. :yes:
Especially for reading and nerding out. :D

Hell yes. :drool:

I need to return to the books that I was reading during the university semester but then put aside when work got on top of me ...

Let's talk her into it. Hell, I'll be drunkposting at some point too. There's rugby on free-to-air TV on Saturday night. :fuckyeah:
:lol: Saturday might be the day I do my celebrating since my birthday is on a Sunday and well, Sundays...fail for drinking.

My father's computer blew up this morning, while I was still asleep. All of our iTunes music, school assignments from this year, and our family's digital photographs are all lost.

oh my god maybe the library isn't closing, the kiddies just showed up who were learning badly pronounced english this morning. but i don't know, maybe it is, ok it is. :wave: i will catch you all some time, somewhere, certainly i'll make an effort to get on from bar montenegro where i should be next weekend or so.

Have good and safe travels, Vazza! Looking forward to seeing you again soon! :wave:

Have a good one Vaz. :wave:

Hi there! :wave:
How'd your morning go? You didn't get a hangover, did you?

Not too much of a hangover, but a pretty blistering headache that's only disappeared tonight. I wanted to get rid of that vodka, though... it had been in my room for too long! But since the actual results weren't too pleasant, I probably won't bother with it again for a while.

i mean, fewer people have cars. the fact that there even are schedules is more certainty than in africa, where there were just vans with routes and no published anything anywhere and you just had to askt he driver where it was going. for major cities and international destinations they did have real buses with schedules, i took one from accra to kumasi and back.

ok maybe it isn't closing. i'm so confused. i do have to go relatively soon as i told my host mom i'd be home for lunch around 4:30. the meal schedules are pretty weird.

I need to return to the books that I was reading during the university semester but then put aside when work got on top of me ...
Procrastination for the win!
When I was still in school, I had a habit of returning my books at the last possible date or they wound up being overdue more often than not. Whoops. :lol: It's not my fault that when I read something, I can't put it down! :D

My father's computer blew up this morning, while I was still asleep. All of our iTunes music, school assignments from this year, and our family's digital photographs are all lost.

Fuck! It ... blew up?! Like ... in such a way that data recovery is completely out of question? Because that'd be terrible if you just completely lost all that stuff. I make a point of storing all my photographs in two places, and shall soon make that three.

Not too much of a hangover, but a pretty blistering headache that's only disappeared tonight. I wanted to get rid of that vodka, though... it had been in my room for too long! But since the actual results weren't too pleasant, I probably won't bother with it again for a while.
That sounds familiar...

I'd say 75% of my music isn't on hard copies. I've legitimately lost hundreds of dollars of music, plus everything I ever downloaded.

Have a good one Vaz. :wave:

Ew. blistering headaches for the fail. Often times when I don't get a bad hangover, it's usually bad headaches. I am often times the same way. If I have a less than pleasant experience with alcohol and I still have some of it the next day, it's not getting touched for a while, if I don't just give it to someone else who will drink it, as I've been known to do.
Last time I got a hangover and I still had a bottle of mint schnapps, so I gave it to my brother in exchange for him to get me a bottle of V8. :lol:

Fuck! It ... blew up?! Like ... in such a way that data recovery is completely out of question? Because that'd be terrible if you just completely lost all that stuff. I make a point of storing all my photographs in two places, and shall soon make that three.

I wasn't awake, but there was "black smoke" and the house surely smells of it.

My father's taking the hard drive to tech people at his business to see if there's any chance of getting data off it.

i wish i could have done this, i couldn't take any with me to europe though. i did enjoyably read in the last 4 weeks:

4-5 issues of the economist
collapse by jared diamond
travnik chronicles (bosnia chronicles) by ivo andric, bosnian nobel winner
100 years of solitude
eats, shoots and leaves.

for my travels i have "disposable" books aka books i don't mind throwing out for weight reasons, or leaving at a hostel or trading or whatever:
2 grisham books, dumb but fun
some random book i got from parents' friends' bookswap that looks mediocre but entertaining
beirut to jerusalem by whatshisname ofthe lexus and the olive tree/new york times
a ton of ny times science sections that i saved last semester when i didn't have time to read them, also conveniently disposable

ok there is definitely another english class going on here, so it isn't closing.

i mean, fewer people have cars. the fact that there even are schedules is more certainty than in africa, where there were just vans with routes and no published anything anywhere and you just had to askt he driver where it was going. for major cities and international destinations they did have real buses with schedules, i took one from accra to kumasi and back.

ok maybe it isn't closing. i'm so confused. i do have to go relatively soon as i told my host mom i'd be home for lunch around 4:30. the meal schedules are pretty weird.

I've heard that in some African countries, they just sit and wait until the vehicle is full and then leave. Melbourne has made me far too used to well-timetabled, very frequent service, heh.

If you've time, how are the meal schedules weird? (Due to my late nights recently, my meals have been so wacky. Lunch at 2-5pm, dinner at 8-10pm.)

Can I have have one of my own drunk posts as my sig? What are the rules on that?

:lmao: I made such an ass of myself...

OMG ITS PEEFAN

and that has happened to my family once with computer and once with external, both times we were able to pay a hefty sum to a guy who could recover stuff. my external with all my pre-2007 september photos is also kaput at the moment and i haven't had time or money to recover it. but unless it literally exploded, just dying probably means someone can recover most of it.

I'd say 75% of my music isn't on hard copies. I've legitimately lost hundreds of dollars of music, plus everything I ever downloaded.
but you can get it all back - itunes will let you redownload stuff you've bought if you explain. also you can get stuff illicitly from all of us.

but that majorly sucks.

Just in case this computer thing goes south, is there any type of program out there that can rip songs from an iPod back onto a computer?

This also probably ruins my chances of my parents buying me a laptop since now they have to buy my father a new computer.

:lol: Saturday might be the day I do my celebrating since my birthday is on a Sunday and well, Sundays...fail for drinking.

Yeah, if I were you, I'd go for Saturday as the celebratory day, just for the convenience. Stay up past midnight and it counts as your proper birthday anyway!

Procrastination for the win!
When I was still in school, I had a habit of returning my books at the last possible date or they wound up being overdue more often than not. Whoops. :lol: It's not my fault that when I read something, I can't put it down! :D

Ooh, sorry, I worded that badly. I mean books of my own that I was reading in April, but then in late April and through all of May and June, my reading was occupied with university stuff, and now I'd like to return to those books I'd been reading for leisure. But yeah, I tend to hold onto stuff as much as I can. I have some railway books out on these 90 day loans that are very handy, but I often shoot past the due date because I feel like I've come to own the damn things! :lol:

but you can get it all back - itunes will let you redownload stuff you've bought if you explain. also you can get stuff illicitly from all of us.

but that majorly sucks.

I never fully trust Apple to do anything. I'm wary that they could come up with some bullshit.

My father's taking the hard drive to tech people at his business to see if there's any chance of getting data off it.
:ohmy: Sheesh! I hope they can recover the data!
My hard drive just died back in May and I still have it. I dunno whether or not the data can be retrieved since I know next to nothing about the inner workings of a computer but yeah...black smoke? Damn.

Just in case this computer thing goes south, is there any type of program out there that can rip songs from an iPod back onto a computer?

Yes, I have such a program on my iPod. Don't know if I could send it to you - once tried to copy it for my flatmate in Brisbane and it wouldn't work for him. But it means there's definitely software out there (mine's yamiPod) and I'm sure some Googling will find something of use if none of us can help.

I've heard that in some African countries, they just sit and wait until the vehicle is full and then leave. Melbourne has made me far too used to well-timetabled, very frequent service, heh.

If you've time, how are the meal schedules weird? (Due to my late nights recently, my meals have been so wacky. Lunch at 2-5pm, dinner at 8-10pm.)
yes, i once had to wait in like 95-100 degrees for a van to fill up, and you can't get out cause if people don't see people in it sometimes they'll do other stuff. it's shitty. apparently in albania there's a similar system.

meals - well, they have breakfast and then eat a pretty big meal around 3 or 4. it varies from family to family as it does anywhere. people often also have a snack in between breakfast and the big meal ("lunch") and/or a snack at like 8 or 9pm. but not necessarily. most of us brought sandwiches to school to tide us over until lunch around 4, but last weekw ith my new host mom i didn't, partly cause i was too lazy/polite to ask and partly cause her lunches are so big i'd rather have been hungry for a while than even more overfull in the end.

Wow. How the fuck does that happen?

Hope the tech people can get your family's data back.

if the computer was a pc, click reveal hidden files and you will literally be able to drag the songs back on. they are stored in 100s of folders on your ipod as files with 4-letter names. i did this when my external died (it had my whole itunes on it) and most songs retained their info when i moved them back to itunes, but some were still 4 letter names (1%?) and i had to listen to figure out what they were. could suck if that happened to bootleg songs, for example.

if you don't want to be a cheapy and do the manual thing, you can pay 5-20 dollars, google it.

if the computer was a pc, click reveal hidden files and you will literally be able to drag the songs back on. they are stored in 100s of folders on your ipod as files with 4-letter names. i did this when my external died (it had my whole itunes on it) and most songs retained their info when i moved them back to itunes, but some were still 4 letter names (1%?) and i had to listen to figure out what they were. could suck if that happened to bootleg songs, for example.

if you don't want to be a cheapy and do the manual thing, you can pay 5-20 dollars, google it.

Where does this option for revealing hidden files come up?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom