Craggy Island Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That's cool. You into electronica at all, Ax?

Got to admit it's a genre I haven't explored at all. I'm aware there's quite substantial differences between various types of music along those lines despite how some people lump them together, like IDM and electronica, but I couldn't tell you what's what.

Some of the electronic stuff that 65 Days Of Static have brought into their post-rock is pretty enjoyable and interesting.

Mine's being haulted for DI, but I'm looking at continuing Led Zeppelin and R.E.M. pretty soon.

I need to flesh out my REM collection. I actually don't have Life's Rich Pageant, believe it or not. It's the one eighties REM album I don't have. And post-Automatic, all I've got is Monster.

Led Zep doesn't interest me.

Got to admit it's a genre I haven't explored at all. I'm aware there's quite substantial differences between various types of music along those lines despite how some people lump them together, like IDM and electronica, but I couldn't tell you what's what.

Some of the electronic stuff that 65 Days Of Static have brought into their post-rock is pretty enjoyable and interesting.

Yeah, I divide it between Electronica (Moby), Industrial (Nine Inch Nails), and Dance (LCD Soundsystem) myself. Maybe you can start off with a band like M83 and go from there. I could see you liking the first two artists I mentioned, too.

Frus going into Rob's favorite band was terrific. Love both songs, too.

Time Goes Back (which I personally didn't care all that much for, it's OK)--->Don't Panic is a wonderful segue. Hats off to you.

I need to flesh out my REM collection. I actually don't have Life's Rich Pageant, believe it or not. It's the one eighties REM album I don't have. And post-Automatic, all I've got is Monster.

Led Zep doesn't interest me.

Up is great, like El-Mel said, and New Adventures in Hi-Fi is their last album with Bill Berry - really great album, too.

Great transition going into "Eleanor," a Franz track I've thought about using from time to time.

Yeah, I divide it between Electronica (Moby), Industrial (Nine Inch Nails), and Dance (LCD Soundsystem) myself. Maybe you can start off with a band like M83 and go from there. I could see you liking the first two artists I mentioned, too.

Frus going into Rob's favorite band was terrific. Love both songs, too.

Ooh, I've liked what I've heard of M83, and reviews of their stuff seem to almost always be glowing, so I should get around to listening to them. I know I've heard Moby and NIN songs around, but I couldn't tell you what I thought of them. And yeah, the LCD Soundsystem tracks in past DIs haven't done a whole lot for me.

:laugh: I bet PFan's going to incur Rob's wrath for that tracklist choice. :wink:

Ooh, I've liked what I've heard of M83, and reviews of their stuff seem to almost always be glowing, so I should get around to listening to them. I know I've heard Moby and NIN songs around, but I couldn't tell you what I thought of them. And yeah, the LCD Soundsystem tracks in past DIs haven't done a whole lot for me.

:laugh: I bet PFan's going to incur Rob's wrath for that tracklist choice. :wink:

In LCD's defense, most of what's been used comes from the more rock-oriented album, Sound of Silver, not the more dance-heavy eponymous album.

Loved the transition going into "Over the Hills..." I remember that being one of my favorite parts of El-Mel's first list, too.

Up is great, like El-Mel said, and New Adventures in Hi-Fi is their last album with Bill Berry - really great album, too.

Cool. I'm just loading Sordo now, to see what REM and M83 they have. Might as well start there.

Definitely I'm in a mood right now to discover music that isn't blindingly obviously up my alley. I have plenty of metal, post-rock, Dunedin Sound stuff, and it's probably why Tinariwen's "desert blues" has so captivated me these last few days - it is completely different to my usual fare.

This is my Bowie top ten. It is pretty unique based on my love for a certain album. :wink:

1. A New Career In A New Town
2. I’m Deranged
3. Hallo Spaceboy
4. Voyuer of Utter Destruction
5. Heroes
6. Life On Mars?
7. 5:15 The Angels Have Gone
8. Battle For Britian (The Letter)
9. Moonage Daydream
10. Outside

As always, I recommend John Frusciante, and I have a link to a page with his full discography if you're thinking about it.

Other than that, none of my recommendations would be very original.

This is my Bowie top ten. It is pretty unique based on my love for a certain album. :wink:

1. A New Career In A New Town
2. I’m Deranged
3. Hallo Spaceboy
4. Voyuer of Utter Destruction
5. Heroes
6. Life On Mars?
7. 5:15 The Angels Have Gone
8. Battle For Britian (The Letter)
9. Moonage Daydream
10. Outside

1. "Heroes"
2. Life on Mars?
3. Queen Bitch
4. Starman
5. Young Americans
6. Teenage Wildlife
7. Rock n' Roll Suicide
8. Panic in Detroit
9. Magic Dance
10. Moonage Daydream

The first 3 never change, while the others are kind of arbitrary.

"Over the Hills..." going into Bowie's "Memories of a Free Festival" would sound fantastic.

The "Wet Sand" transition sounded good, my favorite RHCP track of the '00s. :up:

Agreed on the transition. Always a favorite too.

I remember listening to that part of your list on a boat on San Antonio's RiverWalk at night - great times there.

Flow-wise, I'd give this list a grade of Flomax.

As always, I recommend John Frusciante, and I have a link to a page with his full discography if you're thinking about it.

Other than that, none of my recommendations would be very original.

Sure, I'd be happy to give at least an album a try.

OK, before I do too much downloading, I better get some crap off my computer onto the external hard drive. I've less than a GB of spare space! :laugh:

1. "Heroes"
2. Life on Mars?
3. Queen Bitch
4. Starman
5. Young Americans
6. Teenage Wildlife
7. Rock n' Roll Suicide
8. Panic in Detroit
9. Magic Dance
10. Moonage Daydream

The first 3 never change, while the others are kind of arbitrary.

1. "Heroes"
2. Station to Station
3. Life on Mars?
4. Panic in Detroit
5. Teenage Wildlife
6. Rock 'n' Roll Suicide
7. Unwashed and Somewhat Slightly Dazed
8. Watch That Man
9. Five Years
10. Space Oddity

I rank his albums:

1. Station to Station
2. Space Oddity
3. Ziggy Stardust
4. Low
5. Aladdin Sane
6. "Heroes"
7. Scary Monsters
8. Lodger
9. Hunky Dory
10. Diamond Dogs
11. 1. Outside
12. Heathen
13. Young Americans

I think Heathen needs a few more spins, though.

I'm sort of surprised you don't like I'm Deranged or Hallo Spaceboy. They are just so amazing.

The first track is one of my favorites off of Outside, along with "Strangers...", "The Motel," and "Oxford Town," but the second one doesn't do anything for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom